Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spartacus: Gods Of The Arena [US] **Spoilers**

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

YES!...the wait is almost over...ONE more day!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭DeWitt

Almost forgot about this.

For those of you who can't wait, why not indulge in a 14 minute preview? ;)

If that dosen't wet the blood thirst, how about a couple more? ;)

By Jupiters cock!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

If there was more than a day to go then I'd crack and watch them but I think I'll hold strong and stay away from them till tomorrow :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Batiatus Talking to Spartacus: “To kiss my cheek only to finger my ass"

even if we get one line half as epic as that one the wait will be worth it.

I can't remember the last time I was looking forward to a show starting so much.

YEE-HAW!...HDTV screen dusted down, i've got my copcorn chicken and a thirst for the most graphic show on tv!

Let the games begin!!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I'm most looking forward to seeing John Hannah chewing up the scenery, delivering epic insults as Batiatus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

by jupiters c0ck lets get it on :D

don ramo wrote: »
    by jupiters c0ck lets get it on :D
    Although Rome's "By Juno's cu*t!" was great too!

• Advertisement

It's gonna be a good night lads, we've got Fringe and Sparty!....next Friday we'll have Smallville. Portlandia starts tonight also.

Grrr!...hurry up Sparty!! [edit - YES!!, woo hoo!!!]

Awesome!!! :D
    Yes!, it's everything you'd expect and want from Spartacus!!....bloody awesome opener, i'm liking Dustin Clare/Gannicus....all the old faces are here with a few new ones.

It's interesting now good Selonius is good friends with Batiatus, the way Steven S. DeKnight has structured this really ties in well with the first series. Lucretia and Crixus haven't started f*cking yet, Oenamous (before he became Doctore) and Melitta, clearly Gannius is gonna start f*cking her soon...they've definately hinted at that.

I guess we'll also see the beginning of Crixus and Naevia, brilliant action...tons of gore and sex!, Jaime Murray/Gaia is clearly the new Illythia. She's very good in the role...i've been keeping an eye on her for sometime, a very good but highly underrated actress.

GOTA is everything you love about series one, great dialogue, great characters, solid acting, gore, blood, sex, extreme violence, plotting and backstabbing.

Jupiters cock it's good to have it back! :D

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1758429/board/

http://popwatch.ew.com/2011/01/22/spartacus-gods-of-the-arena-premiere/

http://www.afterelton.com/TV/recaps/spartacus/201

http://www.cinemablend.com/celebrity/Spartacus-Gods-Arena-Review-Series-Premiere-29509.html

Wtf?!....come on people this is EVENT television, has no one seen it?...anyway promo for ep. 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I'm gonna wait for Sky to pick it up I think... unless its on Hulu?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Wtf?!....come on people this is EVENT television, has no one seen it?...anyway promo for ep. 2
    Meh.. it's simply "adequate" television for me!

Will wait til the season's over and watch all 6 together.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Wtf?!....come on people this is EVENT television, has no one seen it?

Indeed it is, and yes I have. All I can say is that it was ...

Fukking brilliant. Even with no Spartacus, it maintains the same appeal. Batiatus and Selonious are best friends! Lucretia can still attract the psycho bitches (you just know she's Jamie Murray is going to be a psycho bitch). Doctore (before he was Doctore) was married to a slave of Batiatus. What becomes of her?

So good to have it back. Waiting patiently for next week, and avoiding previews as I don't want to spoil anything.

^ it's not a spoiler if you've seen Blood & Sand, but i'll spoiler tag it about Melitta
    Doctore mentioned in Blood & Sand that his wife was killed, so we'll surely see this

This is a prequel, we know who's gonna get killed...but maybe someone like Gaia will survive this prequel and show up in season 2?
    further to this point, the above plotpoint will [hopefully] go on to give context and further explain WHY Doctore gave on on his duty and honour to the Ludis stuff and joined the Sparty rebellion.

Considering he found out Batiatus was in fact responsible for Sparty's wife being killed, or he may have just emphtiised because of the betrayal aspect.

very good interview with steven s. deknight; http://collider.com/steven-s-deknight-interview-spartacus-gods-of-the-arena/71855/

Very enjoyable. It's utter popcorn trash on many levels, but like the best of the summer blockbusters it doesn't matter. Batiatus and Lucretia are great fun on screen, even then trying to crawl their way up the social ladder whatever way they can.
    Seeing their past is interesting too and wondering how exactly they get to where we saw them in "Blood and Sand". How many years ago is it set relative to B&S?
    Looking forward to the insanity that Lucretia's lastest pal is going to bring too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Great having this show back on again even if its only 6 episodes. Batiatus as always stole every scene he was in and now that he's been ****ed over it will be joyous watching him scheme and deliver payback on those who screwed him :)

Seeing him being friends with Selonius was pretty cool. Out of interest how long before Blood and Sand is this set?

only just gotta chance to watch this, excellent start, some great stories already set up, with new faces and old ones, it will be interesting to see how selonius works his way up the ladder, seeing as he currently seems like batiatus equal, even a bit below him,

i wonder if gannicus will be in it more, surely batiatus will come up with some way of keeping him, maybe he does move to another ludus and hes being set-up for season 2 of blood and sand,

you can see oenamous trying to resist becomeing doctore, and its hard to see crixus becoming champion,

even without spartacus it seems like were in for a great time, some very interesting stories that i cant wait to see unfold, they probably could have gotten 12 eps out of it going by whats been set-up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

jor el wrote: »
    ... Even with no Spartacus, it maintains the same appeal....
    I completely agree. Actually, I'm surprised they didnt just say to hell with the Spartacus angle and just concentrate on the prequel altogether since they have fully closed a chapter of the Spartacus storyline anyway when they
    take over the ludis and escape
    . I know there is a lot more to Spartacus but still, where they go now will be a very different storyline and without at least one of the best characters (Batiatus) so that in itself would almost be a completely different series from season 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

basquille wrote: »
    Will wait til the season's over and watch all 6 together.

Same for me, get all the episodes, savour and indulge - the only thing I now watch at "drip drip" pace is stuff without a coherent plot - everything else is watched "box set" style - the "TV" industry is dead to me, I don't want to watch anything every Thursday at nine no more, nor even one episode a week.

Spartacus was great last year, pity about the lead man - let's hope he beats it - I'm really looking forward to watching this all late Feb!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Well that was great. So good to have this show back. Even without Andy it really maintains the feel & style of the first series. Also love the additions to the cast. More please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

don ramo wrote: »
    even without spartacus it seems like were in for a great time, some very interesting stories that i cant wait to see unfold, they probably could have gotten 12 eps out of it going by whats been set-up

Sadly the 6 ep limit was probably set down when they thought Andy would be returning to the role in the hope that by then he would be recovered and they would be able to seemlessly segue from production of the prequel into the production of the second season , rather then as events have transpired seeing Andy Regretfully having to pull out all together and search for a replacement begun .

Curtailed season or not I have faith that Steven D Knight can pull it off .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

JohnK wrote: »
    I know there is a lot more to Spartacus but still, where they go now will be a very different storyline and without at least one of the best characters (Batiatus) so that in itself would almost be a completely different series from season 1.

That is one thing about season 2, there'll be no John Hannah, and he was a huge part of the show. I'd as soon have this prequel go on a bit longer, than have have season 2.

jor el wrote: »
    That is one thing about season 2, there'll be no John Hannah, and he was a huge part of the show. I'd as soon have this prequel go on a bit longer, than have have season 2.

True John Hannahs Batiatus will be missed a fact I'm sure the shows creators realised when they decided to spare Ashur when all around him were getting their cummuppence feeling perhaps that he could fill in that role . Perhaps maneuvring himself into Glaba(sp?) inner circle as an advisor on Spartacus likely next moves .

Ashur is the ultimate survivor and snake, while i'm sad to lose Batiatus as a character in the context of the show i get why he had to die. I guess the compromise was aloowing Lucretia not to die, which....imo, is a mistake.

Simply because her wound was sooo severe + payback + it just dosen't make sense to survive based on the S1 finale. But she's coming back so that's that.

I'm actually glad Illythia and Ashur survived, clearly Glaber will be a bigger character in S2 + the pleasure of seeing both of them get what's coming by seasons end.

Ashur is the ultimate survivor and snake, while i'm sad to lose Batiatus as a character in the context of the show i get why he had to die. I guess the compromise was aloowing Lucretia not to die, which....imo, is a mistake.

Simply because her wound was sooo severe + payback + it just dosen't make sense to survive based on the S1 finale. But she's coming back so that's that.

I'm actually glad Illythia and Ashur survived, clearly Glaber will be a bigger character in S2 + the pleasure of seeing both of them get what's coming by seasons end.

Agree with you on Glabar Looking foward to seeing Glaber rubbing shoulders with the such Roman luminaries present and future as Marcus Crassus , Cato the elder and a young Julius Caesar when he returns to Rome as Spartacus's nascent rebellion begins to become a concern to the Senate .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

A great 1st episode. Really sets the scene and threads for the rest of this mini-season.

Will be fascinating to watch Batiatus' and Lucretia's ascent to power and wealth. From watching this, Lucretia hasn't always been so evil (for wont of a better word). So clearly Gaia I reckon will influence her otherwise. Also interesting to see that Solonius and Batiatus were once good mates.

Gannicus is an excellent and charismatic lead. Inevitably it looks like he's gonna end up with Oenomaus' wife. Possibly I think Gannicus will get seriously injured in the arena at some point (leaving him some time with his best friend's lady) leading to....

...the rise of Crixus! And it's gonna be good. Looking forward to this the most. Great character.

Barca is not too enamoured with Crixus or the new other recruits, so will also be interesting to see how Crixus ultimately earn's his respect / friendship.

I wonder will we see Varro at some point , he acted as spartacus's and our guide to ludus life in that first season suggesting he had been there for a while how long we don't know of course . Maybe they could introduce him in the final episode with a new batch of recruits as Gannicus leaves on a stretcher bloodied and battered after a fight with either Crixus or onimaoius a lesson on the brutality he will become accustomed too in the future .

• Advertisement

Ratings are in, did better the the premiere last January....honestly, i expected ALOT better. I thought 1.5-2 million considering the promotion and buzz. But Starz is only available in 22 million homes in the US: http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2011/01/24/friday-cable-ratings-gold-rush-alaska-nba-lead-night-smackdown-victorious-merlin-morepartacus/79946

Spartacus: Gods of the Arena (STARZ, 10:01pm, 57 minutes)
    - 1.097 million viewers
    - 0.7/1 HH
    - 0.5/1 A18-49

Ratings are in, did better the the premiere last January....honestly, i expected ALOT better. I thought 1.5-2 million considering the promotion and buzz. But Starz is only available in 22 million homes in the US: http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2011/01/24/friday-cable-ratings-gold-rush-alaska-nba-lead-night-smackdown-victorious-merlin-morepartacus/79946

Spartacus: Gods of the Arena (STARZ, 10:01pm, 57 minutes)
    - 1.097 million viewers
    - 0.7/1 HH
    - 0.5/1 A18-49
    taking in the later repeat it ended up drawing 1.9 million altogether, so has out-performed all of season 1 of spartacus already, and i would say that it probably will increase as it goes,

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/01/24/gods-of-the-arena-rating/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Making Crixus into Spartacus here was so obvious yet so genius !!!!!!!!! as well as adding the girl on girl stuff............... epic win !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Nothing like two women enjoying a good old hit of Opium!
    Garricus is an awesome cocky bastard! Getting pissed on the side of a cliff, as you do!!!

Knowing what happens in the original season, it's really easy to see how it gets there though. Still, blood, guts, bewbs... Win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Epic start to the season, I totally forgot about it. Probably the best episode after the season finale. Only issue with it was why did they put all the spoilers at the start for season 1? You didn't need to know them and might have been better for 1st time viewers. I wish I could go back and watch it from the prequel on. Can't wait for the next one. Loving the twists already.

Loving it already. Gannicus is an excellent addtion the show & it saddens me to think we only have 6eps with him.

Really looking forward to tonight, i went mad and grabbed ep. 1 in 1080i....6GB!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭virmilitaris

Why are the cousins so late tonight ?

Why are the cousins so late tonight ?

:( no sign of ep. 2 - thank god for Fringe!, or Smallville either :(

[edit - woo hoo!, finally!!]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Very strong episode. Ending scenes were :eek:

Gannicus saying he would **** his way out of trouble, way to jinx it. :pac:

Batiatus will be sorely missed in season 2, he's a fantastic character.

This mini-series should be renamed to "Batiatus: Lord of the Arena". He was great in this! Loved the pissed off look he threw when he was asked to make his men fight with steel.

This was epic in it's awesomeness!!...just when i thought nothing could top ep. 1 this baby dropped!....loads happened, Doctore is now...Doctore, Gannicus forced to f*ck Melitta, did anyone see how she started to enjoy it?, Crixius coming into his own, what's interesting is Ashur and Crixus seem friends...that'll change.

Batiatus/John Hannah was fantastic in this ep., brilliant fight scenes, loved the flashbacks to previous gladiator champions from the house of Batiatus. Thought the quality of the CGI looked alot better in this ep. as well. So many betrayals in one ep. Gaia is one sneaky vixen!, without question the best show on tv right now!

I have SPOLIERS re; Gannicus and Spartacus: Vengence --> http://www.denverpost.com/television/ci_17136855

I totally disagree with this guys review of ep. 2: http://www.tvsquad.com/2011/01/28/spartacus-starz/

"At this point, I'm a bit worried that the plots of this abbreviated season will proceed in a mechanical fashion -- i.e., Oenemaus/Doctore will eventually find out about Gannicus' betrayal, Gannicus and Oenomaus/Doctore will end up fighting each other, Gannicus will end up dead, Crixus will be the one to wound Ashur before gaining the mark of the Brotherhood, etc"...

^ the writers have to follow events from season 1 and tie it into the prequel, of course we know who lives and dies, but it's HOW those characters get to live is the interesting part, it's well established Crixus made Ashur lame and no longer able to fight, the point is HOW did those events unfold?

Consider that from the prequel it appears Crixus and Ashur are (sorta) friends, so is a betrayal involved?, does Cruxus do whatever it takes to become champ?, or do they fight in the arena?

We know Melitta dies...but how?, was it Gannicus?, and if yes then it'll be VERY interesting in season 2 when Doctore and Gannicus meet up!
    sure scenes are telegraphed, Lucretia in ep. 1 saying she'd never lay with a filthy slave [irony alert!], next shot we see Crixus, the point is HOW does Lucretia and Crixus arrive at that point and how it invloves Naevia.

IMO that reviewer is nitpicking or just dosen't get the point of a prequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Saw the 1st episode earlier today. Great to have it back and it's just as strong as the best bits of Blood and Sand so far. Some great gore there.

I agree it's a shame that this is only 6 episodes long but i think it will lead brilliantly to the start of Season 1 and I'm already planning on watching season 1 again once this is all said and done.

Hope to get time to watch ep 2 tonight and will chime in on it then but all in all this is great tv.

Episode 2: 10/10

Shizz that was all sorts of awesomeness. I think I'm enjoying this much more than 'Blood & Sand'. I know it's a bit early to say say considering it is onyl episode 2. But I already feel a greater compassion towards Gannicus than Spartacus.

In other news>>>> HENRY CAVILL IS SUPERMAN.
    Apologies, I can't contain my excitement :D

• Advertisement

I totally disagree with this guys review of ep. 2: http://www.tvsquad.com/2011/01/28/spartacus-starz/

"At this point, I'm a bit worried that the plots of this abbreviated season will proceed in a mechanical fashion -- i.e., Oenemaus/Doctore will eventually find out about Gannicus' betrayal, Gannicus and Oenomaus/Doctore will end up fighting each other, Gannicus will end up dead, Crixus will be the one to wound Ashur before gaining the mark of the Brotherhood, etc"...

^ the writers have to follow events from season 1 and tie it into the prequel, of course we know who lives and dies, but it's HOW those characters get to live is the interesting part, it's well established Crixus made Ashur lame and no longer able to fight, the point is HOW did those events unfold?

Consider that from the prequel it appears Crixus and Ashur are (sorta) friends, so is a betrayal involved?, does Cruxus do whatever it takes to become champ?, or do they fight in the arena?

We know Melitta dies...but how?, was it Gannicus?, and if yes then it'll be VERY interesting in season 2 when Doctore and Gannicus meet up!
    sure scenes are telegraphed, Lucretia in ep. 1 saying she'd never lay with a filthy slave [irony alert!], next shot we see Crixus, the point is HOW does Lucretia and Crixus arrive at that point and how it invloves Naevia.

IMO that reviewer is nitpicking or just dosen't get the point of a prequel.
    make up your mind will gannicus live or die:rolleyes:

another great episode, how the hell do the writers do it,

gaia is a snake and knows how to get what she wants, currently shes helping batiatus rise up the ladder, no doubth shell also be involved in the position he finds themselfs in at the start of season 1,

from what i remember ashur and crixus
    are made fight side by side and crixus sacrifices ashur for the win,

keep it coming :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Haven't read any of the above. But going to watch part 2 in a bit. Looking forward to it. Loved the first ep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

and if yes then it'll be VERY interesting in season 2 when Doctore and Gannicus meet up!
    Er, what. How do you know this :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Vokes wrote: »
    Er, what. How do you know this :confused:
    Check the link in his earlier post: http://www.denverpost.com/television/ci_17136855

Hmm... links don't seem to work in spoilers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Watched the 2nd episode last night and this just get's better and better.

From the great opening scene of Batiatus waking up in the street after his beating, to exacting some revenge and managing to secure his man for the Primus, it was all great.

Gaia is a great character (if a little bit too Ilythia) and how can you not love the actress.

Gannicus brings alot of charm to his scenes and Oenomaus who was great in the 1st season as Doctore gets some good fleshing out here.

Easily one of the most enjoyable and entertaining shows around at the moment and I can't wait for my next fix.

• Advertisement
Advertisement