Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Desire 1 click root

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

opus wrote: »
    You've got the same ROM as me there so you're good to go. The difference is that I repartitioned my sd card afterwards which enabled the non-froyo apps2sd magic that's included in that ROM.
    So can I can just format and partition my sd card now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,534 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Ok so after my root I installed FroYo with Sense - second option above. So do I now need to get the ROM you mentioned and install? Jaysus I am n00b :o
    Did you install the radio update (the second zip file). No perceivable difference, but you may want to apply it anyway. Maybe do a backup beforehand. But it wont affect your ability (or inability) to install apps to SD.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Did you install the radio update (the second zip file). No perceivable difference, but you may want to apply it anyway. Maybe do a backup beforehand. But it wont affect your ability (or inability) to install apps to SD.
    Ya I installed the radio update, btw anyone know of a fix actually get the the radio to work :-/

So now do I just format my sd card and partition it accordingly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

Finally got a chance to do this today, both rooting and 2.2 done without any issues using xp pc. So that would appear was my issue when using Windows 7. Thanks lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

Probably gonna give this a shot soon.

How long does the whole thing take including backing up and reinstalling apps after?

Is it pretty simple to do following the steps a few posts back?

For the non froyo apps 2 SD, does this work ok with the class 2 SD you get with the phone and how much of my SD card should I partition for apps? I only have the stock 4 gb one for the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭seanin4711

only problem is i cannot connect to the mobile internet now!!!
    i connect through wireless & networks,tick mobile internet and no icon on the home screen saying H,3G etc nothing!
    Really have to back up everything with something like titanium backup as only about 20% of apps will back up to original state!
    ie cardio trainer backed up all history gone after froyo with sense!
    slan
    john

Was thinking of changing ROM next week but just noticed that the stock FroYo won't have the FM radio working which I use quite a lot. Does anyone know if the OpenDesire ROM has the radio app working?

Open desire
    no mobile internet anyone else have this issue???
    thanks
    s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

Ya I installed the radio update, btw anyone know of a fix actually get the the radio to work :-/

That's all I did anyway, expected to have to do more but seems the ROM picked up on the new partition and moved a lot of the apps onto it. It's not clear how to know what's where now.

Do you mean the FM radio? That worked fine for me after installing the ROM.
    seanin4711 wrote: »
    Open desire
    thanks
    s

Didn't have any problem like that after installing the ROM, did you install the new radio version as well as mentioned in the original post by pamg?

radio didnt take too long to flash,just like 10-15 secs should it have been longer???

That's all I did anyway, expected to have to do more but seems the ROM picked up on the new partition and moved a lot of the apps onto it. It's not clear how to know what's where now.

Do you mean the FM radio? That worked fine for me after installing the ROM.

Didn't have any problem like that after installing the ROM, did you install the new radio version as well as mentioned in the original post by pamg?
    Ya the FM radio. Cannot get any reception for any station :(

What did you use to do the partition?

• Advertisement

cannot connect at all I go to connect and according to the phone it is connected but when i go to my internet browser nothing!!!
    anyone have any ideas as what to do next???
    thanks
    j

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭floggg

Anybody fancy giving a quick run through on how partition the sd card?

Thanks for all the help so far guys

Ya the FM radio. Cannot get any reception for any station :(

What did you use to do the partition?

I partitioned it on my Linux PC at work as I'm well used to doing that for normal disks. If you're not a Linux admin-type then I wouldn't even start trying to explain doing it via the 'fdisk' command :)

See the tutorial thread on xda-developers which seems to suggest you can do this via the recovery menu, didn't do that myself so can't comment as to how well it works or doesn't. Main thing is to copy everything off the card first onto your PC so you have a backup as you'll have to copy it all back afterwards.

[TUT]Complete upgrading guide(root, unroot, flashing ROM & updates)

See the link called 'How To Switch to a Different SD Card (for use with Swap, Hero ROMs, etc.)'

cannot connect at all I go to connect and according to the phone it is connected but when i go to my internet browser nothing!!!
    thanks
    j

I'd check mobile settings and make sure they match your networks apn settings. Maybe they didn't reinstall properly? You can find the right settings in mobiles and pda forum in a sticky thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

How long should this take

only problem is i cannot connect to the mobile internet now!!!
    i connect through wireless & networks,tick mobile internet and no icon on the home screen saying H,3G etc nothing!
    Open desire
    thanks
    s
    BeciMester wrote: »
    After flashing OpenDesire and its new radio image my 3G reception is screwed. Is it a fault of the new radio or it's O2's crappy signal? Posting this using Edge, which sucks hard.

any of you get this sorted? it would appear this may be my issue also rather than martketenabler as i first thought

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Gryzor

floggg wrote: »
    Anybody fancy giving a quick run through on how partition the sd card?

Thanks for all the help so far guys

Get ROM Manager , it makes formatting your card simple. Its also great for installing ROM's from your SD card.

The full version is well worth the couple of euro's imo...

Gryzor wrote: »
    Get ROM Manager , it makes formatting your card simple. Its also great for installing ROM's from your SD card.

The full version is well worth the couple of euro's imo...
    I tried with ROM Manager but get an error after the reboot? I am using Froyo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Gryzor

I tried with ROM Manager but get an error after the reboot? I am using Froyo

Strange, I'm using Froyo aswell. No errors here??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭BeciMester

any of you get this sorted? it would appear this may be my issue also rather than martketenabler as i first thought
    Strangely, after a couple of reboots mine fixed itself. New issue: if WiFi is on and I put the phone to sleep, after waking it up the WiFi doesn't reconnect. Is this the "wifi sleep bug" that was fixed yesterday?

• Advertisement

Gryzor wrote: »
    Strange, I'm using Froyo aswell. No errors here??
    I get something about no update.zip on /cache /sdcard or something like that.

BeciMester wrote: »
    Strangely, after a couple of reboots mine fixed itself. New issue: if WiFi is on and I put the phone to sleep, after waking it up the WiFi doesn't reconnect. Is this the "wifi sleep bug" that was fixed yesterday?

i was just coming back to say the same, sorted itself by the looks of it

When I try partition the sdcard via ROM Manager I get the following error when the device reboots.

E:failed to seek in /cache/update.zip (Invalid arguement)

Any ideas people?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Finally put on opendesire. That was fairly painless experience. Partitioning my SD card as we speak. Going to put on launcherPro as the first thing anyway!

All installed folks, but can't get anything to save to the SD. I have it partioned and all..

Edit: I managed to get one across!

antodeco wrote: »
    All installed folks, but can't get anything to save to the SD. I have it partioned and all..

Edit: I managed to get one across!
    Same me as me and it was only one small app :(

Open desire
    thanks
    s
    thanks
    j

Yeah, the reason this is happening is because the settings they have arent "full internet settings". On mine (Meteor) they had strange Wap settings. It would allow apps connect, but not any HTML browser. You need to edit them/delete them and put in the data.mymeteor.ie settings.

dl'd rom manager and Dl'd DeFrost lastest from that and no issues so far so good!
    i love the interface but one major problem!
    phone keeps losing mobile network as in 3g ,hdspa etc as in it will not connect at all!
    I had it for the last couple of days then today would not work!
    went into wireless & networks,mobile networks,data enabled and ticked yes!
    still waiting for it to connect 10mins later!
    Starting to lose a bit of faith in the whole rom business!
    anyone have similar issues???
    I had the same problem with open desire so changed to DeFrost.
    slan
    john

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭Popple3

Got (the non-Sense) OpenDesire installed today.

Had a big problem though, mediaserver kept using up to 95% of CPU :(

Thankfully, I managed to figure it out, it was PNG files in my DCIM/100ANDRO folder. Was really surprised such a bug would happen in Gallery, just thought I'd post it here in case anyone came across the same problem.

Now enjoying Stock Froyo on my Desire now :D

• Advertisement

The sequence that worked for me was:

1) Copy the OpenDesire zip & the radio zip to a sub-folder on the SD card
    2) Turn on the phone holding down the volume down held
    3) Select the Recovery option
    4) Select the two wipe options (wipe data/factory reset & wipe cache partition)
    5) Select install zip from sdcard
    6) Navigate to the OpenDesire zip on the sdcard and select it
    7) Cross your fingers!
    8) Once the phone reboots to the new s/w, zip through the setup wizard 'til you reach the home screen & shut it down again.
    9) Turn on the phone holding down the volume down held
    10) Select the Recovery option
    11) Select install zip from sdcard
    12) Navigate to the radio zip on the sdcard and select it
    13) Once again cross your fingers!
    14) Phone does stuff & in the fullness of time comes back to life again.

Hope this helps, on my first try I didn't do the two wipes & the phone just hung at a screen with a flashing Android logo.

I copied PAMGs instructions on page 4, the comment after noting the debugging aspect and these quoted ones above and it worked fine. You do have to do the "two wipe" step or it will hang.

Other thing to note is that I installed app brain app and fast web install app and was able to put my apps back on after flashing froyo sense. I ran out of space with a few apps to go however but I'm going to look at partitioning when I've time to back uo my SD card first.

If you're going to root I'd give yourself a couple of hours spare time at least if your not entirely sure what your doing, once you do it though its easy really thanks to the unrevoked3!

Anyone get the HTC IME mod keyboard working with the official sense froyo flash?
    I much prefer it to the stock keyboard.

antodeco wrote: »
    Yeah, the reason this is happening is because the settings they have arent "full internet settings". On mine (Meteor) they had strange Wap settings. It would allow apps connect, but not any HTML browser. You need to edit them/delete them and put in the data.mymeteor.ie settings.

I am on meteor also!
    can you put up a brief run through?
    slan
    j

ps got it sorted!
    http://forums.meteor.ie/index.php?showtopic=423

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭BeciMester

Keith186 wrote: »
    Anyone get the HTC IME mod keyboard working with the official sense froyo flash?
    Working without issues here. It's always the first thing I install after a reflash. :)

It worked no problem, you just need to download the Froyo version from XDA Developers here. I've since swapped to using the SwiftKey Beta keyboard as its prediction is unreal as it learns the sort of stuff you type.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Brando_ie

I am currently mulling over rooting my desire but came across this article indicating the upcoming piracy efforts from Google and was somewhat concerned over the bullet-ted option to possibly limit legitimate app purchases to rooted phones. I guess I could just try out the rooting option and revert back if the authentication issue starts to limit what I can or cannot but on the marketplace I guess if and when we actually get a full marketplace!) Has anyone else heard anything about this or is it just an early commentary on something Google are considering for apps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭floggg

Has anybody else had an issues with the opendesire rom?

my google talk app doesn't seem to work anymore. It did for a while after rooting, but last weekend when i tried to open it, it just closed out straight away. I had installed nimbuzz, so thought that might be it. Uninstalled, and it worked again (last working on Tuesday), but today it won't open again.

Also, i just noticed that my syncing seems to be fecked. My gmail, calender, friendstream/facebook apps dont seem to work. I also have my work email routed to my htc mail app, and only seems to work if i actually open up the app myself.

Also, if i open the gmail app and hit refresh, nothing happens, even though i can see from my computer that I have received more recent emails.

Could this be an issue with the rom, or is something more sinister afoot.

I've seen from a quick google search that there are some issues with the Rom and google talk, but not sure about the syncing thing.

Am starting to think about hightailing it back to stock, especially if the froyo update is meant to be out soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭johnp

I can't get the driver to stick.
    I connect my Desire to the PC (XP), with USB Debugging.
    Device Manager says it's working properly (driver version 2.0.7.1).

When I run the unrevoked reflash.exe, it says waiting for "bootloader and make sure driver is installed". The phone shows a linuxy type screen with HBOOT, FASTBOOT, RECOVERY, CLEAR STORAGE, SIMLOCK options.
    Now I get "Found new hardware", Android Bootloader Interface.
    So I install the driver again.
    The driver installs, the unrevoked app says "waiting for reboot", the phone reboots. And I get Found New Hardware!

Phone boots normally, and I'm back to square one.
    Unrevoked apps says "Failed to flash recovery image".

Any ideas?

johnp wrote: »
    I can't get the driver to stick.
    I connect my Desire to the PC (XP), with USB Debugging.
    Device Manager says it's working properly (driver version 2.0.7.1).

When I run the unrevoked reflash.exe, it says waiting for "bootloader and make sure driver is installed". The phone shows a linuxy type screen with HBOOT, FASTBOOT, RECOVERY, CLEAR STORAGE, SIMLOCK options.
    Now I get "Found new hardware", Android Bootloader Interface.
    So I install the driver again.
    The driver installs, the unrevoked app says "waiting for reboot", the phone reboots. And I get Found New Hardware!

Phone boots normally, and I'm back to square one.
    Unrevoked apps says "Failed to flash recovery image".

Any ideas?

If you've uninstalled HTC sync, reinstall it and see will the driver in that work for you.

If you've uninstalled HTC sync, reinstall it and see will the driver in that work for you.

Cheers. I gave that a go. It keeps looping around :(
    I've tried on my home pc (using XP) and work (using Vista).

Might be a silly thing but just check you don't have super ninja and market access in your apps incase its rooted and you haven't realised.

Failing that I'd start from step one again, uninstall and redownload unrevoked and try again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

Might be another silly thing but make sure you are running off a "proper" usb port. i.e. at the back of the pc and not a hub or front port. I had issues with this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭darraghn

johnp wrote: »
    Cheers. I gave that a go. It keeps looping around :(
    I've tried on my home pc (using XP) and work (using Vista).

I have exactly the same problem. I have tried for hours to fix it.:mad:

I have tried three different PC, one with W7 64bit, Win7 32 bit, XP and the latest Unbuntu, nothing works. Now I can't even upgrade to OTA Froyo because it gets stuck in the Fastboot/Recovery loop.....

darraghn wrote: »
    I have exactly the same problem. I have tried for hours to fix it.:mad:

I have tried three different PC, one with W7 64bit, Win7 32 bit, XP and the latest Unbuntu, nothing works. Now I can't even upgrade to OTA Froyo because it gets stuck in the Fastboot/Recovery loop.....

I got the Froyo update, but even with the tips from the lads above, can't root using unrevoked.

Do you need the driver for other methods of rooting?

pretty sure you can't use unrevoked if you've updated to froyo ota. you need to be on eclaire to root, then update MANUALLY to a modified ota rom to keep your root. one is on xda developer forum.

Sully is right, unrevoked is for 2.1 only.

Ahhhh, cheers lads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭artielange

http://www.seedonk.com/

Anyone using this? I found it very easy to set up and use. Any other apps you are using that are similiar and easy to use? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭OI

Alright well finally rooted anyway and flashed the froyo rom, its the desire sense one. Mine is a branded o2,so had no choice. Everything seems to be working fine, even have 720p. Only concern is I didn't do any of that wiping lark. Should I have?

I didn't wipe either and seems to be working fine. That said I did do a couple of reboots and cleaned up some apps and setting manually - apn's etc..

I guess I went about this this wrong way!
    I waited for Froyo before trying to root.
    I presume rooting will still be possible? Or someone will work a way of doing it?
    Can you install custom roms without rooting?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement