Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Desire 1 click root

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭darraghn

I finally fixed my problem. Solution was to download:
    http://www.shipped-roms.com/shipped/Bravo/PB99IMG_Bravo_HTC_WWE_1.21.405.2_Radio_32.36.00.28U_4.06.00.02_2_release_126984_signed_txt.zip

Rename the file as PB99IMG.zip and put it in the roor folder of the sd card. Switch off the phone and restart by holding down the volume button and power. It will reflah the phone with Android 2.1 and you can then move on from that.

I tried rooting again using unrevoked and got a black screen on startup with the HTC logo and 4 warning triangles in each corner. The only way to recover was to download the official Android 2.1 RUU and reflash the phone. It took 3 attempts before it worked. Then I just gave up on rooting and dowloaded the official HTC Android 2.2 update OTA. It failed twice, each time updating and rebooting to a white screen with the green HTC logo. On the third time I took out the battery and rebooted normally. Finally it worked. I had to reboot it again before the mobile connection and the market worked. All now working normally.

I hope this helps someone.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭cullenswood

I have the driver installed, but every time I plug my phone in it keeps looking for the driver. It is wrecking my head. I have Android Bootloader Interface in device manager.

when I try to run unrevoked it just keeps saying waiting for device. Connect phone via USB.

I would literally pay someone to root my phone at this stage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

I have the driver installed, but every time I plug my phone in it keeps looking for the driver. It is wrecking my head. I have Android Bootloader Interface in device manager.

when I try to run unrevoked it just keeps saying waiting for device. Connect phone via USB.

I would literally pay someone to root my phone at this stage!

Have you uninstalled HTC Sync? (Or install it and uninstall it, but leaving the HTC driver installer)

maki wrote: »
    Have you uninstalled HTC Sync? (Or install it and uninstall it, but leaving the HTC driver installer)

I had never installed Sync as I heard it was not supposed to be there for rooting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

johnp wrote: »
    I guess I went about this this wrong way!
    I waited for Froyo before trying to root.
    I presume rooting will still be possible? Or someone will work a way of doing it?
    Can you install custom roms without rooting?

Right now you can downgrade your hboot and use the current version of unrevoke. Otherwise wait a bit and they should have 3 out again which can root all the current versions, there was an issue with evo phones and they pulled unrevoke 3 till it was fixed. I think there was an issue with it not working fully on gsm desires as well, it could still root to replace roms though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

I had never installed Sync as I heard it was not supposed to be there for rooting?
    JustinOval wrote: »

You said you can see Android Bootloader Device in Device Manager, so I presume you have the above linked drivers installed.
    You do need to install HTC Sync as it includes "HTC Driver Installer". It'll be a separate entry in Add/Remove Programs afterward so you just need to uninstall HTC Sync again and leave that installer.

maki wrote: »
    You said you can see Android Bootloader Device in Device Manager, so I presume you have the above linked drivers installed.
    You do need to install HTC Sync as it includes "HTC Driver Installer". It'll be a separate entry in Add/Remove Programs afterward so you just need to uninstall HTC Sync again and leave that installer.

Nice one, will give that a go. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

1. Run the unrevoked file.
    2. Install the HBOOT driver (there should be a guide in the folder that you just extracted unrevoked to).
    3. Uninstall HTC Sync
    4. Reboot your PC
    5. On your Desire: Goto settings -> Connect to PC > Default connection type > Disk Drive > Uncheck Ask me
    6. Start the reflash.exe as administrator
    7. Wait until it's done and you should be in recovery mode after that. You can flash any rom that you'd like from there.

If you want to flash a ROM (Provided the zips are already on your sdcard)

1. Restart your phone with VOL Down held down
    2. Navigate to RECOVERY using the volume buttons and choose power to select
    3. Once your at the screen with the red exclamation mark push Volume up and power
    4. Perform a backup
    5. Flash update from zip and follow the steps that I wrote up a few posts ago.

I followed the above steps but only got to point 7. The Desire went into bootloader then restarted the phone. I entered in my pin and waited for a bit... But the unrevoked3 app still says "waiting for reboot".

All I want is to get froyo 2.2 on my O2 phone and I figure I have to root the phone to do it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Just a bump as Unrevoked have released 3.21 which will root all versions of hboot on HTC desire's (and a few other phones as well) so it will do 2.2.

If your looking for s-off it doesn't do it on GSM desires yet and will be awhile away. If your not sure what s-off is and gives then you won't need to worry about it :) it's unrelated to changing rom's on devices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

Hi Thinking of rooting my desire soon. On the site for one click root in more info section it says for windows users to download HBoot drivers??Do you need to install them before you root on windows pc?
    I dont want any custom roms at the moment really all I want is app2sd+ I have to root for this yes? Also will any existing apps or info be lost after the root and I take it froyo will remain on it with sense UI as stock?
    Sorry for all the questions!
    Thanks
    Gav

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

hello, been trying to root my desire..
    I have installed the drivers for the hboot, and when I open the one lcikc & connect my device.. I gotg device "ace" is not supported at this time..
    any ideas?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

any ideas anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Gavman84 wrote: »
    Hi Thinking of rooting my desire soon. On the site for one click root in more info section it says for windows users to download HBoot drivers??Do you need to install them before you root on windows pc?
    I dont want any custom roms at the moment really all I want is app2sd+ I have to root for this yes? Also will any existing apps or info be lost after the root and I take it froyo will remain on it with sense UI as stock?
    Sorry for all the questions!
    Thanks
    Gav

I'm wondering exactly the same thing. would like to keep everything the way it is except install a few apps that require rooting. Can i do a one click root?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Lenny wrote: »
    hello, been trying to root my desire..
    I have installed the drivers for the hboot, and when I open the one lcikc & connect my device.. I gotg device "ace" is not supported at this time..
    any ideas?
    The HTC Ace is the HTC Desire HD, this thread is for the HTC Bravo aka the HTC Desire.
    griffdaddy wrote: »
    I'm wondering exactly the same thing. would like to keep everything the way it is except install a few apps that require rooting. Can i do a one click root?
    Yes you can, all you need to do is install HTC Sync and then uninstall the HTC Sync program whilst leaving the HTC Driver installer program. I.e. 'HTC Sync.exe' installs both HTC Sync and HTC Driver installer. You need to uninstall HTC Sync but leave HTC Driver installer. The rooting process will leave your ROM untouched and will allow you root access. However apps like MetaMorph need S-OFF which is a whole other kettle of fish and if you want APPS2SD+ you'll need a custom ROM.

• Advertisement

Hi Party
    At the moment I have htc sync installed so if I uninstall that and leave htc driver installer does that mean there is no need to install the hboot drivers and go through that process shown here:http://unrevoked.com/rootwiki/doku.php/public/windows_hboot_driver_install or do i need to do that regardless?Windows 7 pc im using.
    I also have htc bmp usb driver that installed with htc sync do i need to uninstall this too or leave it?
    Thanks
    Gav

The HTC Ace is the HTC Desire HD, this thread is for the HTC Bravo aka the HTC Desire.
    well that clears that up so, I thought the program was kind of a one does all?
    is there a one click for the desire hd?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Yes you can, all you need to do is install HTC Sync and then uninstall the HTC Sync program whilst leaving the HTC Driver installer program. I.e. 'HTC Sync.exe' installs both HTC Sync and HTC Driver installer. You need to uninstall HTC Sync but leave HTC Driver installer. The rooting process will leave your ROM untouched and will allow you root access. However apps like MetaMorph need S-OFF which is a whole other kettle of fish and if you want APPS2SD+ you'll need a custom ROM.

I found this method of moving apps to the sd card and it seems to work pretty well. It doesn't require a root either. Which apps are generally ok to move from the phone to the sd card without causing disruption? I know anything with widgets is gonna go a bit mad but surely i can move some of the htc stuff i dont use like stocks? Thanks

Hi All I tried to root my Desire tonight and seemed to be going good until I got this message at the end Failed to get root. Is your firmware too new?:confused: Has anyone seen this error before and know how to fix it or has the vulnerability been patched on newer phones?I installed the hboot for windows fine etc and had usb debugging on and was in charge only mode....
    Thanks
    Gavin

Hi can anyone help me with the error im getting trying to root????
    Thanks
    Gavman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Lenny wrote: »
    well that clears that up so, I thought the program was kind of a one does all?
    is there a one click for the desire hd?
    Not that i'm aware of unfortunately. Rooting the Desire HD at present requires you to do some work over ADB. Nothing too difficult but not for everybody.
    griffdaddy wrote: »
    I found this method of moving apps to the sd card and it seems to work pretty well. It doesn't require a root either. Which apps are generally ok to move from the phone to the sd card without causing disruption? I know anything with widgets is gonna go a bit mad but surely i can move some of the htc stuff i dont use like stocks? Thanks
    Technically speaking there's no reason why it couldn't be done but it all depends on whether or not HTC have coded the apps in question to support APPS2SD. Personally, i'd root the phone and just remove the useless apps outright.
    Gavman84 wrote: »
    Hi All I tried to root my Desire tonight and seemed to be going good until I got this message at the end Failed to get root. Is your firmware too new?:confused: Has anyone seen this error before and know how to fix it or has the vulnerability been patched on newer phones?I installed the hboot for windows fine etc and had usb debugging on and was in charge only mode....
    Thanks
    Gavin
    Try doing a factory reset on the phone before rooting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

A few questions:

So I've done the 1 click root and gotten as far as performing a nandroid backup (which seems to have worked). If I go ahead and flash a rom (thinking of getting one of the senseless gingerbread ones) will I be able to get all my old contacts from the data which I backed up, is that how it works? Or is the backup more of a system restore point?

I have the super-user permission icon in my apps (which I take to mean the root has worked), but I am still unable to delete the pointless apps which came with the phone (stocks, google latitude etc.). I thought rooting gave you the ability to remove these, or is it case that I need to flash a rom which will not contain these apps?

Finally, I've seen speak of partitioning the SD card, should I do this? I assume you put all the roms and backups into one side and have all your working 'day-to-day' storage (apps / multimedia, anything else?) in the other partition. I presume this can be done in windows but the SD card will be wiped in the process, does that sound right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

A few questions:

So I've done the 1 click root and gotten as far as performing a nandroid backup (which seems to have worked). If I go ahead and flash a rom (thinking of getting one of the senseless gingerbread ones) will I be able to get all my old contacts from the data which I backed up, is that how it works? Or is the backup more of a system restore point?

Once you've rooted, Rom manager is a great app that (after it flashes clockworkmod recovery, a little module within it) easily backs up and restores roms from your SD card.
    No need for a PC.

And yeah when you backup with it, you can save everything.
    So basically you can switch back and forth between roms, to your heart's content.
    It also allows you download new roms (cyanogenmod etc).
    Brilliant liitle app that does all the hard work for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I used Visionary to root my DHD. pretty painless.

mkennedy wrote: »
    Once you've rooted, Rom manager is a great app that (after it flashes clockworkmod recovery, a little module within it) easily backs up and restores roms from your SD card.
    No need for a PC.

And yeah when you backup with it, you can save everything.
    So basically you can switch back and forth between roms, to your heart's content.
    It also allows you download new roms (cyanogenmod etc).
    Brilliant liitle app that does all the hard work for you.

Thanks, and can I use data I saved when I backed up (for example the stock rom) on a flashed rom? Would it simply be a matter of using astro to have a flick through the SD card to get all my contacts etc onto the new rom?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Why wouldn't you have your contacts synced with google? And if you don't, you should buy a nokia.

Dave147 wrote: »
    Why wouldn't you have your contacts synced with google? And if you don't, you should buy a nokia.

Ah, silly me, I'd forgotten I'd sorted that out!

...And now you've got me missing all my old Nokias!!! Everyone a hand-me-down and everyone of them bulletproof!

Rooted with gingerbread :cool:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement