Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Player you've seen play

• 15-07-2010 2:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭

Post world cup boredom thread and sorry if its been done:

Who was the best player you've ever seen play in the flesh
    For me it was either Alan Shearer or Roy Keane. Though I reckon in years to come I'll be saying Seamus Coleman ;)

Saw Shearer in a win over Leeds at Elland Road a few years back and Keano for the first time against Holland in 2001.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

Paddy McCourt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

Paul Scholes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Trying to avoid my owns teams players it has to be brazilian Ronaldo at Old Trafford. His performance that night was just stunning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Scimichael, RVN and Sheringham in his 20 odd goal season at United

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Do training sessions count? If so then Zidane, Ronaldo, Figo, Raul, Carlos, Casillas and Beckham would be up there.

If not then Maurizio Gaudino.

EDIT: Can't believe I forgot Weso and Tony Sheridan. For shame :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Hmmm, Thierry Henry or Dennis Bergkamp.

Non Arsenal would probably be Michael Essien.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Messi, Henry, Eto'o, Xavi, Iniesta, Rivaldo, Luis Enrique, Figo, Guardiola, McManaman, Barnes, Gerrard, Fowler, Alonso, Mascherano, Torres etc...

But best ?....hard to look past Messi

I should also add, Stoichkov, Romario, Michael Laudrup... so long ago I'd forgotten :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

I've seen Bergkamp and Messi live as well as Ronaldinho in his hay day with Barca so I'd have to go with those three that stand out.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

In Ireland some time back:Andy McEvoy. Class act!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Didier Drogba.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭thekid9

Torres. Went to 2 games in which he scored 5 goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,393 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Ronaldo(While at Madrid), Van Der Vaart(While at Hamburg) and Ruud(While at United & Hamburg). My top 3 anyway.

Oh, and Joseph N'do....;)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Brian Murphy, unreal 'keeper

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Denis Irwin vs Turkey Euro 2000 playoff. Pure class and coolness under pressure.

John O'Flynn(Cork City FC) 2002-2004 : For 2 seasons until he did his cruciate in Belfield he was amazing. Such a shame.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Andy Reid (i only attend Championship and Ireland games).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Peter Schmeichel. Absolutely fantastic goalkeeper player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Ronaldo Luís Nazário de Lima, class act.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Maradona.

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

I've seen Fat Ronaldo & Ronaldinho live.

If not live, Henry is who I think is the greatest* in my lifetime , but I'm biased.

*Bar Messi, but I'll not be boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭cm2000

Ronaldinho in 2006 without a doubt. Incredible

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Ah feck, that's hard.

I'll go top 10.

Kaka
    Maldini
    Shevchenko
    Zidane
    Roanldinho
    Ronaldo (real, not greasy)
    Buffon
    Nesta
    Giggs
    Nedved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Zola.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Paolo Di Canio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Ronaldo, this one

ronaldo.thumbnail.jpg

Also Scholes and Giggs. Vidic is the best defender.

Worst was Rory Delap at Old Trafford two season ago during a 5-0 win, couldn't kick a ball.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

My uncle, had trials with Spurs when he was younger but they said he was too small, would have come on line about the same time as scholes (and looks exactly like him, small/red hair). Was a real shame, he played a bit for teams back here but got pi$$ed off with it and pretty much stopped playing after an injury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Saw Zidane play at the Bernebeu in his last season there.

Also Brazilian Ronaldo at Landsdowne a few years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭Anthony Walsh

John O'Shea

/end thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Ronaldinho Gaucho in '07. Scoring an overhead kick against Villareal at the Camp Nou.

The white hankeys were flying around me after that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

ive seen pretty much every top player in the world live over the last few years, except Kaka, i missed the Milan semi in 2007. but united have played everybody at some stage so theres very few players that havent been to old trafford.

Best player ive seen Regulary would be Paddy Evra, the man is incredible to watch week in, week out. it really is a joy to watch him live. every week i just get more and mroe impressed at how class he is.

Messi was not great when he came to old trafford, but then was class i suppose im Rome.

Best performance that impressed me in recent times from an opposition player was Edin Dzeko for Wolfsburg last season, he was sublime in that game i thought, led the line really well and tormented the united back 4 all night.

EDIT: worst player was some lad playing at left full for Popmy last season. i remember sitting there looking at him thinking how the hell are you a premiership football. he was simply horrific to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Liverpool: Fernando Torres.

Everyone else: Michael Essien.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Paul Scholes.

Went to a game where United beat Fulham 3-0 at Old Trafford with Rooney, Ronaldo et al. Everything went through Scholes, he pissed all over everyone else on the pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Manutd: Patrice Evra, Roy Keane, Paul Scholes, Ronaldo.

Portugal. Luis Figo.

Real Madrid: Ronaldo ( Brazilian ) @ Old Trafford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭rednik

Keeper : Schmeichel
    Defender : McGrath
    Midfield : Iniesta
    Striker : Van Basten

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Until i saw Messi in the Nou Camp 2years ago it was Ruud Gullit.
    Although he was old playing for Chelsea i've never seen anyone control a ball so effortlessly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Was lucky to see Zidane play 4 times, away to Majorca 04, at home to Deportivo and Valencia 05 and Lansdowne Road.

Ronaldihno and Ronaldo (fat) get mentions also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Dalglish.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I remember Christian Vieri being absolutely brilliant against Ireland at Lansdowne Rd a few years back. Other than that, seeing the Invincibles in their pomp with Henry, Pires and Cole raiding down the left was great to see in the flesh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

(Brazilian) Ronaldo
    Alessandro Del Piero
    Pavel Nedved
    Paddy McCourt :P
    Ronaldinho
    Roberto Carlos

And the winner, of course, Kevin Kilbane.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭deise48

Vanbis wrote: »
    Manutd: Patrice Evra, Roy Keane, Paul Scholes, Ronaldo.

Portugal. Luis Figo.

Real Madrid: Ronaldo ( Brazilian ) @ Old Trafford.
    i agree with ronaldo i was at the game at old trafford where he scored the hat trick never will see anything like it again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

Atlas_IRL wrote: »
    Paul Scholes.

Went to a game where United beat Fulham 3-0 at Old Trafford with Rooney, Ronaldo et al. Everything went through Scholes, he pissed all over everyone else on the pitch.

was at same game, masterclass in controlling a game. Def best individual performance I have ecer seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Wes Hoolahan and Darren Huckerby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

Brian Murphy, unreal 'keeper

He should be Irelands no.2, no.1 when Given retires. Best goalkeeper I have ever seen play in the League of Ireland, and he is still playing below his standard in the Championship.

Best player I have ever seen play is Zinedine Zidane, and Pat Fenlon made him look average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Yeah seen Zizou,Torres,Anelka,Drogba,Roberto Carlos but completely biased answer is Georgi Kinkladze(I think I've said this in another thread,deja vu) but the little man was mesmerising to watch,the ball just stuck to him.

As a defender my whole life I tend to watch defenders play,movement off the ball and all but Richard Dunne is an absolute top quality player to watch.Not the fastest and gives the quicker strikers a yard or two,the slower ones half a yard,the man rarely puts a defensive foot wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭gleep

Seen a lot of Celtic in the champions league against very decent sides and players, have to say Henrik Larsson was honestly the class act in all games he played.

Also the little man, Lubo Moravcik vs Juventus in the 4-3 game at Celtic Park. He absolutley bossed the game, nut-megged Nedved for fun all night, very very underrated player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Best player I ever saw: Iker Casillas.

Best player I ever saw come on as a sub: Raul ;)

I went to Salou in May last year and found out Barca had their finale against Villarreal. Saw Messi playing, but IMO Casillas is, taking in the past 10 years, better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Jimmy Aggrey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Roy Keane, Zidane and Ronaldo at OT when he scored the hat-trick in the CL 1/4 final and got a standing ovation from everyone in the ground.

Someone earlier mentioned Paddy McCourt. I remember him playing for Sligo Rovers (may have been a diff team) against Shels a good few years ago and could not believe what I was watching. Myself and the auld lad thought he would be snapped up by a top 4 team very soon after that!

Edit: It was Derry City, not Sligo McCourt was playing for that day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Graham Barrett

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Paul McGrath at the height of his career. I've never seen positional awareness or reading of the game like it. He made it look as if there was nothing to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,567 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Was very young at the time but I saw Maradonna play in Dublin for an Argentina v Ireland friendly. Think it was 1979 but could have been 1980. Didn't realise then how good he was to become. Was very young at time but it's great to say that I saw him play in the flesh.

As for modern day, I saw Gary Breen play for Ireland a few times, surely no one can beat that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement