Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilroys college repeat leaving cert

• 15-07-2010 2:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭

Hi folks I was wondering if anyone on here has done the repeat online leaving cert with kilroys college?
    Im posting this for my gf as she is interested in repeating the leaving cert after a year out but she is worried about the practical side of the subjects.
    She basically wants to know that if she does repeat with kilroys and picks Biology as one of her subjects how does she prove that she done the labs and experiments.
    She rang kilroys and all the woman said was " well none of the people ever doing the course were ever asked to show proof, so if you just study the theory of the experiments you should be ok"

Now she is just worried that she souldnt do the whole repeat thing as if some one does ask her for proof she will have wasted a year!

So if anyone can give me any information on kilroys college in regards to how good it is and the whole projects for history and the labs in biology thing it would be greatly appreicated!!
    Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

http://www.ioe.ie/parttime/science-practicals.html <<<< biology practicals €400

Also some of the colleges do free experiment days around the end of the year or january. But they may only do 6 experiments. Places book out pretty quick. NUI Maynooth do them anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭leg

I dont think anyone is going to ask for proof. Nobody can really prove you didnt do them so if asked for proof just write up some of the experiments directly from the book. But at the end of the day the chances are she wont be asked. Dont let that minor detail put you off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Rosie_McRose

From what I've heard, Kilroys college aren't very good. It's expensive for what it is. They give you revision notes, and exercises which they mark up.
    However you can buy books of revision notes in Easons, plus past exam papers are free on-line plus marking systems. So you can test and mark yourself.
    Considering Kilroys don't do the practicals I wouldn't be enthusiastic about them. I did consider them myself but read a few scathing reviews.
    Try your local VEC's for part-time leaving cert courses.
    I found crumlin college and pearse college very helpful.
    I sat Biology last year and didn't do any experiments - but studied them and knew them all. I intend to sit 6 subject next year. Nobody will ask you to prove that you've done the experiments but it would be easier to understnad having done them. You can buy a dvd of them - I saw it on ebay! Or IOE do a day course in January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭carefulnow100

Thanks for all replies so far they helped in regards to what she might do. At the mo she is just seriously confused she wants to do nursing but dosent have the points and when she applied to the Waterford further education place for nursing intro course she was told she had only made the shortlist and that she woudnt recive a place unless someone dropped out, she is still hopeful but we dont know how far down the shortlist she is. Now she is thinking of taking a year out and just applying through the cao next year for a course within her points range.

Anyone got any ideas or any experience in taking a year out? Did you go back to college or did u find a job and just stick with it? And if you were in this situation would you repeat the leaving, or just take a year out?

Thanks in advance!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23 QueenieB

When an "educator" tells you that doing practicals is not important, there is something suspect about their course. Run away, run away!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I think his gf might have made her decision by now! ... check dates of posts ... :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement