Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best breakfast in town?

Options
  • 15-07-2010 9:08am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭

Right lads and lassies...

Where in town does the nommiest breakfasts?

In the mood for something warm and nommy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭TobyZiegler

Jalapenos does a great breakfast, highly recommend it!

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

Finnegans / O'Riordans / GBC

The Celler do a good breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

mr waffle used to be my brekkie of choice in town, but they're no longer on middle street - unconfirmed reports of them going somewhere near NUIG but I'm never that side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

The Drum does/did a nice one (do they still exist? Haven't been on that side of town in yonks...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

All good places I'm sure but i think Galway could do with a really good Greasy Spoon or am i mistaken and there's already one? I'm open to correction here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

Friends in the town park centre, tuam rd, ya cant beat it

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I always get a Mother Hubbards whenever I have to go over to Dublin.
    Otherwise Nimmos or Kelly's for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

3fullback wrote: »
    Finnegans / O'Riordans / GBC

Finnegans and O'Riordans (same owners) are my personal worst for food in town. Unless you like food that actually tastes of microwave! Tasteless sausages, dry bacon, hard fried eggs. And their packets of ketchup have a really weird taste.

In fact, those two places are totally over-rated on threads here regularly. Even their dinners are just microwaves muck. [/rant]

GBC is ok if you get in before 10.45am.

My faves are Friends on the Tuam Road, absolutely delicious and the Royal Rock in Ballybane (a real workman's and factory worker's brekkie).

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

I would have to second Jalapenos. Had some right tasty brekkies in there and they have some options too if you don't want the full fry up. The Cellar used to do a good one as well but it's been a while since I tried it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 mrpig

The correct answer is the Huntsman.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

mrpig wrote: »
    The correct answer is the Huntsman.

OP asked about the best brekkie in town!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

Anyone ever remeber that place on dominic street(were the tappas resturant is now) that did the all day breakfast. Fantastic place, been gone a good few years now tho, cant remember the name of it now tho.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Columc wrote: »
    Anyone ever remeber that place on dominic street(were the tappas resturant is now) that did the all day breakfast. Fantastic place, been gone a good few years now tho, cant remember the name of it now tho.
    Are you thinking of the Left Bank? That's was where Mocha Beans is now on Dominic St. They did a great breakfast.

Well, if you're talking Dominick Street back in the day, Spud Murphys would be the outright winner (where Apache is now).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭steel_spine

Xiney wrote: »
    mr waffle used to be my brekkie of choice in town, but they're no longer on middle street - unconfirmed reports of them going somewhere near NUIG but I'm never that side.

Mr Waffle never reappeared anywhere.... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Or when Monroes was where the Róisín was (I get very confused about that old location) - the weekend brekkie/brunch, with papers, music and half of Galway. Aww.

Nimmos/Ard Bia is a fave, if a teeny spendy. Riordans has gone downhill imo. Jalepenos has upped the price from when it was the Tex Mex breakfast (same owners).

Kelly's wasn't bad last time I went tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

Robbo wrote: »
    Are you thinking of the Left Bank? That's was where Mocha Beans is now on Dominic St. They did a great breakfast.

Ah mocha beans ya that was it.

Galway Plate on the Tuam rd, Sunday mornings, dying with a sore head, jumbo breakfast with the fried spuds n all, ahh what a way to make you feel human again

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Placebo Effect

inisboffin wrote: »
    Or when Monroes was where the Róisín was (I get very confused about that old location) - the weekend brekkie/brunch, with papers, music and half of Galway. Aww.

Nimmos/Ard Bia is a fave, if a teeny spendy. Riordans has gone downhill imo. Jalepenos has upped the price from when it was the Tex Mex breakfast (same owners).

Kelly's wasn't bad last time I went tho.

Monroes has always been on the corner where it now stands

• Advertisement

Monroes has always been on the corner where it now stands

Sorry, meant ownership, not the building itself.

inisboffin wrote: »
    Sorry, meant ownership, not the building itself.

wha? Dominic Lydon owns the roisin (its leased out), the monroes own monroes (ditto).

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Pool4Life

The Trappers Inn on the Tuam Rd have a great breakfast

soundbyte wrote: »
    wha? Dominic Lydon owns the roisin (its leased out), the monroes own monroes (ditto).

*totally confused now*

Didn't whoever used to lease the Roisin then Lease Monroes for a while in late 80s and early 90s then? There was a big shift at one point I remember with the crowd. Or at least the same breakfast 'gig' hopped venues? Them was fuzzy days. I mean running the business as opposed to the physical building (as in the Finns/Kings *own* Nimmo's but Ard Bia leases it).

Tell me I didn't dream all this!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Trisha's on Lower Abbeygate St.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

JustMary wrote: »
    Trisha's on Lower Abbeygate St.

This is where we ended up.

Not bad for €6.50.

Two sussies, two rashers, black and white pudding, egg, beans and mushrooms, mug of tea and a basket of toast and brown bread.

only complaint is there were like a teaspoon sized portion of mushrooms, which is like my favorite of a fried brekkie :(

But for the price, ya couldn't bate it with a big schtick.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Xiney wrote: »

Mr. Waffle is sadly missed.

R.I.P. Mr. Waffle.

john mannion (front door, dail etc) would have had the roisin back then (he made it what it is). Didnt think he ever had monroes? You've confused me too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Hunstman FTW, Pudding is massive!!:D

• Advertisement

soundbyte wrote: »
    john mannion (front door, dail etc) would have had the roisin back then (he made it what it is). Didnt think he ever had monroes? You've confused me too!

Yeah, ok it was deffo when he had it I think, but have it in my head that he had Monroes for a bit too? Anyway, and either way, those breakfasts were gorgeous!

Advertisement