Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best breakfast in town?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Where is this place Friends? Never heard of it. Liosboan?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

biko wrote: »
    Where is this place Friends? Never heard of it. Liosboan?

Back towards the roundabout a bit. Next to the travellodge.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Home Plate !

Nice place, but they deep fry all their full irish stuff (like many places do) so I wouldn't waste my money on fried breakfast their.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Was up at Frends Restaurant (is Frends, not Friends) earlier. Delish breakfast, will prob go again tomorrow :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭terlywerly

Last time I was in Galway, I got a yummy breakfast in Buon Appetito. Can't remember the price exactly but it was massive and I remember thinking it was great value

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Actually I nearly wet myself this morning when I had the Crispy Bacon on Pancakes with Maple syrup in Revive Cafe on Cross Street today...finest breakfast i've had in Galway..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Back towards the roundabout a bit. Next to the travellodge.

Technically it's called the Town Parks retail centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Back in the day, Home Plate was terrific. They had a wonderful vegetarian brunch at weekends - must have been the first time in my life I ever asked for vegetarian anything.
    Disappointed to read that Pucan has gone downhill. Used to love the hearty fare in there too - and even had a slap-up full Irish just 2 years ago. Ah well...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭punk77

inisboffin wrote: »
    *totally confused now*

Didn't whoever used to lease the Roisin then Lease Monroes for a while in late 80s and early 90s then?

John Mannion never had Monroes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Was up at Frends Restaurant (is Frends, not Friends) earlier. Delish breakfast, will prob go again tomorrow :D
    Pay much?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

€7.50 for the full

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

punk77 wrote: »
    John Mannion never had Monroes.

Yes he did, and in the late 80/early 90s like Inisboffin said.

But Ephraim came in and did the brunches of a sunday.

There's a place on Upper Abbeygate St between the Four Corners and Central Park. I forget its name but its the only place with outside seating. Anyway, the food there is good quality and reasonable and they do a very decent fry-up.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Yes he did, and in the late 80/early 90s like Inisboffin said.

But Ephraim came in and did the brunches of a sunday.

Dont remember Mannion there. Know Ephraim but thought it was Smith that had it. Mannion's time there musta been brief.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

There's a place on Upper Abbeygate St between the Four Corners and Central Park. I forget its name but its the only place with outside seating. Anyway, the food there is good quality and reasonable and they do a very decent fry-up.

terlywerly pointed it out a few posts previous to you. The place is Buon Appetito. Cheap pizza too.

terlywerly pointed it out a few posts previous to you. The place is Buon Appetito. Cheap pizza too.

Sorry siltirocker,only know it by location and quality of food.Name means nothing to me.Anyway its superior to most places mentioned in this thread.Well worth checking out and yea the pizza is good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

The Cellar used to do a great fry, got ridiculously expensive though and I haven't been back in recent years to see if they've corrected that. That combined with the fact they served chips as "fried potatoes".
    Wompa1 wrote: »
    I tried Riordans a few times due to the people raving about it on here before. It's not very good in my opinion. I get the idea people like it because its trying to be old fashioned or something.

I think most of the rants here have been about their "light lunch special" menu, great value. Good filling lunch for €5.95 I think.

Wouldn't be too well regarded for their breakfasts or anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Sorry siltirocker,only know it by location and quality of food.Name means nothing to me.Anyway its superior to most places mentioned in this thread.Well worth checking out and yea the pizza is good.

Jesus i didn't want to sound condesending, just informative. Sorry if it sounded all 'matter of fact'ly. lol.

Jesus i didn't want to sound condesending, just informative. Sorry if it sounded all 'matter of fact'ly. lol.

Yo siltirocker,chill man. You were not being condescending and you were informative. My ignorance for not knowing the name of the place. I know it now. Thanks. Think you will agree that its worth a visit be it for all day breakfast,pizza,pasta or just a decent coffee and you can smoke as you people watch.:cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Bon Apitito is, mmm, okay.

Never had the breakie there but their salads are, well, crap.

That said, their arrabiata is pretty damned good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭citycentre

I can't believe the Kings Head hasn't been mentioned yet. For the same price as any other bog standard pub breakfast you get the finest of ingredients - locally sourced bacon, black pudding and sausages (and you can taste the difference), gorgeous mushrooms and lots of them and as much toast as you can eat. I haven't gone near anywhere else since I first had a Kings Head breakfast about 6 months ago...

I know that sounds like a bloody advert for the Kings Head but the breakfast really is that good...

Citycentre I'll give a lash the next time I'm in town looking for the cure for sure.

Sounds pretty good.

One thing that annoys me most about breakies in most places is they have mushies on the menu but when it comes out its like a fecking desert spoons worth of deep fried brown tasteless crap.

I loves me fried mushrooms so I does.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Seaneh wrote: »
    Bon Apitito is, mmm, okay.

Never had the breakie there but their salads are, well, crap.

That said, their arrabiata is pretty damned good.

Their steak cooking skills aren't all that, not unless you're a fan of rubber.

Mactard wrote: »
    Their steak cooking skills aren't all that, not unless you're a fan of rubber.

actually, sound advice this.

They also boil their chicken for use in salads/pasta dishes. the result being a sort of white tasteless mass of protein and not much else floating around in your meal. portion sizes are excellent for the price though.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭irishlady29

Monroes....hmmmm tasty....heart attack on a plate!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Come to think of it, my brother used to go there every day almost when he worked in Galway. Used to rave about it. He'd have the breakfast well earned by the time he'd go in there anyway so it wasn't as unhealthy as you'd think to eat it every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭MissMiami

Love to go to Scotty's for a fry the morning after a night out!

But that's prob cos I live in Dun na Coiribe!

The Cellar and Busker Brownes are really nice too!

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭SparKing

I've had Breakfast in nearly every place mentioned.
    There seems to be two camps: Quality and Quantity.
    In all cases I'm talking about a full Irish
    Quality
    Buskers: very good breakfast (Collerans meat) proper coffee with it for €9.50
    Ard Bia: nice breakfast, Mediterranean Sausages are nice, not a lot in it though and quite expensive for what you get (once had Brunch for 2 for €35 and the missus doesn't eat much)
    Mc Swiggans: Very nice breakfast girls are nice and usually offer a free coffee refill. About €9
    Quantity:
    There is very little to set these places apart from one another.
    Cheap meat deep-fried and ok service.
    Riordans, Finnegans, and the Cellar

Honourable Mentions:
    Supermacs: Surprisingly good and very cheap
    Lynch's Cafe: Great for Flexibility as you can just ask for exactly what you want without seeming fussy!

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Davyhal

Scotty's kept me alive when I was in college, I was living directly upstairs. Very expensive addiction though, Fry in the morning, Double cheese burger in the evening. Quality and Quantity, and the regular staff are always lovely (not to mention nice to look at too!). The only thing that goes against it is the price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

anything to be said for Lynch's?

Advertisement