Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

10,000m Track Race Tonight in Galway (Thursday 15th July)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

There's a rarity, good on Athenry AC. Wouldn't it be nice if a small % of the numbers running the Stephen's Day 10k took part?

Though I confess I'm one of the many that chooses not to spend 45 mins or so being lapped multiple times :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭Mick Rice

Roy,
    This is a Galway County Board gig - although there'll be a fair few athenry AC'er there as well. Please feel welcome to come along - the whole philosophy with the race is to encourage all standards to get involved. There'll be one or two runners under 35:00 tonight but also a good few closer to the 50:00 mins than 40:00. There is genuine and wholehearted support for beginners, improvers, all-sorts in these races. Would love to see you there.

Mick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

I think it's brilliant to see a 10k track race being promoted in this way and I hope you get great support. I guess there are a whole new dimensions mentally in racing 25 laps of a track and I hope a good few first-timers challenge themselves. (Regrettably though the Jersey-Galway flight schedule isn't great on a Thursday.)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 477 ✭✭brutes1

Yes, gonna give this a go ..funny enough my first 10k was on the track a couple of years back ... Worth a shot if you fancy it, its a flat course ;) , pb potential , and very good mental training for longer races ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I'm just curious, do the racers have to track their laps themselves (moving bands from one wrist to the other, etc) or is there any external signal of how far along they are?

• Advertisement

There'll be lap counters there to record people's progress...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Sounds like a good race, would love to do a 5 or 10k on the track some day never races furhter then 3k on the track. If there is another one let me know a few week before as I have to work from Galway for a day or 2 in the next couple of months.

Results here - Small turnout but a very worthwhile race.

Had a complete shocker myself - targeted sub-35:00 but couldn't manage sub 36:00 - no excuses, just didn't have it.

Drawing board, I'm on my way back!

Mick Rice wrote: »
    Results here - Small turnout but a very worthwhile race.

Had a complete shocker myself - targeted sub-35:00 but couldn't manage sub 36:00 - no excuses, just didn't have it.

Drawing board, I'm on my way back!

Likewise...:mad:

Results...

http://www.athenryac.com/galway-10000m-results

some good runs, and some bad ones!! ...

25 laps passed very quickly , must try it again sometime...maybe we could treat that as a heat mickrice??!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

if i lived closer i would have gone , very surprised at the low turn out, was lookin for page 2/sheet 2 on the results

• Advertisement

We were probably not expecting too many more to be honest, in view of the short notice, and the fact the idea of a 10k track race can put people off sometimes if they dont think they are in top shape/getting lapped etc , but the 25 laps actually flew by ..

It was a good night/event , I and think we would be tempted to run it again maybe in September , as a marker for a marathon, and to get a bloody pb next time!! watch this space...

Advertisement