Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foods to help tiredness?!

Options
  • 15-07-2010 9:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Hey all,

I know everyone gets this, but I'm just so exhausted lately. I go to bed early, wake up usual time but I'm still tired all day long.

Pre-pregnancy my solution for this was to take a Berocca Boost when I got into work... but I know I'm not supposed to take any other supplements on top of my Pregnacare.

So just wondering if anyone has any ideas of anything else I can try, any "superfoods" which will give me a bit of an energy boost in work and stop my eyes closing every 10 minutes!!

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Yeah I'm the same, I keep waking up every morning feeling like I've just come back from Oxegen or something lol.. (I wish ;))

I find bananas help as a little booster during the day.. also a cup of tea around midday usually keeps me upright in my seat lol.. I would be interested to see if anyone has any better solutions :o

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Mick990

Hey Ladies my girlfriend is pregnant and has the same problem but she finds that Kiwis are the best i guess its the fruit is the best soloution

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Lot s and lots and lots of fruit and veg. Ideally there should be some veg with every meal. Snacking on fruit may help too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Are you taking an iron supplement? This is allowed.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

bottles of Lucozade:) I am oh so healthy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I have always hated lucozade with a passion, but I remember my pregnant cousin going through liters of it daily, so a few weeks ago I had a bottle and it really did work, not like red bull but I felt normal for about 3 hours.

With all the glucose in it I decided to try more fruit, bananas do help but I'm still following the sleep patterns of a 7 year old!

It really does feel like some one takes me out of bed every night at 2am locks me in a club where I dance all night, dumps me back in bed at 5:30 and at 6am I wake feeling hungover and wrecked.

Talk to your doc but IMHO it sounds like you really need an iron tonic. Floradix is a gentle effective iron tonic that's safe in pregancy. I've used it many times and it always picks you up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

My misses is going through the same problem after lunch she's wreaked. Must mention the lucozade and she eats plenty of fruit. Have to say its knocking her for six. She has a doc appointment next week so she's going to mention it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 HerbertGirl

Thanks for all the answers, have done the lucozade thing and it does work, but then i just get the same problem about 3 hours later and I'm back to square one.

Have increased my Vitamin C intake (mandarin's, orange juice and kiwi's mainly) and this seems to be helping a hell of alot.

Have also been having more fish which makes me alot less sluggish than the usual lasagna with loads of cheese :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

For me, snacking on fruit, crackers and yoghurts help alot. If I don't graze my blood sugar drops and I feel faint. I'm usually exhausted by 4pm although I've noticed it comes in waves so I could be fine an hour later. It actually reminds me of jet lag. Early nights are essential otherwise I feel terrible the next day.

Personally I'd advise steering clear of sugary drinks and snacks as hard as it may be because they'll play havoc with your blood sugar and make you feel worse once the sugar high dips.

• Advertisement

I'd worry about pregnancy diabetes or a giant baby if I was swilling lucozade. Talk to your gp.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭LashingLady

I'd worry about gestational diabetes with all that lucozade too.

I remember being tired in the first trimester and starving in the second. Teh tiredness is just par for the course to be honest and will subside after about 10 weeks. Try eating slow release carbs like wholemeal bread and protein snacks like nuts or cheese to give you some more energy.

I heard before that energy drinks and caffeine are basically borrowing energy from the future so you could end up being more tired in the long run if you are using them to pep you up.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭littlemissfixit

I am 26 weeks now and after a good 3 months of being so energetic, the tiredness is creeping back in now.
    The high glucose will definately work, but unfortunately is likely to make you worst after as your blood sugar will crash rapidely. This is the same for simple carbs like white breads, pastas, etc.
    Wholegrain works magic for me, wholegrain cereal or bread in the mornings, wholegrain pasta, etc. I also cut up a whole pile of fruits in a huge fruit salad that I always have in the fridge to pick at between meals, I also sometimes mix it in with yogurt it's yummy.
    Drink a lot of water too, dehydration can make you very tired.
    For a treat, I have this lovely recipe for carrots and nuts muffins delicious!!!
    And as strange as it may sound, when I get my end of day low, going for a walk or doing other exercises actually gives me lots of energy (have a very good yoga dvd for pregnancy that I can do at home).
    Just try different things and I hope you'll find something thats works for you!!! Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

The tiredness is a killer. It drove me mad as I'm used of being very energetic (some would go so far as to describe me as hyper...;)).

The only thing that worked for me was a 30 min nap after work. I hated doing it, but it did the trick. Then, when the doc put me on iron tabs, I felt near enough to my normal self again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

I have found in the past week or two that if I can sneak in a nap on my lunch break or even just close my eyes for 20 minutes it helps me through the rest of the day.
    I'm off fruit at the moment and anything sweet, but love my veggies :-)

Advertisement