Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Etape Hibernia - free goodies!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

What about the people who have already signed up? Are we to be at a disadvantage because we signed up early?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭LadFromLimerick

While we're on the subject of the Etape Hibernia, I still haven't received any communication from the organisers, not even an acknowledgment email when I registered several months ago. Am I alone in this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Forget the gimics and make things a little easier on participants.

The lack of a morning sign on is quiet frankly a disgrace.
    I will be in Limerick the night before the event yet I am forced ro head to Ennis to sign on the night before and head again on the morning of the event.
    No other event that I am aware of in Ireland compels an evening before sign on.

You could open sign on for 2hr in the morning but close it say 45mins before the first riders depart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

While we're on the subject of the Etape Hibernia, I still haven't received any communication from the organisers, not even an acknowledgment email when I registered several months ago. Am I alone in this?

I got a confirmation email and a receipt from ING for payment, but that was 2 months ago, and I've had nothing since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

I haven't received anything myself and I 've registered a couple of months ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Etape Hibernia

Thanks to all. We will attempt to answer your queries asap.

Rok on - it's not meant to be a gimic, really. We are just working to make the event as good as it can be, and that includes answering some of your queries on the event itself. The ZipVit product is courtesy of our nutritional sponsor, and there will be lots more to giveaway on the day!

ROK ON wrote: »
    Forget the gimics and make things a little easier on participants.

The lack of a morning sign on is quiet frankly a disgrace.
    I will be in Limerick the night before the event yet I am forced ro head to Ennis to sign on the night before and head again on the morning of the event.
    No other event that I am aware of in Ireland compels an evening before sign on.

You could open sign on for 2hr in the morning but close it say 45mins before the first riders depart.

+1. Surely a morning sign-in is possible?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I got a confirmation email and a receipt from ING for payment, but that was 2 months ago, and I've had nothing since.

Same here, two emails a few minutes after signing up. The first a brief transaction recept, the second a more detailed confirmation PDF containing a receipt number, and user name and password for their web site. I'd defo drop them an email or call them looking for your receipt, seems odd you didn't get this. The content with my details removed was as follows;
    Shane

Sky Ride Etape Hibernia 2010 Entry Confirmation This email
    should be considered as full confirmation of your entry. You should keep a
    copy of this email should you have any queries about your entry. Your
    Details: - Should your address or personal details change, please
    contact us immediately on info@etapehibernia.com - In order to complete
    this entry process you have confirmed that you agree to our terms and
    conditions. If you have queries about our race withdrawal policy details
    can be found at www.etapehibernia.com What to expect from us: - We
    are looking forward to what we know will a fantastic new event. In the
    build up to the event you should expect to receive monthly emails to keep
    you updated with the latest news and competitions. - You will receive a
    race pack before the event day. This will contain your race numbers and an
    information booklet which will contain all the information you require for
    the race day, you may be sent the information booklet in digital form two
    weeks before the event. Equipment: - Our official online retailer
    is Chain Reaction Cycles, for up to date offers and the best cycling
    equipment go to http://www.chainreactioncycles.com Race Registration:
    - Registration for the race will take place on Friday 20th and Saturday
    21st August 2010. You will be required to register and collect your timing
    chip for the race. Withdrawal - Please double check the TandC's
    that you agreed to during the entry process - you can do so at
    www.etapehibernia.com/TandCs. - If you wish to withdraw then please log
    in email us at info@etapehibernia.com. Withdrawal enquiries will not be
    dealt with over the phone! Marshals - If you have any friends,
    family, coaches and other club members who would be interested in helping
    out at the event as a Marshal to have the opportunity to play a hands-on
    role in the organisation of this event then please contact the office by
    e-mail info@etapehibernia.com All that remains for all of us here is to
    wish you the very best with your training. Should we be able to help or
    assist you with anything else then please do not hesitate in contacting
    us. Good Luck! The Sky Ride Etape Hibernia IMG McCormack House One
    Burlington Lane London W4 2TH www.challengerworld.com

Below is an
    itemised receipt for your recent online credit card payment.

Date:
    07-Jul-2010
    Reference: xxxxxx
    Entry Type: Skyride Etape Hibernia -
    Challenge Course
    Entry Fee: €54.00

Title - Units - Price - Total
    Event
    T-Shirt (L) inc. P&P -1 -€19.99 -€19.99

Merchandise: €19.99

Total
    Charge: €73.99

Transaction Status: Approved
    Receipt Number: xxxxxxxxxxxx
    Authorisation Code: xxxxxx

Contained below are your online
    membership username and password.

Username: xxxxxxxx
    Password: xxxxxxxx
    Your username and password can be amended within the secure members area
    of the website.

Ok, so I'm a sucker for new t-shirts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭cantalach

I'm not at all sold on this Etape Hibernia thing. €54 is an awful lot of money for 132km of cycling with just 765m elevation gain. In contrast, check out the Iveragh 200 which is on this coming Saturday. €35 gets you 200km of cycling with (at a guess) three times as much elevation gain. The only real plus with the Etape Hibernia is closed roads. But lets be honest about it, other traffic doesn't cause much hassle in Irish sportives anyway. Timing chip, schmiming chip - just use your bike computer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭damo80

cantalach wrote: »
    I'm not at all sold on this Etape Hibernia thing. €54 is an awful lot of money for 132km of cycling with just 765m elevation gain. In contrast, check out the Iveragh 200 which is on this coming Saturday. €35 gets you 200km of cycling with (at a guess) three times as much elevation gain. The only real plus with the Etape Hibernia is closed roads. But lets be honest about it, other traffic doesn't cause much hassle in Irish sportives anyway. Timing chip, schmiming chip - just use your bike computer.

+1 the tour de Burren was held on pretty much closed roads over the "same" route. and you got a tshirt.......and a cone :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

erm, any sportif i've been on traffic has been annoying, mostly due to other riders acting silly and pissing off the drivers. Closed roads would be good for a bit of a proper belt around the place and not have to be stuck wondering is there enough room to overtake on the left of someone wobbling around the middle of the lane. Least with both sides of the road there is more space to do that.

Granted i cared a hell of alot more before i took up racing where marshalls/closed roads/rolling closures make it somewhat of a much of a muchness.

Just got the following email;
    If you are having trouble reading this email please click on the following link: http://challengerworld.com/etape-hibernia/etape-event-info-issue.aspx

Followed the link and read the bumf. Nothing too exciting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

I am thinking of entering this event.

I have done a few 100km sportives and not worried about the physical challenge (although I know about headwinds in that area after a 100k Limerick to Doonbeg ride 2 weeks ago) but will I be laughed at for doing it on a 2009 model aluminum frame Beone with a Tiagra double? (I have a Focus Team Replica carbon on order but it will be at home).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

ashleey wrote: »
    I am thinking of entering this event.

I have done a few 100km sportives and not worried about the physical challenge (although I know about headwinds in that area after a 100k Limerick to Doonbeg ride 2 weeks ago) but will I be laughed at for doing it on a 2009 model aluminum frame Beone with a Tiagra double? (I have a Focus Team Replica carbon on order but it will be at home).

Do cyclists who does these sportives really come off as that snobbish? :pac:

Nothing wrong with the BeOne bikes and certainly nothing wrong with Tiagra.

penexpers wrote: »
    Do cyclists who does these sportives really come off as that snobbish? :pac:

Nothing wrong with the BeOne bikes and certainly nothing wrong with Tiagra.

Not really, I just didn't want to find myself amidst the HTC Columbia Team and feel all inferior (or get 'moved' out of the way)

Anyone heading from Kilkenny to this? (I'm based there but will be sneaking a weekend out of our family break in Donegal to drive down)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭cantalach

but will I be laughed at for doing it on a 2009 model aluminum frame Beone with a Tiagra double?

No! One of the strongest guys in our group rides a 5-6 year old alloy frame with Tiagra. It's the engine that counts - not the bike!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

Not really, I just didn't want to find myself amidst the HTC Columbia Team and feel all inferior (or get 'moved' out of the way)

I can honestly assure you that you wont be headbutted by any Boardsie;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

jimm wrote: »
    I can honestly assure you that you wont be headbutted by any Boardsie;)

This is true, I won't be there....

Phew. That's a relief. Now I've just to convince my brother in law to come down from Donegal too. Should be great. I just wish the route was clockwise and with the wind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

I just wish the route was clockwise and with the wind

I agree.

When I signed up for this a couple of months ago I didn't look at the route in detail, just saw the map and figured it would naturally be clockwise. Only realised in the last couple of days that it's not. Bummer.

Let's hope it's not too windy that day!

• Advertisement

Did the bdo get back challenge from Limerick to doonbeg 2 weeks ago and some were actually crying with the wind from lahinch. I'm planning to focus on the scenery and cry later when no one is looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭WakeyTyke

9 times out 10 the wind is a westerly in the area so the final 30km should be with a tailwind

You can't beat local knowledge. But it's the previous 30k that will separate the madmen from the also rans. Let's just hope it isn't raining.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

damo80 wrote: »
    +1 the tour de Burren was held on pretty much closed roads over the "same" route. and you got a tshirt.......and a cone :)

And you didn't have to get up for the cone, the volunteers came around handing to ya!!

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭WakeyTyke

Did the full etape route earlier this year with an unusual south-east wind and the last 30km, particularly the climb up Slieve Callan, was particularly gruelling, so I will be hoping for a westerly on the day (or ideally a calm day:D).

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

Anyone heading from Kilkenny to this?

I'll be on a stag party in west Clare that weekend if that's any use, heading home on the Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Etape Hibernia

Good morning...

As event organisers the Etape Hibernia team are here to help. We are listening to all suggestions and trying to make the event the very best it can be in 2010. The team are traveling to Clare today for a 3-day recce of the route and logistics - we really care about the quality of the event, and making it as enjoyable as possible for all riders.

We understand that we cannot please all entrants in terms of sign on, and we apologise for this - but feel that with a 7am start on the Sunday, and riders assembling at 6 onwards, it is not logistically possible for us to also have sign-ons that morning. Therefore all sign ons will be on the Saturday. (21st August)

With regard to event info we are happy to field any queries regarding the event, in any area, via info@etapehibernia.com. The event document is also available as a download at the Etape Hibernia site http://www.etapehibernia.com/

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

Did the bdo get back challenge from Limerick to doonbeg 2 weeks ago and some were actually crying with the wind from lahinch. I'm planning to focus on the scenery and cry later when no one is looking.

Was it that bad?? Have done it couple of times but was away this year so missed it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

@EtapeHibernia.

Re sign on. If a person cannot for whatever reason make the Sat sign on, can they provide details/id etc to a friend that is signing on on the Saturday?
    Or is it the case that the entry fee is simply wasted in that event?

TBH if I was aware of Sat evening enforced sign on when I paid up, I wouldn't as there is no way I would make it.

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Ouch, that could be me in August, must remember to bring some hankies ;)

Out of interest, how would the wind compare to a blowy day on the sally gap road? Was up that way yesterday, and was thinking what 135k in a gale would be like. I'm assuming desperately hoping that there will be a reasonable mix sheltered and exposed spots, or it could be a very long day.

I notice that a bike inspection is part of the sign on process. Which is a great idea, I think,

I notice that a bike inspection is part of the sign on process. Which is a great idea, I think,

Woah, so you have to bring your bike along to the registration as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

It is, you don't want to be hiding a motor in your frame :)

@EtapeHibernia,

I'd also draw your attention to second half of this post #125

Where did you see/read/hear this penexpers?

The information booklet, on page 9, regarding registration, states that a bike inspection will not be part of the registration process.

• Advertisement

Moflojo wrote: »
    Where did you see/read/hear this penexpers?

The information booklet, on page 9, regarding registration, states that a bike inspection will not be part of the registration process.

Whoops good spot. Must have missed a word there :)

Whoops good spot. Must have missed a word there :)

No worries. You could have caused all sorts of panic, as well as a mutinous assault on the poor sod that is posting on behalf of the Etape!

smacl wrote: »
    Ouch, that could be me in August, must remember to bring some hankies ;)

Out of interest, how would the wind compare to a blowy day on the sally gap road? Was up that way yesterday, and was thinking what 135k in a gale would be like. I'm assuming desperately hoping that there will be a reasonable mix sheltered and exposed spots, or it could be a very long day.

It won't be too bad. The problem is that after some hills the road to miltown malbay is very straight so you can see 5 miles ahead. I was on my own which is a nightmare. I aim to at least be in a pair or bigger group and get 'organised'. After that the road to ennis is very wide so there isn't any cover. By this time everyone is tired so save some strength and some bars of energy. It should be a great event

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

average windspeed for Lahinch for the month of July is 14 knots, with average gust speed of 16 knots, direction - wsw

So hopefully wind wont be too bad.

So in other words roughly 25 to 30 km/h headwind after lahinch until miltown malbay and then it could well be a tailwind home to ennis. Pity that iPods are banned as they take your mind off a bad wind

• Advertisement
Advertisement