Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Question thread for people thinking of going to DKIT

Options
  • 15-07-2010 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭

Just setting up this thread so people who are thinking about or have applied to join DKIT in September can ask general questions about the college, its facilities, it's courses, its student union and its entertainment.

Basically a thread for anyone that wants to talk to people already at DKIT and get an insight into life at the college.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Would just like to get some opinions on the computing degrees at DKIT.
    Any feedback on these would be great.

Have applied for these courses, both Level 8 and Level 7 on my CAO.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

flyswatter wrote: »
    Would just like to get some opinions on the computing degrees at DKIT.
    Any feedback on these would be great.

Have applied for these courses, both Level 8 and Level 7 on my CAO.

I presume the level 7 course is the 3 strand computing course and the level 8 is the games programming one?

draffodx wrote: »
    I presume the level 7 course is the 3 strand computing course and the level 8 is the games programming one?

Yes the 3 strand level 7 but the level 8 one i'm on about is the honours degree in computing not games programming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Going into second year, looking to move up to the student apartments.. any use? Not looking for anything too mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

HungryJoey wrote: »
    Going into second year, looking to move up to the student apartments.. any use? Not looking for anything too mad.

There more expensive per week and have a very big deposit compared to housing accommodation. However, they do have internet access, rubbish is taken care off and security is far more guaranteed than is a house. Once your in a contract if you leave early you wont get any money back, including the full deposit.

In terms of parties or noise they would be quieter in general than the estates as theres usually a caretaker there to stop people(this is both a good and bad thing)

• Advertisement

Yes the 3 strand level 7 but the level 8 one i'm on about is the honours degree in computing not games programming.

Ah I see, the 3 strand will lead you to the Level 8 add on anyway.

I done the 3 strand and selected software development after the first year, I then went on to do the level 8 commercial computing add on.

The 3 strand first year is really helpful as it mixes in aspects of software development, applications & support and networking.

So you get a feel for all three different aspects and get to choose which one you prefer at the end of first year and follow on that strand for the next 2 years.

1st year is pretty easy but the main thing is not to miss much classes, falling behind seemed to be the big factor in people giving up, some of the classes can be hard to motivate yourself to go to, especially in first year as there will be a few classes you will wonder what the point of them are.

2nd year gets more interesting as its more geared towards your chosen strand but you still get a mix in with classes from the other strands, things get a bit harder too as you suspect.

3rd year is where things got really interesting for me as we started creating some proper software programs and had a big project to complete.

The add on commercial computing was the hardest but most rewarding year for me, its essential to do if you want to get a job in software development.

If you have any more specific questions fire away

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Sorry just noticed this now , Yeah fire any questions on and ill do my best to answer them. Going into my final year myself in September and looking forward to it.

Ah I see, the 3 strand will lead you to the Level 8 add on anyway.

I done the 3 strand and selected software development after the first year, I then went on to do the level 8 commercial computing add on.

The 3 strand first year is really helpful as it mixes in aspects of software development, applications & support and networking.

So you get a feel for all three different aspects and get to choose which one you prefer at the end of first year and follow on that strand for the next 2 years.

1st year is pretty easy but the main thing is not to miss much classes, falling behind seemed to be the big factor in people giving up, some of the classes can be hard to motivate yourself to go to, especially in first year as there will be a few classes you will wonder what the point of them are.

2nd year gets more interesting as its more geared towards your chosen strand but you still get a mix in with classes from the other strands, things get a bit harder too as you suspect.

3rd year is where things got really interesting for me as we started creating some proper software programs and had a big project to complete.

The add on commercial computing was the hardest but most rewarding year for me, its essential to do if you want to get a job in software development.

If you have any more specific questions fire away

Thanks for the reply. Did you find the teaching to be of a good standard? Also, what do you make of the facilities both in general and for the computing courses?

Thanks for the reply. Did you find the teaching to be of a good standard? Also, what do you make of the facilities both in general and for the computing courses?

To be honest, the teaching standards are hit and miss, mainly very good though but there are some below par lecturers in there and some that know there stuff but dont know how to teach it.

That said that if you work hard enough the standard of the poorer lecturers wont really get in your way, we cant live in a perfect world anyway.

There is an excellent facility for out of class tuition for classes you are struggling in too and I'd stress that you should use that if you find yourself struggling in classes.

The facilities are pretty good to be honest, I've been away for a year now as I graduated in 2009 and got a job last December. But when I was leaving they had only one lab with ancient pc's the rest had decent Dell Vostro machines.

And I do believe that they were moving the computing dept to carrols building so the facilities could be even better now.

Other facilities are pretty decent too, you have a couple of small cafeteria type places within the college and then a nice big canteen on the grounds, the MPC is there if you want to book indoor or anything like that.

Thanks for the reply again. Sounds great, went to the open day last year but didn't see everything so your account of the place is helpful to me.

One thing I am annoyed with was that I was told there would be a new music technology course starting this year when I went to the open day.

They don't seem very good in keeping their promises as I haven't heard anything about such a course. It's probably not the first timne its been delayed and mightn't be the last!

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply again. Sounds great, went to the open day last year but didn't see everything so your account of the place is helpful to me.

One thing I am annoyed with was that I was told there would be a new music technology course starting this year when I went to the open day.

They don't seem very good in keeping their promises as I haven't heard anything about such a course. It's probably not the first timne its been delayed and mightn't be the last!

Might be worth contacting the college directly, even call in if possible with details and ask if they will be running the course if you haven't done so already.

Might be worth contacting the college directly, even call in if possible with details and ask if they will be running the course if you haven't done so already.

Have done so already. They didn't have it ready in time. Shame really.

Have done so already. They didn't have it ready in time. Shame really.

If you think that was bad , try having a masters cancelled on the last minute due to the college not been able to get it recognised.

Thankfully didn't happen to me as i study Accounting myself.

Sarge wrote: »
    If you think that was bad , try having a masters cancelled on the last minute due to the college not been able to get it recognised.

Thankfully didn't happen to me as i study Accounting myself.

A taught masters!?

Thats pretty poor form!

CaraWebDesign,

at what stage of the Computing course are you in? How are you finding it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 exisle

First of all - the Head of Department is brilliant. He is definitely the right person to be a strong figure head for the department. Every time I have talked with him I came away a little smarter.
    I am in the Computing Level 8 (not Games) and I would generally recommend this course. The instruction is decent, albeit hit and miss. Some courses are much harder than others and some classes are taught differently depending on the lecturer. It seems to me they need to tighten up their standards and perhaps have a standard set of instructions for a given class. Also, for some classes if a module that is on the prospectus doesn't fit into the schedule, it is just dropped, which seems quite bizarre to me given that we are supposed to be learning predetermined objectives.
    Level 8 Games is a decent course as well from what I have seen and heard, although a lot of the courses that are offered to the Games students are offered to Computing as well, so I am not sure if it makes much of a difference in the end. The Games students come out with a Computing degree called Games Design with some background on games and Computing students come out with a Computing Degree which may have a lot of games courses stuffed into it, so it is just a bit of external optics at the end to get the XBox generation in the seats.
    I wouldn't generally recommend the Level 7 Computing unless you honestly don't plan on going past that level. Many students took level 7 specifically because you can go on to a fourth year top-up and come out with a level 8 qualification, however because many of the level 7 graduates go on to become programming VB widgets they get taught in Visual Basic as the main language, whereas level 8 is taught in Java. In my opinion they are getting an inferior education as a result on the basis of what is being demanded of graduates of the individual programs. If you don't know the difference, VB is a language based on BASIC (Beginner's All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code), which is a programming language from the 60s and in use in the 70s and 80s. It has long been eclipsed by superior languages and it doesn't offer support for object oriented programming which has been the programming standard for the past 15 years. (How long will we allow Microsoft to hold us back?!)
    As far as IT vs. University: I was talking to a Head of Department of a University Computing department and he said from their feedback IT graduates seem to do better right out of the gate as they have received practical training whereas University grads seem to do better in the long run as they are taught more theory which comes in handy later. If you are going to stay in Ireland there is probably nothing wrong with going to an IT but you may have trouble in other parts of the world where an IT degree is seen as inferior to a University degree.
    As a college, I would recommend DkIT and I would definitely recommend the Level 8 Computing courses, also the new computing building promises to be fantastic as well.

Originally Posted by flyswatter

There is definitely a problem with organisation and communication. For our course, we didn't find out that our course name had been changed and the courses changed as well until we showed up on the first day. It was originally supposed to be "Internet Technologies" and many people came to learn internet technologies and were quite irritated it had been changed to a general computing degree.

draffodx,
    I'm getting along fine. It is easier than I expected. For someone that is committed to the process and keen on getting the most out of it, it is a pretty good place to go. I always tell anyone who listens, "If you go to college here for 3 or 4 years and the only thing you get out it is a piece of paper, you have more or less wasted your time as you will have to actually learn everything in the heat of the work place instead of in college where you should have learned it."
    You mentioned that the instruction was hit and miss. I would second that opinion, but the nice thing about small classes is that even if the lecturer isn't a gifted teacher, you can still ask them questions until you get an answer that clicks. With one of the lecturers, you need to just read the course prospectus at the beginning of the semester and go out and learn it on your own because you aren't going to learn as a consequence of the quality of the instruction. If you can't be self taught you are probably heading into the wrong field as the rest of your career will need to be that way, so you may as well get some practice in college. Good grades are over rated but the ability to learn is a skill on its own.

I agree I would highly reccomend DKIT, I had a great 4 years there from enjoying the entertainment and craic there to the real hard but rewarding work in the later years it is definately a great place to go and well worth the investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 kizzle

Is anyone here part of the Public Relations course in DKIT, or even know of someone who is doing it? Just hoping someone can tell me if its any good as I've applied to do it!

• Advertisement

kizzle wrote: »
    Is anyone here part of the Public Relations course in DKIT, or even know of someone who is doing it? Just hoping someone can tell me if its any good as I've applied to do it!

Yeah I know a few people that did that course , They all loved it especially the work placement in year 3.

Sarge wrote: »
    Yeah I know a few people that did that course , They all loved it especially the work placement in year 3.

Same here, seemed to be an enjoyable course and everyone I knew doing it loved it, seemed to have a very small drop out rate which is always a good sign

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Get ready for a tight squeeze next year folks. Over a thousand extra people going to attend DkIT next year!

Get ready for a tight squeeze next year folks. Over a thousand extra people going to attend DkIT next year!

Yeah heard that myself , definitely wouldn't like to be hitting first year now :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Link?

There's a new building for multimedia though, so I can't imagine it will be too tight of a squeeze though.

I hope...

Good news for the college, hopefully it'll help it grow and become even bigger, I always felt that DKIT was too small and should be bigger.

I hope that in 10 - 15 years it'll be a proper big campus, I think it deserves to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

it was an article in the Argus and it was a quote from registars dept

While there may be room for them in classrooms etc with the Carrolls building almost ready to roll other areas of the college wont be able to handle that influx

Carpark, Library, Canteen etc Its going to be nuts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Carpark, Library, Canteen etc Its going to be nuts

Would have thought there was a canteen in the building.

Never thought about the library of car park though.
    Thankfully I won't be driving.

Library is bad enough as it is though.
    Nowhere near enough computers for the amount of students.
    Laptop ftw.

Edit: just wanted to mention that I've been in the multimedia building a couple of times since it was finished.
    Horrible dark building with very little natural light.
    Reminded me of a hospital, except with less lighting.
    Even smelt like a hospital.

Not really looking forward to being in there full time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

Dont forget the bar during rag week as well :D

• Advertisement

cc87 wrote: »
    Dont forget the bar during rag week as well :D

Actually it could do with a new proper built bar

Advertisement