Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weeding techniques ?

Options
  • 15-07-2010 10:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭

HI..
    Just back from holidays and my god did the weeds grow when we were away !!
    I have two beds thich I have beeing hoeing weekly and they were done the day before I left..Aparrently it rainned every day I was away and one of the beds is near overgrown !!
    The biggest probelm is grass rather than weeds, is seems the soft hoed ground let it root down quickly..

I'm about 75% way back to normal weed control but the back is knackered and have lifted 8-10 wheel barrows of crap already :(

Do people pull weeds or hoe as I'm really disappointed it got so bad so quickly..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I find hoeing is only useful for just germinated weeds, so that if they are disturbed they just die off. Mature weeds will still have to be gathered up so I find it easier to pull them, especially while the ground is so soft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

looksee wrote: »
    I find hoeing is only useful for just germinated weeds, so that if they are disturbed they just die off. Mature weeds will still have to be gathered up so I find it easier to pull them, especially while the ground is so soft.

Pull the weeds and leave in situ. Dont gather and throw in a pile. By leaving on the ground around your gowing veg, you help keep in moisture and keep out light. Keeping out light hampers growth for new weeds:D Leaving already pulled weeds on the ground, will longer term create organic manure as they rot down:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Thats an interesting suggestion, I haven't tried that, does it create any problems with slugs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

looksee wrote: »
    Thats an interesting suggestion, I haven't tried that, does it create any problems with slugs?

You dont need to do anything other than plant veg in the first place to create a slug problem. It's natural that these bastrads will try to eat your hard work. Weeding as I describe, may possibly give them some extra cover, BUT ............ a scatter of slug pellets is what's required. I do not use chemical sprays, or chemical fertilizers ............. but I do use the blue pellets, because quite simply, all the other airy fairy anti slug methods, are a waste of time.
    Nuke the slugs I say, and you have a very good chance of eating your own veg. :cool::cool::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Jay Pentatonic

Tora Bora wrote: »
    Pull the weeds and leave in situ. Dont gather and throw in a pile. By leaving on the ground around your gowing veg, you help keep in moisture and keep out light. Keeping out light hampers growth for new weeds:D Leaving already pulled weeds on the ground, will longer term create organic manure as they rot down:D:D

would never have thought of that, it's genius!:cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement