Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mullingar Sportive - 18 July - Tour Of The Lakes

• 15-07-2010 10:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭

Here

Sign on for this touring event will be at Mullingar Rugby Club on the Castlepollard Road Junction 11 off the N4 Mullingar bypass. Taking in the beautiful country side of the Lake County this popular event will give you a number of distances to choose from 30k, up to over 120k. Entry fee €15, refreshments and showers will be provided.

Anyone going?
    (if so what time is the start at ....? )

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

From Tom Carolan, the Touring/Leisure Committee,
    ... and this Sunday (18th July) sees the club hosting our annual Tour of the Lakes.
    Now sit up straight and pay attention while I tell you about the arrangements for the said tour. It will set off from the Rugby club in Cullion at 10.00am. Signing on commences at 9.00 and you are urged to get there in good time to facilitate an on-time departure. The tour itself will be split into three groups based on likely average speeds and will take cyclists through Killucan, Raharney, and over towards Castlepollard, Streete and then eventually home via Multyfarnham. The (very modest) signing on fee covers entry to the event, free spare tube, map, energy bars and drinks etc. mechanical backup, and a hot meal at the close of the day. Now, if you can find any event that offers better value than that, just tell me about it and I’ll see you there! Please turn up to support your club and help to make the event the success it deserves to be.

On top of all that, there will be another, less onerous spin setting off from the Rugby Club at 12.30. This latter outing will cater for those of you who may be thinking of giving group cycling a go, perhaps for the first time, or even those who just fancy a slightly shorter outing of 25Km or thereabouts at a leisurely pace and with the promise of a hot meal at the end of it all. Signing on opens at 11.45 and all are welcome. The only rule is that helmets must be worn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Doubt I will do this one Caro, 120km is a bit of a stretch for me right now.

Have to say though, sounds like cracking value for 15 euro!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

El Tonto, Godihatethehils, LDB, niceonetom and yours truly turned up. Also present were Ventoux, cdaly, and possibly a few more?
    The weather was a bit crappy, it rained for most of it but the rain was warm so it wasn't so bad.

There was 3 group: A/ the fast group; B/ the not as fast group; C/ the nost as fast as the not as fast group. Which is afaik the way the club organise their spins.

We ( the boardsies ) headed with the fast group. The course was quite undulated, as you would expect from the midlands. I didn't pay much notice to the scenery expect a few castles and ruins, I was too busy trying to keep the pace up. Some people fell back quite early. Myself I stayed with the group until about km 80 where a few more hills made me fall out the back ... as it always happen.

111km - enjoyable -great organisation and hot food at the finish ( pasta w/ 3 different choice of sauce ) supplied by a restaurant ( Oscar's in Mulllingar I think )

Despite the weather, I very much enjoyed the spin.

Thanks to the Lakeside wheelers!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭godihatedehills

tonto won it.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭estariol

Did this one too, went with the B group (too much celebrating after the 5 miler in the park made this seem like a good option) lovely bunch the lakeside guys. Really interesting idea breaking into groups. Kept it rolling along nicely in the hideous conditions until the first hill then the hammer went down.....

All in all a great event, not gonna wear the white bibs next time, become a bit too transparent in the rain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭estariol

tonto won it.

;)

any idea what time he got around in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

tonto won it.

;)
    Was there a doping control?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

tonto won it.

;)

I am aware that this event was run by a recognised CC. However when you say Tonto "won" it, this implies it was a race.
    Do the powers that be (SSB, UCI, Irish Times) recognise this as a race?
    was there a podium?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭DinaElla

Really enjoyed this and well ran - went with 2nd group but got dropped with hills about 42k in .. really need to learn how to handle the hills better. Did the rest of the cycle some others that got dropped and really enjoyed it despite the weather.

Food after was very good :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭DeviantD

Hi,
    This was a well run event and a good turn out despite the weather. Will definatly do this again next year.
    started with the first group but got dropped when i tried to put my rain jacket back on after only taken it off, so went along with the second group till the finish.
    Got a puncture with in the last 1.5 km so jumped into back of jeep, got to my car and battery was dead so had to wait for breakdown assistance.

Apart from that, it was a great day.

Thanks Lakeside wheelers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Really enjoyed this, despite the awful conditions (light rain for the first half, torrential rain for the secon). Well done to Lakeside Wheelers for putting on an excellent event. The showers and the hot food at the end were great on a day like that.
    tonto won it.

;)

In fairness, I think I was fourth home. I don't want to attract a reputation for falsifying my non-UCI sanctioned race results.
    estariol wrote: »
    any idea what time he got around in?
    3:25 according to my computer
    blorg wrote: »
    Was there a doping control?

Hell no. It's safe to assume I was out of my mind on drugs.

Advertisement