Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thieving b%s£ard$

Options
  • 15-07-2010 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭

This is the side entrance to a preserved building in Gorey. Up to a few months ago it had two large granite Gothic arches over the gate...no more :mad:.

No prizes for guessing who stole them :rolleyes: Thieving b%s£ard$.
    P.S. I informed the local council. I might as well have told NASA to deploy a satellite to keep an eye out for them.

Anyone happen to come across them on their travels? Are you the recipient of stolen goods? (Would you own-up if you were?)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

Would have taken a few people to remove them. Hopefully they show up somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

A before picture would be good if you have one?

ronaneire wrote: »
    Would have taken a few people to remove them. Hopefully they show up somewhere.

Maybe, but from the pic it looks like they were pulled forward (note the damage to the front edge of the slates. Usual trick is to back up a truck and just pull the item into the back then drive off, often happens when the weather is really really bad and no one else is sutpid enough to be out in it. In case you think pulling the weight into a truck will damage it then there are two options one steal the truck first so if caught you can run off and leave it two fill the truck back with old tyres.

In case you hadn't guessed I've a full case history's of serveral similar incidents where I used to work, gates stolen, gate capping stolen, statuary stolen, more statuary stolen etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭'scorthy

ttm wrote: »
    A before picture would be good if you have one?
    It's when I went up to take the photograph for preservation reasons that I noticed they were gone. I don't know how they could do it without someone noticing...row of houses in front and one right beside. An unusual thing about these arches was that at the joining at the top there was a small circle carved of about 3" in diameter i.e. leaving a semi-circles on each arch. The mark of the stone mason perhaps?
    Must be a market for these or else...In this case no one's going to pursue it because it's the tax payers property & history.

Sad to see that nothings sacred :(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Part of this is down to unscrupulous salvage dealers who ask no questions when such items are brought into them. Years ago I dealt in salvage including water pumps (the village green variety) and used to buy them from another dealer, tart them up and sell them on through an auction room. There was a good profit in it but I gave it up as I didn't wish to be involved in destroying heritage items not to mention blatant theft by the same individuals as probably stole the gothic material mentioned above. :(

• Advertisement

'scorthy wrote: »
    It's when I went up to take the photograph for preservation reasons that I noticed they were gone. I don't know how they could do it without someone noticing...row of houses in front and one right beside. An unusual thing about these arches was that at the joining at the top there was a small circle carved of about 3" in diameter i.e. leaving a semi-circles on each arch. The mark of the stone mason perhaps?
    Must be a market for these or else...In this case no one's going to pursue it because it's the tax payers property & history.

Sad to see that nothings sacred :(.

You think thats bad, we had 40k's worth of lead statuary stolen and there's a good chance it went to be melted down for scrap (too identifiable to be sold anywhere locally)!

The gates I mentioned were sold the following morning to an Architectual scrapyard not 20miles away. Dealer knew nothing and had no reason to take the details of the vehicle as he suspected nothing :rolleyes:

Getting away with it in this country has to be very easy in this mainly "say nuffing" society. Wouldn't be supprised if that arch was taken in under 5minutes start to finish. Another technique is to get it all losened off first or even moved a bit from its postition then come back with a lorry and find the item dumped on the side of the road - oh look whats been dumped finders keepers its not stealing :rolleyes: In this case it could have been pushed over then picked up later.

Always a chance the council have it in a yard somewhere and they are so organised the people you spoke to don't know? Maybe removed for restoration or because someone reported it as being dangerous?

Advertisement