Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crysis Vs Farcry 2

Options
  • 15-07-2010 11:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi Guys

Got a new laptop few days ago and I fancy seeing what it can do. Was hoping some people can give their opinions on these two games. I'll probably get both but only really have time to play one at the moment.

Opinions on which one is more entertaining, gameplay, graphics etc. Not looking for detail just a I liked xxxxxxx more because of XYZ.

On a side note the last CnC I've played was Tib Wars, the releases after that any good?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

farcry 2 is crap, doesnt compare to crysis on any level...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Far Cry 2 is very sh1t. I wasn't blown away by Crysis apart from the visuals, but it's certainly a better game than FC2 which is the only game I have ever returned (after 2 days).

The last C&C game I played was Generals and I enjoyed it, although it just didn't pull me in like the older classics. Might be worth a look though as you could probably get it very cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Far Cry 2 is more of a sandbox, in that you pick up missions and travel around whatever way you want. The only problem is the missions are pretty much all the same and travelling around is so tedious it would make you rage quit, as you have to travel through the same respawning enemies over and over every 10 minutes.

Crysis while not a true sanbox per-se is more linear but you can approach stuff in different ways, and the levels are pretty spacious, for the first half of the game.

Id recommend crysis

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I liked Far Cry 2. It looks fantastic and plays well, but gets very repetative, since all the missions are "go here and kill everyone".

Crysis is great until you get to the aliens and it goes to pot. Pick up Crysis Warhead (or there might even be a multipack with Crysis and Warhead in it). Warhead still goes to pot when the aliens appear, but it's better implemented than Crysis.

So if you've only the money for one, get neither and find a copy of Crysis Warhead. But you'll probably be able to pick them all up for fairly cheap now, anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

They can all be got cheaply enough on steam.I bought the lot as a pack just after rebuilding my pc.Crysis looks lovely but just couldnt get into it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

humanji wrote: »
    I liked Far Cry 2. It looks fantastic and plays well, but gets very repetative, since all the missions are "go here and kill everyone".

Crysis is great until you get to the aliens and it goes to pot. Pick up Crysis Warhead (or there might even be a multipack with Crysis and Warhead in it). Warhead still goes to pot when the aliens appear, but it's better implemented than Crysis.

So if you've only the money for one, get neither and find a copy of Crysis Warhead. But you'll probably be able to pick them all up for fairly cheap now, anyway.

I didn't play warhead, but I really enjoyed Crysis. I enjoyed the alien levels too, very different play style compared to the early game but still very enjoyable and implimented much better than a previous set of aliens levels (*cough* Xen levels in half life *cough*).

Farcry 2 is a pile of steaming poo though in my opinion, I wouldn't bother with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Far Cry 2 is excellent, very difficult but once u get in to it, its very enjoyable. Crysis will only play on your laptop if its some kind of super computer from the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Da_Chief

**Vai** wrote: »
    Crysis will only play on your laptop if its some kind of super computer from the future.

How did you know I had a super computer from the future? We'll checked on System Requirements Lab and seems OK.

Thanks for the thoughts lads, I'm getting Farycry is a far cry from a good game (had too). Crysis doesn't seem to be getting to many people excited either though, I might just look for a good strategy game, generally prefer those anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,463 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

will your laptop play Crysis? as it is still considered the most graphic intensive game
    try World in Conflict if you like the C&C games as it has a good story as well as a good game

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Menengroth™

**Vai** wrote: »
    Crysis will only play on your laptop if its some kind of super computer from the future.

Plays just fine on mine with everything on 'Very High' and 4xAA =o

Crysis is a fun game, looks awesome, must get around to completing it
    got bored at the part just after you come across the Koreans wearing the similar knock-off suits - how much longer is left after that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

If you want to test what you machine can do, try Metro 2033 or Batman: Arkham Asylum. They can be fairly demanding, but tweekable if you find you can't run them.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I actually enjoyed Far Cry 2, Crysis on the other hand got crap when the aliens arrived, nice visuals but bland game behind all the eye candy.. Far Cry 2 had a few cool features like weapons jammed/you could burn the grass etc so overall I enjoyed FC2 more :)

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭docmol

Get the original Far Cry, a few years old so your laptop will run it with all the eye candy, and a brilliant game. Should be nice and cheap as well:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Da_Chief wrote: »
    How did you know I had a super computer from the future? We'll checked on System Requirements Lab and seems OK.

Hahaha. Seriously tho, it is a hog of a game my pc was supposedly ok to play it too but it was very choppy. Crysis and GTA IV are the only games my pc hasnt been able to play, both are notorious for it.
    Plays just fine on mine with everything on 'Very High' and 4xAA =o

Must be a very nice pc, ya lucky hoor! :)
    docmol wrote: »
    Get the original Far Cry, a few years old so your laptop will run it with all the eye candy, and a brilliant game. Should be nice and cheap as well:D

Agreed whole heartedly, I still play that game occasionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Both ****.

Get Arma 2 Arrowhead and see how your laptop holds up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

Crysis for sure. With each playthrough that game continues to amaze me more and more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Crysis is really quite enjoyable. The vehicle sections are pretty lousy but there aren't many, and the difficulty settings were nice and innovative, with higher settings putting less information in the HUD (It's not as easy to dodge a grenade when your HUD won't target it and show you where it's landing) and having the enemies speaking Korean instead of Engrish.

It's well worth a try and will still put any machine to the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Definitely Crysis over FC2, that game was the most boring piece of crap I've ever played. Seriously, respawning enemies every few minutes? What is this, the 90's?

I was able to play Crysis on high settings on my laptop (I had 1 or 2 settings turned to low or off) but the game itself was very buggy. There's a known problem with it stalling on certain levels, happened to me on the last level.

But I played the game twice, the 2nd time round on Hard and I did things differently. I still enjoyed it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Might as well through my two cents in. My first play through of crysis i wasn't particularly impressed ( with gameplay) second and third though were awesome because i became pretty adept at utilising the nanosuit.

My first play through of far cry 2 was ........ oh wait i never finished it, so scratch that. Sheeeeeeeite pretty much sums it up, avoid at all costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,309 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

seeing what your new lappy is capable of, check out Shattered Horizon and Sniper: Ghost Warrior. Both are up on steam and should do well at giving your laptop a shakedown. Dawn of War 2 also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Get Crysis and get Mech Warrior: Living Legends.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I really enjoyed Crysis actually, it was one of the few games where the graphics actually aided the gameplay and while it still wasn't particularly deep it was enjoyable nonetheless.

Far Cry 2, on the other hand, has some of the most annoying game mechanics I've ever seen. Case in point, the roadblocks dotted across the map. You're traveling on a mission from A to B and along the way come across a few roadblocks with enemy troops. You clear out the roadblocks and continue on your way. Once you reach B and do your thing, you turn around and go back to A. The enemies at the roadblocks then respawn and you have to do the whole thing again. It's utterly frustrating. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I actually enjoyed Far Cry 2 for what it was. A pretty good FPS sandbox. The story isn't really there, but then it's the price you pay it seems for having non-linear freedom to do whatever you want.

But Crysis definitely trumps it. My laptop with a nVidia GT240M (current mid to low spec graphics card) card can handle it pretty well. Crysis: Warhead though was a real improvement in the series imo, with a much better narrative and progression.

On top of that, Crysis: Wars is a great online multiplayer. It can be as crazy at times like instagib, low gravity maps in UT or as serious as Battlefield. I can never understand why more people don't play it.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,309 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

i dont know what people complain about crysis for. It was a bit of a tech exhibition more than an AAA game but it was still fun and enjoyable. The only thing I felt bad about was the ending, besides that it was a blast.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

L31mr0d wrote: »
    I actually enjoyed Far Cry 2 for what it was. A pretty good FPS sandbox. The story isn't really there, but then it's the price you pay it seems for having non-linear freedom to do whatever you want.

Yeah, if you made a bit of effort you could really immerse yourself in the environment, if not the storyline, which was quite poor.

Sure the incessantly spawning roadblocks full of hostile, persistently chasing guards was annoying as **** after a while, but still. I wouldn't give it classic status by any stretch of the imagination, but it was still good fun.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Personally I enjoyed far cry 2 alot more than crysis,even if it was very repetitive.

Advertisement