Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get 1950s wind up watch fixed?

Options
  • 15-07-2010 11:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

I have a 1950s wind-up watch and the wind-up mechanism has stopped working. Is there anywhere in Dublin city where I could get this fixed, and does anyone know how much it would cost? Thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

There is a place in Limerick alright, but in Dublin I'm not so sure. Certainly not at anything approaching good value. Price also depends on what's broken. Could be something very simple or it could be something expensive that requires a new part. If its an uncommon part then it can get really expensive as it may have to be made from scratch.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 konstruktsiya

I heard of the place in Limerick all right. Might be worth the trip. Does anyone know how much he charges?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

he will not know until he examines it, would you consider posting it, include the cost of return postage if it is unable or too costly to fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,214 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Might not be handy for you but I sent stuff to a man on scotland - Michael Swift

Price guides for his work is here, but he'll need to see it in order to quote:

http://www.michaelswift.co.uk/priceguide.php

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Wow :eek: he's very reasonable. Incredibly so.:eek: How did your repairs go with him funkey_monkey? Cheers for the link BTW.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Really pleased with them. I sent him a Q&Q chronograph which was not working and he replaced the cell and gave it an overhaul. Also converted an electric clock to battery as well. Very tidy work. He is popular so has a few weeks wait to get items back from him.

There is now a great documentary about Micahel Swift viewable here:

http://www.michaelswift.co.uk/documentary.php

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I work in an antique shop in Galway, and we use Conor Tully near Loughrea. His number is 091-842361, and his website is www.tullywatchrepair.com.

His son is also in the business and works with him.

He isn't the cheapest of people, but he'll give you a proper quote before the repair, and we've found that he will stand over his work. He also won't do a half arsed job; it's do it right or leave it alone!!!

Alternatively there is Gina Cahill in Gort (she used to be the Watchmakers Workshop in Woodquay in Galway), or you could try Richard Quinn on Dominic Street in Galway.

We used to use the Watch and Jewellery Repair Centre on Abbeygate Street in Galway, but I don't think that they're doing mechanical watch repairs anymore. However, they still do jewellery repairs and do excellent quality work without ripping people off. Again they work on the theory of not taking on a job if it won't be done right.

I never realised that this forum was here before! Amazing considering how much time I spend on Boards!!

Advertisement