Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Lance finished?

• 15-07-2010 11:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭

Reckon he'll change his mind and come back for another bash next year after this years le tour debacle?

Or has the passage of time finally caught up with him?

Shame for him to end his le tour career like this in fairness

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Never underestimate the greatest cyclist the world has ever known.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Lumen wrote: »
    Never underestimate the greatest cyclist the world has ever known.

Merckx is making a comeback !!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

He has changed his mind already, next year will be all about Ironman... and I predict he will not be good enough to make people wonder if he is doping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Reckon he'll change his mind and come back for another bash next year after this years le tour debacle?

Never fear it won't end like this.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more_sports/2010/07/13/2010-07-13_source_grand_jury_subpoenas_lance_armstrong_sponsor_trek_in_cycling_drug_probe.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

mloc123 wrote: »
    He has changed his mind already, next year will be all about Ironman... and I predict he will not be good enough to make people wonder if he is doping.

He'll do well and and finish very close to, but behind, the winner *

*Of the ladies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

good riddance. don't let the door slam on the way out lancie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,460 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭dmg10

Wouldn't underestimate his ability to compete in something like this....is there something at the back of my mind that remembers reading that his intro to cycling as a sport was as a professional triathlete and was national champion?? 2 of 3 sports done and trained for.....would be curious to see that race :)

The real question is...will he beat Tunney?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Phil Liggett mentioned in his commentary of the Tour the other day that Lance will be racing next year, just not in the Tour de France. Apparently he has already committed to next year's Amgen Tour of California.

As an aside, I found it interesting when reading the Paris-Brest-Paris EPO article that Amgen originally discovered synthetic EPO. I do believe that to be ironic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

The real question is...will he beat Tunney?

Depends how many drugs Tunney takes, and if slideshowbob sees it as a race or not...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

dmg10 wrote: »
    is there something at the back of my mind that remembers reading that his intro to cycling as a sport was as a professional triathlete
    Glad you asked

001088032.jpg

lance-armstrong.jpg

A born climber. ;)

lance_triathlon_17yo.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

dmg10 wrote: »
    Wouldn't underestimate his ability to compete in something like this....is there something at the back of my mind that remembers reading that his intro to cycling as a sport was as a professional triathlete and was national champion?? 2 of 3 sports done and trained for.....would be curious to see that race :)

Look up the splits that IM pros are putting in, people presume Lance will out bike them all... I would be suprised if he has the fastest split on the day. His best Marathon to date is 2.46? IM guys are running this off the bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Look up the splits that IM pros are putting in, people presume Lance will out bike them all... I would be suprised if he has the fastest split on the day. His best Marathon to date is 2.46? IM guys are running this off the bike.

Lance would get his back flatter on a tri bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭dmg10

LOL I can see I've started something here with the photos cropping up. Just as well gear has come a long way since....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

He's finished as far as another Tour win is concerned however career wise - he's still doing better than about 150 top pros right now. Anyone else and that would be considered awesome.

el tel wrote: »
    career wise - he's still doing better than about 150 top pros right now

How's that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

he's still doing better than about 150 top pros right now
    Isn't that a contradiction in terms?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Well he was never going to win the Tour. He's too old for it. Winning seven is enough for anyone. I'd say he just missed the competition and wanted to stay around, I doubt he honestly felt he could win it anyway.

That's completely misleading. He's the team leader, so you should only compare him against other team leaders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

That's completely misleading. He's the team leader, so you should only compare him against other team leaders.
    3rd in the Tour last year was still impressive whatever way you look at it.

Not really, everyone in the Tour is a competitor, so if you finish in the top 20 it is impressive enough -only thing is how much gear he's on :)

Not really, everyone in the Tour is a competitor, so if you finish in the top 20 it is impressive enough

Of course, but he's not "doing better than about 150 top pros", since most of them are not competing for the GC.

Of course, but he's not "doing better than about 150 top pros", since most of them are not competing for the GC.

But neither was he in anyone other than his deluded little mind :)

At the end of the day, he's doing better than any of us would (except perhaps Ryan Sherlock), and it's impressive for a guy that old

Advertisement