Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Runners log : Patience and Consistency

• 15-07-2010 11:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭

So i swore that i wouldnt start up another log till i achieved the main objective of old log , which was to go sub 40 for 10k , which i did in the 2010 womens mini marathon , exactly a year after originally planned
    So this will be mainly a runners log as suggested by the title with the odd tri or adventure race thrown in .

Current Best
    5k : 18.40
    5 miles : 36 min
    10k : 39min 50 sec ( very proud of this one , big struggle to get there)
    HM : none

Short term Goals : achieve within a year
    5k : 18.15
    5 mile : sub 31 min
    10k : sub 39 min
    HM : 1hr 35min ( not too sure bout this one )
    GaelForce West : complete 2010
    warrior run : do in 2011

Long Term Goals
    5k : sub 18min
    5 miles : sub 30min
    10k : sub 37.50min
    HM : sub 1hr 30min
    Marathon : complete , swore i would never do one but its in the head there somewhere !

Currently training for Adidas HM on Sept 18 , this is my current A goal , will do GF and Street of Galway along the way .

Session for today 30min tempo , will post link ltr

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Seres wrote: »
    So i swore that i wouldnt start up another log till i achieved the main objective of old log , which was to go sub 40 for 10k , which i did in the 2010 womens mini marathon , exactly a year after originally planned
    So this will be mainly a runners log as suggested by the title with the odd tri or adventure race thrown in .

Current Best
    5k : 18.40
    5 miles : 36 min
    10k : 39min 50 sec ( very proud of this one , big struggle to get there)
    HM : none

Short term Goals : achieve within a year
    5k : 18.15
    5 mile : sub 31 min
    10k : sub 39 min
    HM : 1hr 35min ( not too sure bout this one )
    GaelForce West : complete 2010
    warrior run : do in 2011

Long Term Goals
    5k : sub 18min
    5 miles : sub 30min
    10k : sub 37.50min
    HM : sub 1hr 30min
    Marathon : complete , swore i would never do one but its in the head there somewhere !

Currently training for Adidas HM on Sept 18 , this is my current A goal , will do GF and Street of Galway along the way .

Session for today 30min tempo , will post link ltr

Best of luck with the training given your time at the 10k recently i would say 1.35 is well within your range provided you have the mileage put in maybe even go a bit better than you think. Think i am pacing the 1.30 in this race hopefully training goes well enough that you may have a bullseye on my back for some part of the race;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Wow, you have achieved fantastic times! Fair dues to you. You're times are something I could not even dream about :o Well done!

Good luck with the log.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Hi Seres, thanks for starting a log. Definitely one to watch and I look forward to following your progress. Best of luck with your goals :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

best of luck seres, good going on the sub40 10k...it was just a matter of time really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Knew you'd be back... :D
    Congrats on the sub-40. We're now eagerly awaiting the sub 1:30. No pressure. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Best of Luck Seres.
    I think your half marathon Goal is a sinch. Ran 1hr 37 over a very hilly Enniscorthy HM with a 10k time of 43min 44sec in the GIR.
    I know you were very close to 40 minutes at the GIR so that would translate to taking about 7 minutes off my Enniscorthy time (and the Dublin half marathon is much flatter).
    With good training i think 1hr 30 or very close is a great possibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

thanks all , look forward to the banter , KC im not puttin any pressure on myself for the sub 1.30 for the half either , if you noticed i put it into my long term goals ;)

todays 30 min tempo

link http://connect.garmin.com/activity/40539928

not goin to be too hard on myself , head was ropey , bit of a cold , Av HR 162 , av pace 6.49

anyone any opinion on my HR , bit high ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

All the best with the log Seres, those goals will come to you !

Love the title of the log !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭jb-ski

Hi Seres,

firstly well done on the 10K.

looking forward to reading the log and watching your progress

best of luck,

Jb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Impressive 5k time there Seres. You certainly have speed on your side.
    So in prep for the HM the most important weekly session is your long run. Best of luck with this.

not goin to be too hard on myself , head was ropey , bit of a cold , Av HR 162 , av pace 6.49

Difficult to give you answer on this. Maybe its high, maybe its on the low side.
    Tempo runs tend to be in Zone 4 HR. As you weren't feeling well maybe you HR was a bit elevated because of it.
    A good way of knowing is comparing this session to another similar paced tempo session. Has average HR risen noticeably since last one?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Best of luck with the news goals Seres. You are one speedy woman!

Do you know your max HR?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

As abhainn said get the long run in weekly and 1.35 HM should be easy for you - just get your endurance right. I did 1.34 for same HM off a 42min 10k and 19.40 5k. Based on your 10k time as well id say you ll be closer to 1.30 than 1.35. best of luck with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭aero2k

Hi Seres,

Great to see you back doing a log. Your last one was very enjoyable.
    Those goals look eminently achievable given your recent performances.
    , Av HR 162 , av pace 6.49
    HR differs for everyone. Do you know what it was during the 10k race?
    Mine would probably be somewhere from 160-170 at that pace. I think my max is around 195 but I haven't hit that for a long time!

Abhainn wrote: »
    Impressive 5k time there Seres. You certainly have speed on your side.
    So in prep for the HM the most important weekly session is your long run. Best of luck with this.

Difficult to give you answer on this. Maybe its high, maybe its on the low side.
    Tempo runs tend to be in Zone 4 HR. As you weren't feeling well maybe you HR was a bit elevated because of it.
    A good way of knowing is comparing this session to another similar paced tempo session. Has average HR risen noticeably since last one?

no , actually gone down , took it a bit easier last night , was feelin a bit tender , thanks for advice though will do
    littlebug wrote: »
    Best of luck with the news goals Seres. You are one speedy woman!

Do you know your max HR?

thanks littlebug , flattered but dont really feel that way , dont know by max HR , any suggestions on easy test to figure it out ?
    aero2k wrote: »
    Hi Seres,

Great to see you back doing a log. Your last one was very enjoyable.
    Those goals look eminently achievable given your recent performances.

HR differs for everyone. Do you know what it was during the 10k race?
    Mine would probably be somewhere from 160-170 at that pace. I think my max is around 195 but I haven't hit that for a long time!
    thanks aero , hope to see ya when im up to do my A race, adidas HM , dont know what HR was for 10k race , wasnt really wearing it then , only really started to use it for controlled training recently so still gettin use to it

Friday 16th July 2010

AM : easy 24km cycle 59.08/14.95mi/15.2mi av pace

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/40612650

Lunch : easy run : 46.06min/5.43mi/8.29mi av pace/134 av HR

some core work and stretching this ev

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

thanks littlebug , flattered but dont really feel that way , dont know by max HR , any suggestions on easy test to figure it out ?

back in my early hr obsession days I tried this technique suggested to me by showry
    warm up, hard as you can run for 3 minutes, 2 min recovery and hard as you can run for 3 minutes - you should get your max HR on the second run.

Other people do hill repeats flat out with recovery back down and take the highest hr reading as your max.
    I suspect a lot of people only see their real max hr in races... mine was about 13bpm higher at the finish line of a race than I got using the first technique. It wasn't pretty and I don't want to experience it again but it made all my other numbers make sense ie my training heart rates had seemed ridiculously high before that. Until you have an idea of your max hr you can really only speculate about training rates I think as individual max hr can vary so widely.

See you at Streets of Galway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Great name for the log seres...
    Patience and Consistensy...two things any runner would do well to practice...

Best of luck with the log,some very good times there and realistic target times also.

littlebug wrote: »
    back in my early hr obsession days I tried this technique suggested to me by showry

Other people do hill repeats flat out with recovery back down and take the highest hr reading as your max.
    I suspect a lot of people only see their real max hr in races... mine was about 13bpm higher at the finish line of a race than I got using the first technique. It wasn't pretty and I don't want to experience it again but it made all my other numbers make sense ie my training heart rates had seemed ridiculously high before that. Until you have an idea of your max hr you can really only speculate about training rates I think as individual max hr can vary so widely.

See you at Streets of Galway!
    thanks , knew there was some sort of easy test but could remember it , will wear hr belt for SOG i think , see ya there

Sat17th july

Easy Run : 45min/4.83mi/9.22 av pace/127 Av HR

Sunday

LongRun : 1hr 40min/11.92mi/8.23 av pace/142 av HR

longest run ever , usual suspects started to ache : left hip and right knee
    very bad week for stretching and core work , really need to cop on here and do a least three times a week

Monday 19th July :

after work run home :easy Run 47.31min/5.53mi/8.35 pace/125av HR

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/41076203

PM : Core work & Stretching

Tuesday 20th july

AM : 24km Easy cycle : 14.95mi/58min

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/41252312

PM : 2km*4 with 2min 30 recovery : 7.57/8.00/7.57/8.10 : 58.36min/7.41mi/7.54 av pace / 155 av HR

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/41252307

doin a loop incorporating one hill , thought the first three were very fast so did the last one the other directions , hence the slower time , hill steeper !

Wednesday

AM : 50min easy : no garmin link forgot to charge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Good to see your log back Seres, well done on the sub-40.

I'd say the sub-95 would definitely be a goer looking at the 5k and 10k times.

Wednesday 21st July

PM : Core Stability/Stretching

Thursday 22th July

AM : Easy 24km cycle

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/41474646

PM : 4*10min tempo

tempo didnt go too well , legs were heavy , pace was bad and hr a bit high , couldnt really get into the session at all , think it was a bad idea goin for the cycle in the morning , legs were already a bit tired so i could have done with the extra hours of rest

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/41474642

Friday 23rd July

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/41474632

• Advertisement

saturday 24th july

rest day + streching (none done yesterday )

sunday 25th july

90min run with progression 30min progresssion afte 60min followed by stretching and core work

http://connect.garmin.com/splits/41712478

went well , did with camelbak with bladder 750ml full to simulate GF conditions

couldnt get water out of bladder tube at start then realised the bladder was wrong way up in bag :o , took a gel also for the first time , putrid , took bout 2/3 of it and loads of water , are they suppose to be just bout tolerable ?
    legs bit heavy and stiff

Monday 26th july

Easy 50min with strides

49min/5.72mi/8.34pace/138av hr

Core Stretching

Tuesday 27th July

Run with 35min tempo

50.13min/6.74mi/7.27pace/155av HR includes warmup/warm down

tempo part : 35min/5.11mi/6.50 av pace/163 av HR

tempo tough , underestimated the distance so when i looked at the clock for the first time expected it to be nearly 30min and it was less than 25
    found last ten min hard
    I rate todays session poor as my form didnt stay strong throughout and i stopped trying to keep my HR low after 25min
    next day will try to remain more controlled and strong throughout session
    not too worry , good lesson to carry thru to next tempo

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

Well done Seres,

I may follow your lead and set up a thread on this. I need to document what I am doing and this may encourage me to log my runs properly.

2 questions, are you using a specific diet?

What kind of core work do you do?

I am a fairly new runner with my only race being the adidas 5 mile which I did in a PB for me of 36.12 so I need some help

Perkina3 wrote: »
    Well done Seres,

I may follow your lead and set up a thread on this. I need to document what I am doing and this may encourage me to log my runs properly.

2 questions, are you using a specific diet?

What kind of core work do you do?

I am a fairly new runner with my only race being the adidas 5 mile which I did in a PB for me of 36.12 so I need some help

not really , try to eat healthy , lots of fruit anf veg , 2 ltrs of water per day and try to get food into me within half an hour of work out , prob need to loose bout 2.5kg to get the most of the training but i find this very hard , also weekends never go to plan eating wise

core work i do based on exercises and stretching given to me specifically for my weakness by my physio :

glutes : stretching and strenght for these
    Core : exercises for stability and strenght
    upperbody strenght : to improve running form and thus running economy

hope this helps , anything else ask .

tuesday 27th July

PM : 24km bike with 5*2km speedburst in 54min40sec

http://connect.garmin.com/splits/42176354 : bit ar$e ways the time .forgot to switch off garmin
    bike fitness not much on what it was this time last year

Wednesday 28th July

Easy 50min with strides & stretching : legs were very stiff , no link , sometimes like to go out without garmin

Core stability/Strenght/upper body work tonight : hate this but gotta do it

really find the stretching helps with recovery

Thursday 29th July

Long Run : 1hr45min/12.81mi/8.12av pace/141 av HR & Stretching after

up early for this , used the camelbak with bladder half full , no marks this time on shoulders , also took on gel , caffeinated blackcurrent from powerbar , went down well , will use more of these

no core work done yesterday night so will do tonight

Friday 30th July 2010

No Run
    Bike 23.27Km with 3*10min speed bursts with 3min recovery : 50.33/14.54mi/17.3 av pace

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/42964341

Saturday 31st July

5km run leg in rosses point ; 18.45 , didnt have my garmin so dont know if distance accurate , was told it was exact but would need more confirmation

Sunday 1st August

Nothing

Monday 2nd August

40min easy : 40.11min/4.62mi/8.42av pace
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/42964336

bad few days training, away camping and no cover to get out for a run , no core work done and only did 5 days last week with only 5km run on one
    of those days

Tuesday 3rd August

Lunchtime session : 3*2km with 2min recovery

53.41min/6.84mi/7.50av pace/147av hr

Rep 1 : 8.09min/154 av hr
    rep 2 : 8min/157 av hr
    Rep 3: 7.53min/156 sv Hr

confused with todays session , felt harder and was on a flatter surface than usual , but times are slower and hr lower , wonder could the hr strap have been loose.

Tuesday 3rd august

PM : Cycle with 2km*5 with 1min 30 reovery

50.23min/12.9mi/15.4 av pace

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/43112978

tough session , started raining when i went out and stopped bout a minute before i got back , couldnt see anything with wind and rain , glasses were totally fogged up , took a shorter safer route than usual as visiblity was so bad

No core work done either , only a bit of stretching

Wednesday 4th August

Am : 24km easy cycle ( didnt feel that easy , legs were heavy )

1hr/14.92mi

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/43112972

Lunch : Easy run

38.48min/4.63mi/8.23av pace/139 av HR

legs sluggish and heavy ,rest day morro , easy session friday and SOG sat

core work priority for this ev/morro/friday

• Advertisement

Thursday 5th August

Rest Day & Core Work & Stretching

Friday 6th August

Warmup/Strides/Warm Down

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/43791012

Saturday 7th August : 8 km Race

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/43791006

mile splits : 5.53/6.02/6.06/6.16/6.11 , av HR 172/Max 183

8km Race :Street of Galway : new pb 30.33 ( per chip time ) garmin shows 3 sec less , really pleased , started off too fast but havent really run a proper race since mini marathon so wasnt expecting my race strategy to be the best , was aiming for sub 31 , think i was bout 13th female in , was aiming for top 15.

Sunday : Long Cycle & Stretching and Core Work

Did Gael Force Cycle Route : Bout 30km

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/43791002

tough goin taking the bog road round the back of CP , really gravelly , bad road holding , weather was really nice and think i had the wind on my back most of the way , the decent on the way over from delph to liscarney was tough , had alot of twists and turns so didnt really go that hard , would be good to know the road there though to maximise speed on discent

Advertisement