Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Runners log : Patience and Consistency

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 477 ✭✭brutes1

Better gettin the rage out than in anyway:)...maybe you just need some physio/sports massage pre the race, lotta hard sessions and races can batter the body..especially coming off an injury..will make you feel brand new!..
    Forecast looking good for sunday too..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

brutes1 wrote: »
    Better gettin the rage out than in anyway:)...maybe you just need some physio/sports massage pre the race, lotta hard sessions and races can batter the body..especially coming off an injury..will make you feel brand new!..
    Forecast looking good for sunday too..

its feels like ages since the body has felt in good form , would like to look forward to the race Sunday , wind is really pissin me off lately too , itd blow the head off ya !
    how are ya fixed ?, id say your mad to go since Craughwell , you should put in a good performance .

Seres wrote: »
    its feels like ages since the body has felt in good form , would like to look forward to the race Sunday , wind is really pissin me off lately too , itd blow the head off ya !
    how are ya fixed ?, id say your mad to go since Craughwell , you should put in a good performance .

Its good resistance training, the Phoenix park is fairly sheltered course so hopefully wind wont be a factor...
    Yeh training goin well since craughwell, no excuses now really, just a genetic lack of speed may cause my downfall :D , this was my best race of last year, everything else was worse race on race after ! It shud be a good buzz of a day.. make sure ya get on the telly again, roscommon champion interview post race too..!

Its good resistance training, the Phoenix park is fairly sheltered course so hopefully wind wont be a factor...
    Yeh training goin well since craughwell, no excuses now really, just a genetic lack of speed may cause my downfall :D , this was my best race of last year, everything else was worse race on race after ! It shud be a good buzz of a day.. make sure ya get on the telly again, roscommon champion interview post race too..!
    ya have to get the mug on the telly for the kids , was like a big eejit waving into the camera last year .

Monday

Pilate : my back and hmastring was really tight yesterday , but the pilates did it wonders , lots of stretching and leg exercises , really the best remedy , hate to admit it but i think this is key
    Called the physio bout gettin an MRI , she doesnt think it will show up anything , she thinks i have a muscle imbalance !

Tuesday

8km with 4*1km &90sec rest : 4.00/3.54/3.50/3.50 : not too back , feel speed is comin back a bit .

wanted to do 3*1km and 2*800m but didnt know how to put it into the garmin . 1&3 were run with the wind and 2&4 were against , such a difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Called the physio bout gettin an MRI , she doesnt think it will show up anything , she thinks i have a muscle imbalance !

I'd go along with your physio. I mean I wouldnt have gotten my MRI(s)had my physio not said it to me in the first place. So if your physio isnt telling you to get one, then I'd trust her(unless shes a kid straight out of college).

• Advertisement

ya have to get the mug on the telly for the kids , was like a big eejit waving into the camera last year .

Monday

Pilate : my back and hmastring was really tight yesterday , but the pilates did it wonders , lots of stretching and leg exercises , really the best remedy , hate to admit it but i think this is key
    Called the physio bout gettin an MRI , she doesnt think it will show up anything , she thinks i have a muscle imbalance ! at least its not a brain imbalance like me:D

Tuesday

8km with 4*1km &90sec rest : 4.00/3.54/3.50/3.50 : not too back , feel speed is comin back a bit .

wanted to do 3*1km and 2*800m but didnt know how to put it into the garmin . 1&3 were run with the wind and 2&4 were against , such a difference

Thats good running seres , quick tempo next day or two and you will be set up nicely for a crack at 40 mins,
    the pilates seems to be doing the trick too

did track today myself 4by1km murderous wind in the home straight, blew up on the last one.
    Are you bring a busload of fans up for sunday;)

tunguska wrote: »
    I'd go along with your physio. I mean I wouldnt have gotten my MRI(s)had my physio not said it to me in the first place. So if your physio isnt telling you to get one, then I'd trust her(unless shes a kid straight out of college).

ya kinda of think that myself , shes a good physio , she keeps advocating the pilates and i swear to god i felt way better after the grueller of a session last night , how you , did you win the tri ?
    Thats good running seres , quick tempo next day or two and you will be set up nicely for a crack at 40 mins,
    the pilates seems to be doing the trick too

did track today myself 4by1km murderous wind in the home straight, blew up on the last one.
    Are you bring a busload of fans up for sunday;)

think im goin to take it handy enough till sunday , lots of limbering up every day will be priority no. one
    ya the windy is really pissin me off , regards a bus load, will be takin a train load up all the way from sligo , pickin up my fans on the way :cool:

how you , did you win the tri ?

Tuesday is Tri day. Although I have to confess, Im having some crazy thoughts in regards to sunday............

wednesday

rest : went to physio , she did a full nct on me and said everything seems to be in the right place and working correctly , she adviced against the MRI and said it was only a muscle imbalance , she adviced me on stretching before/after runs and walking at the end of the run so muscles dont tight up , i agreed to do it , but its not goin to happen , dont have time during my lunch time run , sometimes they just dont get that you cant cut down an already short run even more to stretch and walk , come on !, will do the stretching in the evening though

Thursday
    7.5km with 1.5mile tempo 10.13min/4.12km pace
    oh realised today that as well as the wind and rain dont like running in the heat either , maybe im just difficult !!

wednesday

Thursday
    7.5km with 1.5mile tempo 10.13min/4.12km pace
    oh realised today that as well as the wind and rain dont like running in the heat either , maybe im just difficult !!

Ya should be ok sunday cool and light winds forecast;)..if you dont mind that??!!
    wind down now I guess till race day ..
    we all have to pick new chips and numbers on sun too aai mess up oh well..did an eyeballs out tempo race pace run last night v tough only 5km tho..

• Advertisement

Ya should be ok sunday cool and light winds forecast;)..if you dont mind that??!!
    wind down now I guess till race day ..
    we all have to pick new chips and numbers on sun too aai mess up oh well..did an eyeballs out tempo race pace run last night v tough only 5km tho..
    thats a pain , they can fairly make a mess of of things somtimes , i find that you gotta follow up alot with them on stuff , although they are all really pleasant women to deal with
    Man you gotta keep those killer sessions for the playing field , think if i do a time equal to athenry ill be happy enough , the second half is goin ta be so deadly !

What was athenry 41? i reckon you have ability to hit 40 min or just under its a tough course but in a race like this it the level of competition and adrenalin etc will lead you to a quick time !

i ran pb last year in it though splits were all over the shop 16.55 and 17.35, and that was passing about 20 heads in the second half shows how tough it is

Ya they are very nice but its a bit messy with the GIR and AAI reckon it get mixed up easy, same last year.. dunno why they cant do online entry in AAI!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

On the stretching thing, if you are short on time before and after runs, I find it helps to stretch first thing in the morning as well as the evening.

Good luck Sunday.

What was athenry 41? i reckon you have ability to hit 40 min or just under its a tough course but in a race like this it the level of competition and adrenalin etc will lead you to a quick time !

i ran pb last year in it though splits were all over the shop 16.55 and 17.35, and that was passing about 20 heads in the second half shows how tough it is

Ya they are very nice but its a bit messy with the GIR and AAI reckon it get mixed up easy, same last year.. dunno why they cant do online entry in AAI!

i was all over the shop last year too , went out way to fast , legs were burning for the whole second part of the race

Ya they are a bit antiquated with the postal entries only

40.55 in athenry , so if i match that ill be ok , if its warm though , gods know what ill happen !
    dna_leri wrote: »
    On the stretching thing, if you are short on time before and after runs, I find it helps to stretch first thing in the morning as well as the evening.

Good luck Sunday.

Thanks , will give the stretching ago morro and sunday morn then, have at least an hour and a half in car on sunday morn so the stretchin will prob do me good , have tried it before in the morn and its very tough , all the joints and muscles are like coils !

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Hope you can make it to Ryan's again for a bit of post race refreshment before you drive home. Should be a few of us there. We can bitch about our woes. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭jb-ski

Good luck on Sunday S.

i won't be there to stalk you this year:), (heading to Conn).

Enjoy.

Hope you can make it to Ryan's again for a bit of post race refreshment before you drive home. Should be a few of us there. We can bitch about our woes. :D

ya will try to make it , might get sean and eoin go too
    jb-ski wrote: »
    Good luck on Sunday S.

i won't be there to stalk you this year:), (heading to Conn).

Enjoy.

best a luck to you too , wont have anyone to help me get a pb then !

friday

rest

sat

30min easy with 4*30sec & stretching : back and hamstring tight today , hoepfully will loosen up by morro

Sarah Nearly........40.39. Like it.

Sarah Nearly........40.39. Like it.
    I know , can you believe them ! but ya quite appropriate , have you analysed the hell out of the results yet , i have ! all and all the times were pretty bad compared to last year , most people down at least a minute ! anyway you will have another crack at it in a few weeks in the Mens Mini marathon :D no pansy running that day !

Today
    4.5miles @ easy : legs felt quite fresh , think i probably colud have pushed myself more yesterday but sure i'll make up for it in a couple of weeks
    Goin to start some proper trainin program , if im to give my 10k pb a rattle then thats what i need to do .

• Advertisement

Tuesday

4.5 miles : 42mins : have been told to do my recovery/easy runs very slow to allow for full recovery between quality sessions and races

Very excited today ! because i have decided to start a short program till the womens mini marathon in less than 8 weeks , this will be the first proper program since september , cant wait ! I ran 40.39 sunday at Nat 10k and prob could have pushed it a bit more , i figure with 6/7 good solid weeks training behind me i can give my 10km pb a good crack:pac: . There will be alot of focus on stretching and strenghtening to keep my on going problem at bay .

anyway you will have another crack at it in a few weeks in the Mens Mini marathon :D no pansy running that day !

Ahem, thats the mens 10k thank you.
    You have to go sub 39mins in June, hope you know that. Not promising anything but there could be some carrott cake in it for you.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭aero2k

You have to go sub 39mins in June, hope you know that. Not promising anything but there could be some carrott cake in it for you.......
    Carrot cake for sub-40, maybe, but I reckon sub 39 merits chocolate - lots of chocolate!:)

aero2k wrote: »
    Carrot cake for sub-40, maybe, but I reckon sub 39 merits chocolate - lots of chocolate!:)
    I agree , a bit of a low grade cake for such an occasion , he could of at least offered cheese cake !

Wednesday

Forced rest day :forgot runners , again , seem to be doin this alot lately , head seems to be a bit fuzzy these days

Thursday

8.5km /42mins : did bout 35mins of Fartlek , really like Farlek , there is no cut off points so no really pressure , ita kinda like a beginners introduction to speed sessions for middle/long distance runners , however i really enjoyed it , have loosened up nicely since the weekend and the back felt good . Weather was beautiful , could get the gorgeous smell of heather too , most relaxed session in a while ! hate goin back to work on days like today !

Friday

7km /39min : doin the easy runs really slow , no problems at all today yet , stretching & pilaes later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Wednesday

Forced rest day :forgot runners , again , seem to be doin this alot lately , head seems to be a bit fuzzy these days

Well done on the GIR result.

I missed a session due to forgetting runners and since then I keep my spare runners in the car, actually there are 3 or 4 pairs there now, but its better than cluttering up the house too.

dna_leri wrote: »
    Well done on the GIR result.

I missed a session due to forgetting runners and since then I keep my spare runners in the car, actually there are 3 or 4 pairs there now, but its better than cluttering up the house too.

Thanks , ah sure it wasnt great but im not too worried , lacked a bit motivation on the day , goin doin so proper stuff for the mini marathon , so cant wait for that , rearing to go !

Ya , was thinking of doin that myself , only have two pairs so just enough for car and house .

You doin lissadell at easter ? tough course , some mother of a climb up to the house eh ?!

Ya was gonna say that too bring a pair of runners to work and leave them there especially doing a lot of runs at lunch time ..!
    sub 39 would be well within you, reckon that GIR run is worth a minute faster on a flat course cooler day , and plus the intensive training program you are now underatking should knock off the rest..:)

Ya was gonna say that too bring a pair of runners to work and leave them there especially doing a lot of runs at lunch time ..!
    sub 39 would be well within you, reckon that GIR run is worth a minute faster on a flat course cooler day , and plus the intensive training program you are now underatking should knock off the rest..:)

thanks brutes , not sure if im up for sub 39 at momoent but will put the head down for the next 7 weeks and plan on giving my pb a good rattle
    put the runners in the boot tonight so no more excuses !
    how are you since the weekend ?

• Advertisement

deleted :posted twice

Advertisement