Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A Runners log : Patience and Consistency

167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

dna_leri wrote: »
    Hi Seres,

Hope you are in great shape for Sunday and can give it your best shot.
    Looking forward to your race report.
    Good luck!

Thanks If i run a smart race and dont leave anything out on the course ill be happy .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭bart simpson

best of look in your race at the weekend :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Good luck on Sunday. Might pop out to watch this. Enjoy.

Good luck on Sunday. Might pop out to watch this. Enjoy.

holler if you see me , it will be much appreciated :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Best of luck on Sunday Seres.
    I should have chased down the leading women more
    The negativities i brought to the race affected my confidence to push on
    On many an occasion i was goin to let the 4th lady take off even though i never really felt threatened by her ability to beat me in this race
    ^ Remember this ^ ?!

Best of luck on Sunday Seres.

^ Remember this ^ ?!

Thanks KC, will lock that in the memory to regurgitate when the bite comes on , im gonna go for it , will be tough as hell but sure ive nothing to lose !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Best of luck Seres. Where is the race on??

Best of luck Seres. Where is the race on??
    Thanks very much , on in the Curragh in Kildare , Army Camp

Seres wrote: »
    Thanks KC, will lock that in the memory to regurgitate when the bite comes on , im gonna go for it , will be tough as hell but sure ive nothing to lose !

start regurgitating before the bite comes and the bite might come later in the race :)

start regurgitating before the bite comes and the bite might come later in the race :)
    The bite is gonna come hard and fast and ill have to do alot of convincing myself not to give up .

25min easy with strides : bit of tightness in the ham but i tend to focus alot on these things coming up to a race
    Alot of senarios of what will happen have gone through my head . None of them will prob come up , so i will prepare my for the unexpected!

• Advertisement

Sunday 11 Dec 2011

National Novice XC Championships

I was hoping for a top ten finish here but when i saw the size of the field i knew that wasnt gonna happen . Race was 3km so i knew it was gonna be fast . Had planned to go out fairly hard to get a good position and see how i could work up the placing from there .Had arrived bout 1.15 , early enough in order to watch some of the races . Some of the kids are quality , they kill the field and its so hard to know by the physic which ones are good or not . I did a alot of jogging around and felt a bit nervous. Normally i do alot of spacing and the last 20minutes is a big rush to do warm up , stretch , change gear and get to the start . On this occasion i was surprising organised The Curragh is a very flat dry course ,Sunday started out cold wet and windy but by the time the race kicked off the conditions were perfect . I was in one of the outer pens cause i was entered as an individual . The race started bang on time with 2 1500m laps to do . The women went out like there was a bomb scare in the pens and i struggled with the pace . I was well down the field in the 40s bout half way through the first last . Could see a few people ahead of me that i didnt expect to see ahead of me at any stage . The first 800m was not nice then i started to get into a rhythm and started passing people .At 1500m i was 26th position . There was alot of work to do but a few people on the course were giving me my postion . At bout 800 out i had managed to pull back to 16th , caught the girl ahead but i knew the next group of women wouldnt be caught they were too far ahead and i had too little time and energy to do so . There was alot of people shouting encouragement to the girl that was behind me so i hit the floor bout 300m to go to make sure she wouldnt catch me . Finished in 15th in a field of 150 women . time of 12.07. I was wrecked at the end

Cons
    1. Maybe i started a bit slow , faster start might have got me a better position
    2. A recent race would have sharpened me up
    3. Think i used up a bit too much nervous energy before the start of the race
    4. I had no idea of the athletes taking part , could have helped in tailing people further up the field
    Pros
    1. 100% effort, felt my performance improved as the race went on , was wrecked at the end
    2. Was pleased with the second lap , pulled back the field very well
    3. Reassessed my targets to top 15 during the race which i managed to get
    4. Ran fairly consistent pace the whole way through
    5. I have gone from finishing an endurance training program of 21k in September to training for 3km for 2 months so i have to make an allowance for that
    6. I feel even more motivated now than ever for 2012 , can wait .
    I enjoyed the race , gonna take with me the positives of the race and will build on it for the Nat XC intermediate in Feb 2012 , excited bout this race already !!

Sunday 11 Dec 2011

National Novice XC Championships

I was hoping for a top ten finish here but when i saw the size of the field i knew that wasnt gonna happen . Race was 3km so i knew it was gonna be fast . Had planned to go out fairly hard to get a good position and see how i could work up the placing from there .Had arrived bout 1.15 , early enough in order to watch some of the races . Some of the kids are quality , they kill the field and its so hard to know by the physic which ones are good or not . I did a alot of jogging around and felt a bit nervous. Normally i do alot of spacing and the last 20minutes is a big rush to do warm up , stretch , change gear and get to the start . On this occasion i was surprising organised The Curragh is a very flat dry course ,Sunday started out cold wet and windy but by the time the race kicked off the conditions were perfect . I was in one of the outer pens cause i was entered as an individual . The race started bang on time with 2 1500m laps to do . The women went out like there was a bomb scare in the pens and i struggled with the pace . I was well down the field in the 40s bout half way through the first last . Could see a few people ahead of me that i didnt expect to see ahead of me at any stage . The first 800m was not nice then i started to get into a rhythm and started passing people .At 1500m i was 26th position . There was alot of work to do but a few people on the course were giving me my postion . At bout 800 out i had managed to pull back to 16th , caught the girl ahead but i knew the next group of women wouldnt be caught they were too far ahead and i had too little time and energy to do so . There was alot of people shouting encouragement to the girl that was behind me so i hit the floor bout 300m to go to make sure she wouldnt catch me . Finished in 15th in a field of 150 women . time of 12.07. I was wrecked at the end

Cons
    1. Maybe i started a bit slow , faster start might have got me a better position
    2. A recent race would have sharpened me up
    3. Think i used up a bit too much nervous energy before the start of the race
    4. I had no idea of the athletes taking part , could have helped in tailing people further up the field
    Pros
    1. 100% effort, felt my performance improved as the race went on , was wrecked at the end
    2. Was pleased with the second lap , pulled back the field very well
    3. Reassessed my targets to top 15 during the race which i managed to get
    4. Ran fairly consistent pace the whole way through
    5. I have gone from finishing an endurance training program of 21k in September to training for 3km for 2 months so i have to make an allowance for that
    6. I feel even more motivated now than ever for 2012 , can wait .
    I enjoyed the race , gonna take with me the positives of the race and will build on it for the Nat XC intermediate in Feb 2012 , excited bout this race already !!

well with "pros" like 1, 4 and 6 you would have to be happy :) well done seres

well with "pros" like 1, 4 and 6 you would have to be happy :) well done seres
    Thanks Bart , i am pretty pleased i gave it everything , the expectations were probably a bit high for the occasion but 10s faster would have got me sub12min and top ten so that will be the target the next time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Well done seres, that was great racing and thanks for another thrilling report. I watched the europeans at the weekened and they basically sprint from the trap for 200m flat out to establish position. Fair play to you for pulling back so many in the second lap, that took guts. A faster start might get you up there for the fight next time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Fair play Seres. Cracking stuff and great experience too by the sounds of it. Well done :cool:

Well done seres, that was great racing and thanks for another thrilling report. I watched the europeans at the weekened and they basically sprint from the trap for 200m flat out to establish position. Fair play to you for pulling back so many in the second lap, that took guts. A faster start might get you up there for the fight next time
    thanks ya gonna work on the start , am a bit of a slow starter in races which leaves alot of ground work to do then. It was bedlam at the start , im not really into elbowing and jostling to get a position but i confess to using the elbow as weaponary on this occasion .

Today

35min easy : Bitter cold with a savage wind ,togged out in all the winter gear for the first time this season , glutes feel sore from the race , legs felt grand , no heaviness

wednesday 14th

Garmin wasnt charged so i didnt bother doing the session : what a lame excuse but its the week after an A goal race so .... although i had to do alot of convincing myself that i shouldnt feel guilty

Thursday 15th Dec

5*400 @ 88 sec , 90sec rest

89/90/80/90 : garmin memory read full half way thru session so had to reset as a result one rep was not recorded on the garmin (i ended up doin 580m , kept waiting for the watch to beep)

Very pathetic weekd training developing here

Glutes are sore since race day , surprisingly Hammer is fine ?!

As usual i have a list as long as my arm of new year resolutions two of which are (in order of priority) sort out injury once and for all and drop 2kg ( not that im overweight at all but this will improve speed )

Friday 16th/Sat 17th

No Training : Could have run if i really wanted to be decided an easy week was okay

Sunday 18th Dec

5km race : Sligo

Had planned to tackle my pb of 18.40 but a small field and a strong headwind at times didnt help
    Roads were terrible and against the will of the family i went anyway!!
    Very casual set up to the race but nice festive atmosphere all the same .
    Started off ahead of everyone , pulled back and waited for a few to catch on . A Group of 5 lads took off , i let them go , one broke away and it was a group of 4 ahead . From the outset i was running alone , first 2.5km was chasing down the group. Caught two that had slowed up passed them but i could catch the two battling up ahead . Came in with plenty of fuel in the engine @ 19.14 , 1st lady , 4th person . Enjoyable race , not too tough although would have been nice to be running with someone or a group .

Next week or two i just plan to run as i please , lots of nice easy runs to keep the head clear over xmas . I could take time off completely but i need to run !

Monday

No Running

Tuesday

40min steady : very mild , lovely lunchtime run .

Friday 16th/Sat 17th

No Training : Could have run if i really wanted to be decided an easy week was okay

Sunday 18th Dec

5km race : Sligo

Had planned to tackle my pb of 18.40 but a small field and a strong headwind at times didnt help
    Roads were terrible and against the will of the family i went anyway!!
    Very casual set up to the race but nice festive atmosphere all the same .
    Started off ahead of everyone , pulled back and waited for a few to catch on . A Group of 5 lads took off , i let them go , one broke away and it was a group of 4 ahead . From the outset i was running alone , first 2.5km was chasing down the group. Caught two that had slowed up passed them but i could catch the two battling up ahead . Came in with plenty of fuel in the engine @ 19.14 , 1st lady , 4th person . Enjoyable race , not too tough although would have been nice to be running with someone or a group .

Next week or two i just plan to run as i please , lots of nice easy runs to keep the head clear over xmas . I could take time off completely but i need to run !

Monday

No Running

Tuesday

40min steady : very mild , lovely lunchtime run .

fair play on finishing first, must be a great feeling to be first in a race

• Advertisement

fair play on finishing first, must be a great feeling to be first in a race
    First race i won was the best . Also nice to win a race but i would have a fair idea how i will get by the field of runners before the race starts . Honestly speaking i get great satisfaction out of nailing a really good challenging performance on the back of a hard training program

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Well done on sunday, sorry I missed the race. Hope you got some mince pies after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Well done Seres. Two cracking results. I predict 2012 is going to be a great year for ya, if you can steer clear of injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Well done Seres, must be great the win in a savage time as well, fair play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Nice win Seres! Congrats. Bodes well for FoA! :cool:

Thanks for support , not feeling very confident bout the progress ive made since xmas , manly due to the on going problems i have with my injury . Seems to be affecting my confidence .

• Advertisement

Wednesday

38min38sec/6.42km

Planned : 400*8 @ 93-95 sec , 90 rest : race pace for monday if i get to go to FoA! My aim for the xmas

So use to running these faster now found it hard to harness myself

1.31/1.24/1.25/1.25/1.27/1.26/1.29/1.29

thursday 22th Dec

38min easy

glutes and hammer are bothering me alot lately so i have decided to take the royally stupid approach of ignoring the problems and running faster . :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Running too fast in training can be a sign that you are ready for a break-through race.

Keep it easy and give it hell in the FOA.

Advertisement