Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Runners log : Patience and Consistency

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

brutes1 wrote: »
    Bloody hell i feel like i am not training reading these sessions your putting the hard yards in good on ya. Are you running the streets? I am in for it, hopefully survive race week mayhem :D , starts now , town is mental, Aiming for sub 27 me so going fairly well
    thanks , stickin to the program anyway, thats what im focused on . Ya im doin the streets , thats the next race , looking forward to it , hopefully will give the 30.33 pb a rattle , how is your training goin ?

Saturday

Progression Long : planned 85min with 15min progression but it worked out a little differerent

1hr36min: 11.57mles with kms 15-18 at increased pace , had planned below 4.15 pace but worked out as follow : 4.17/4.14/4.10/4.06
    enjoyable session ; really like this route and always look forward to doing it

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/101829000

Monday

[EMAIL="1500m*5@4min/km"]1500m*5@4min/km[/EMAIL] pace , 3min rest

all below the 4min/km but i think most of them were mainly flat or slightly down hill cause they didnt really test me except for the 4th reps which had a slight incline most of the way and was tough
    Location was diiferent to where i normally do my reps which can go either way , usual spot is better i think

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/101826713

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 477 ✭✭brutes1

going ok i think have brought in 3 sessions a week over summer.more speed five k races etc. mileage at 62-70 so down somewhat but running quicker overall, seem to be able to run sub 17 5ks now no bother so try and bring it along to the longer stuff .
    you will be there or thereabouts i reckon, top 10 women ? any races lately?

going ok i think have brought in 3 sessions a week over summer.more speed five k races etc. mileage at 62-70 so down somewhat but running quicker overall, seem to be able to run sub 17 5ks now no bother so try and bring it along to the longer stuff .
    you will be there or thereabouts i reckon, top 10 women ? any races lately?
    thats somew heavy mileage your doin there , sub 17 is good goin for the 5ks , is the body holding out ok ? you doin any races between now and the streets ?
    Ah sure i give the race my best shot , goin a be tough to pb because i was on the limits last year for the race and i was very fit too so who knows until the day , will try and start @ 6min/mil pace .
    Any hotshots that you know of takin part ? inside scoops ?!

well the third place woman from last yr is in, plus the womans course record holder, among the favorites figure that out! ..good field in of top local girls plus a few dubs hopefully to make a good race..

Yeah its actually not big miles for me , but more intense , ran 5k road last week in 1650 pb so on right track, did headford, so nothing till streets, 3 sessions a week plus 2 hr run plus 10 mile in 65, plus easy ones , dublin mara the long term plan..no injuries touch wood ..

Had a long proper post written just there and lost the whole thing .......

So this is the shortened version

Wednesday

Tempo : 3*20min @ 4.15 pace , 2min rest

T1 : http://connect.garmin.com/activity/102387639 6.45/4.15 av pace
    T2 http://connect.garmin.com/activity/102387648 6.47/4.15 ac pace
    T3 http://connect.garmin.com/activity/102387665 6.45/4.13 av pace

Really tough day out , alot of stuff didnt go to plan , watch/weather/glasses/motivation ... , could feel the stress coming on with all the problems arising but decided there was gonna be no gain in gettin pissed off so i chilled out and made the best of it .Reps two and three i had no idea of my pace as the bezel was goin mental , so i justed decided to ignore it and focus on keepin a good pace , i knew the watch was recording but just not displaying so that was enough to keep me goin
    Session went well overall , achieved the targets so im happy out for another day
    Was totally wrecked after , appetite was gone for the evening (which never happens ) and my body felt totally depleted
    Im now startin to feel the effects of the training so i just got to mind myself if i want to make the start line of the HM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Hi Seres,

Another good tough session, seems you are doing a lot of similar stuff to me right now. I am also trying to push my endurance up for a longer race (warriors) - I assume that's what your are doing for the HM?

I am planning an easy week in the run-up to a 10K race next weekend, if you are feeling fatigued you might want to ease back a bit before the SoG?

dna_leri wrote: »
    Hi Seres,

Another good tough session, seems you are doing a lot of similar stuff to me right now. I am also trying to push my endurance up for a longer race (warriors) - I assume that's what your are doing for the HM?

I am planning an easy week in the run-up to a 10K race next weekend, if you are feeling fatigued you might want to ease back a bit before the SoG?

Ya thats the plan , thanks , will prob have an easy week next weeks , i doin 4 weeks blocks with every tenth day i have a really tough session and then i ease off a bit for a week . Most of the stuff is easy or comfortably hard just the odd tough one which seems to be suiting me fine , however i went for a sports massage yesterday and my muscles were totally coiled up so next week will be welcomed
    When is the warrior on ? you doin alot of hill work at the moment ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Seres wrote: »
    Ya thats the plan , thanks , will prob have an easy week next weeks , i doin 4 weeks blocks with every tenth day i have a really tough session and then i ease off a bit for a week . Most of the stuff is easy or comfortably hard just the odd tough one which seems to be suiting me fine , however i went for a sports massage yesterday and my muscles were totally coiled up so next week will be welcomed
    When is the warrior on ? you doin alot of hill work at the moment ?

4 weeks to go... tick, tick, tick.
    Hills? I'm dreaming of them at this stage - my legs are in bits from them, especially calves.
    I could probably do with a good sports massage too, any recommendations?

dna_leri wrote: »
    4 weeks to go... tick, tick, tick.
    Hills? I'm dreaming of them at this stage - my legs are in bits from them, especially calves.
    I could probably do with a good sports massage too, any recommendations?

I'll PM you the guy i go to

Sunday

17km/1hr35 : very slow long run , back is acting up at the source of the old problem and my good side is causing me problems to , very tight , will go to physio and see , hope she doesnt tell me to pull back cause i wont be able to commit to that

Monday

easy 40min : still back feelin tight

Tuesday

Planned: 2km*5 @ 8min , 3 min recovery /13.24km/8.28mi

This is one of the really tough sessions i have every ten days , i was advised to pull back if they were feelin really tough cause of race sat , was worried bout the recent problems so was sure it was gonna be a certainity but the legs despite the tightness felt very strong and fresh so the session didnt go too bad . I think the legs felt light because i did my long run sunday and easy run yesterday really slow .

Rep 1 ; 3.58pace/7.55min
    Rep 2 ; 3.56pace/7.53
    Rep 3 : 3.56pace/7.52
    Rep 4 : 3.59pace/7.58
    Rep 5 : 4minpace/8min

seem to be havin problems also uploading this workout to garmin connect

was trying to concentrate on my form so i think this was a source of distraction
    Think the problem with the right leg is im twisting my foot out before i hit the ground , think i started to do this to take pressure off the back problem on my left , left calf is tightening up too ! Not too sure bout the race sat , will see how i feel
    I have an easy week this week training wise so if i can cash in on the rest to blast ahead with the program next week so be it , i'll willingly forfeit the race sat on these grounds
    Did loads of stretching last night and this morn
    Goin to see physio today so i will have a better idea of the situation after

• Advertisement

Thursday

easy 30min : was suppose to do yesterday and rest today but i switched
    tightness has improved a little in the calf and the hamstring on the left but took it really slow
    Physio didnt really offer as much insight as i had hoped , told me te stretch quads and hams alot , warm baths , massage , jog the race and cut down a bit on speed work for the moment . i will decided on the race morro , but it looking doubtful but if i do it i will race it , will cut out speed till next tuesday . Have a big session this day week so if the race looks like it will jepoardise it i will leave it .

Friday 5th -Sunday 7th

Easy runs , 30mins & rest

Monday 8th

decided to do the 1500m scheduled session for morro

Plan : 5*1500m @ 4min/km pace with 3min rest

54.38min/10.7km

rep 1 :5.59/4min/km
    rep 2 :5.54/3.56min/km
    rep3 :5.57/3.58min/km
    rep 4 :5.57/3.58min/km
    rep5 :5.58/3.59min/km

tried to stretch the tight hamstring between reps which helped . Bit strange really , one leg get tights during the session and then will ease after and the other leg feels find durin the reps and tightens after . Session went okay, every second rep was easier cause of the wind , could have been more relaxed though , will do some maintenace work tonight for thursdays big session

tuesday

easy 45min : took fairly slow as i have a tough one morro

Wednesday

Tempo : 3*20min @ 4.15min/km , 2min rest

Tough session :

Rep 1 : av pace 4.11min/km : 4.10/4.10/4.13/4.11/4.09 pace per Kms
    Rep 2 : av pace 4.16min/km :4.16/4.09/4.20/4.15/4.23 ( pace was definitely off here cause of the trees , affecting the satellite
    Rep 3 : av pace 4.16min/km :4.36/4.08/4.10/4.17/4.10 : spent moat of the rep trying to recoupe the bad first km , heavy opened for this rep so it was difficult to see thru my glasses and the watch

Happy enough with th session due to recent niggles , was wiped after though as of last week , did alot of maintenance on the body re stretching /warm bath with some epsom salts /bed early too

you are a tough one alright thats a monster session, jerry kiernan would be proud, well done very good running, you will be able for anything after that , is the ten mile the plan ya> ?

running in rain with glasses is a pain pain in the ass, happened me sat in the streets, am blind man without, slows ya down and then when u put back on when running at speed they are lopsided:)

you are a tough one alright thats a monster session, jerry kiernan would be proud, well done very good running, you will be able for anything after that , is the ten mile the plan ya> ?

running in rain with glasses is a pain pain in the ass, happened me sat in the streets, am blind man without, slows ya down and then when u put back on when running at speed they are lopsided:)
    thanks , went well alright , felt the eftects the following day , just got to keep on top of the niggles with lots of maint work and sleep and ill be sound
    Ya will do the 10miler next week, huge overlap with the half and i havent done a race in ages , will prob double up as a tempo 60min @ 4.15km/pace , as this would be so hard to do on my own
    Are you doin the 10 ? whats the target ? should be good , huge field
    Ya the wet weather can make the speeds sessions very tricky :) , the glasses are a bit rattled as well which doesnt help

Thursday & Friday

easy 40mins ; very slow to allow the body to recover after the tempo , Hams and calf had tightened up quite a bit
    Stretching : Static & Dynamic

Sat

long Run : 1hr 40min /18km

Started this very slow for the first 4/5km and picked it up a bit after that .
    Warm bath with salts & 1hr stretching left me feelin good on sunday

Sunday

Rest

Monday

1500m*5 @4.15 pace /3mins rest :9.86km
    rep 1 : 5.57/3.58/km
    rep 2 : 5.58/3.59/km
    rep 3 : 5.52/3.54/km
    rep 4: 5.56/3.57/km
    rep 5 :5.52/3.55/km

Session went fine , not too tough ,all the body parts felt good for the session : hamstring has tightened up since so stretching tonight along with other maint work

The plan forward will be keep recovery days very slow and blast out the quality sessions (tempo/interval/progression) with stretching and lots of maint work , especially on the tough days . Will try for massage every 10days-2 weeks

Tuesday

50mins easy : didnt go quite as slow as of late as the ham and back didnt tighten up till then end

have been doin a little stunt with a sliotar in the evenings , shown to me by Tunguska , and this seems to really help loosen up the tightness in the hamstring , this might be helping along with the other work to keep the body ticking over

Wednesday

50min easy

No stretching etc done yesterday but feel fine today , will stretch out later . Have no target time set for 10mi sat , will start out @4.15 pace and if feel good at 6/7mil will up the pace a bit and see how i go

thursday

rest + stretching + massage : murderous session getting the massage , could have chopped veg on the left side of my back it was so hard , hoping this was gonna help for Frank Duffy 10mi , which isnt goin to happen now , up all night with the little one and she is no better today so no cover no race . Second race missed on run up to half marathon target race so looks like i will be goin into the half not having done a race since the start of June !
    Ah well anyway the rest of the weeks plan is now to do a 60min tempo sat on my oddy knocky @4.15 pace , not looking forward to this , will be torture

• Advertisement

Thursday to Sunday took a serious nose dive : two missed opportunities at a 10mi with the Frank Duffy 10 on sat and slane 10 on sunday . Sickness swept thru the house from thursday night bout 3am exiting yesterday via the linchpin (myself). Several attempts were made to salvage a 60min tempo or a 10mi race but with no avail .
    Anyway new week , the system has been purged and i have less than 5 weeks to goal race .

Monday

40min easy & dry needling and massage : hurt like hell today , whole body aching after the body bashing , at one stage i thought i was gonna be leaving with a headache and a toothache as well ! every tight muscle was gunned down . Anyway im hoping i will reap the benefits this week.

Tuesday

1800m*5 @ 4.00min pace , 3 min recovery

http://connect.garmin.com/splits/108910713

All on or under target , legs felt fresh and rested , session went well . Have decided to start the reps a bit slower and finish strong , i have a tendency to start to fast , slow up in the middle and just try and hang on for the target time . I will be focusing on holding back early in the rep and finishing strong from now on cause that will be part of the race plan come the 17th Sep .Also paid less attention to the pace and went with how i feel , im a slave to the pace cause i run on my own all the time

Wednesday

55min /9.3km : very slow , tough a$$ session morro

feel a bit tired today , sickness still reins in the house , revealing itself at 3am this morning , everywhere ! A wiser approach is needed tonight

Thursday

25min*3 @ 4.15 pace , 2min rest interval

Toughest session yet , as predicted , didnt keep the av pace for any expect one

12.22 miles : T2 6.51/4.17 , T2 6.46/4.14 , T3 6.57/4.21

First rep was sound

Second one , half way thru i realised i didnt know where the keys of the car were due to a pit stop , panic set in so one km was well off target , which threw the average pace off , other than that the rep went ok

Third one : was struggling from the outset , tried to relax and not fight it , before half way thru though i decided to reassess , jogged for a minute and then increased the pace to hit the targets for the final kms There was only one really bad km here too

Never happened me before where ive consciously pulled back during the session but i really felt it was needed here in order to hit the pace for some of the final kms otherwise i wolud have just totally bombed

Not gonna be too hard on my self bout this session as i know i gave it as much as i had , body was in bits after

Will post link later

50min easy/5.6miles : body very stiff after yesterdays session , easy rub got the blood flowing , hr long session of stretching tonight for long run morro . Back stretching seems to be helping ,was anxious to see how yesterdays session would be on it , but back stretching last night plus warm bath means its behaving :)

Sat

Rest : Meant for sunday but if i dont do it in the morning the day runs ( no pun intended ) away on me

Sunday

11.15mi/1hr 40min : Very slow meant the hamstring and the back didnt tighten up , wanted to keep the legs fresh for a big session tuesday

Monday

40min/6.83km easy & sports massage and dry needling , lots of Lactic Acid build up on right side released

Tuesday

Big Session : 5*2.2km @ 4km pace , 3 min rest /14.44km

Body felt great coming into it , legs felt light and was mentally prep'ed

Rep 1 : 8.46/3.59min/km

Rep 2 : 8.48/4min/km

Rep 3 : 8.42/3.57min/km

Rep 4 : 8.51/4.01min/km

Rep 5 8.43/3.58min/km

Decided to run 1.4km of each rep before checking pace( i can get very obsessed with pace ) , going by how i felt and then do whatever to get av pace at 4min/km for the last 800m
    Worked really well except for rep 4 cause i left it to 300m to go to check the pace , which was 4.02 and there was an uphill to get thru at that stage
    Very Tough session but just took it rep for rep
    Body held out very well , little or no tightening of hamstring and back during however has tightened up since so stretching and the usual procedure tonight

Have about 4 more tough sessions before the wind down so just need to hang on in there , really dying for a race at this stage !!

Thursday : 20km with 3*25min @4.15 pace , 2min rest

T1 : http://connect.garmin.com/activity/111121527 : took a bit easier cause i knew two more were to come @6.50 pace shows 4.15 on watch

T2 : http://connect.garmin.com/activity/111121535 : got very hard after the 3rd km , was running against a strong wind and really found it tough @6.49 pace , shows 4.15 on watch

T3 : http://connect.garmin.com/activity/111121544 : was whacked goin into this one so said i would take a break if needs be in middle than i decided to do just 5km but after four km knew pace was gone in legs , stopped for 10/15 sec and said id do another km , ended up finishing it out then

These sessions never really get easier mentally , however my body is def adapting , didnt take as much out of me in term of my body breaking down during the session , held form better , however laid off eating for hours after but my body did adjust itself by nightfall . Last week i couldnt do anything after the session , this week i was pretty fecked but not as bad . Additional can never sleep well after these session

Later : stretching & warm bath with epsom salts

Friday

50 easy : legs were a bit tight and tired from the mammoth session thursday , tightness in hamstring and glutes , however did feel better by the end , did help to flush some of the LT out

Saturday

Long Run ; 1hr45min/19.28km/5.27av pace

Early start , 7.30 am , only time i could get the run in . I knew Sunday would be a write off because of an occasion later on sat/sat nite . My legs felt very strong and did the last km @ 4.15 pace which felt fine too , could feel the positive effects of the recent hard training on sat and the negative effects of alcohol abuse on the sunday . Havent had a heavy boozing session in about a year and if its as long or longer the next time that will suit me fine too , 2/3 drinks is plenty for me !

Last week of heavy training , thursdays session of 60min tempo @4.15 pace will be the cruncher ,have start mentally preparing myself for it now .

Body feels really good , feel strong and keeping good control on the niggles . Only discomfort i have about preparation for the Half Marathon is that i havent raced since early June !
    So i dont REALLY know how my target time fits , cant work off historic races either because its my first HM

Will have dry needling and sports massage tonight to keep the body behaving as is needed

Sunday

Rest and Recovery

MOnday

60min easy/9.66km : Very slow , body feels great , never been so good despite the abuse it got at the weekend , think i need to disregard the message that it been sent to my head right now !

Sunday

Rest and Recovery

MOnday

60min easy/9.66km : Very slow , body feels great , never been so good despite the abuse it got at the weekend , think i need to disregard the message that is been sent to my head right now !

• Advertisement

Tuesday 6th Sep

1800*5 @4min pace , 3min rest /12.82km/1hr6min

Rep 1 : 7.07/3.58min/km
    Rep 2 :7.06/3.57min/km
    Rep 3 : 7.08/3.58min/km
    rep 4 :7.10/3.59imn/km
    Rep 5 : 7.08/3.58min/km

Had a very busy day yesterday so no lunchtime reps and by evening i felt i hadnt mentally prepared myself for the session . Normally i start thinkin bout the session if it an important one a few hours before i have to do it , like telling myself its gonna be tough so be prepared !
    I knew wind was gonna be a major factor , every second one was gonna be hard i figured .
    The format for these of late seems to be watch the pace for the first rep then subsequent reps go by feel up till bout 2/3 and then look at watch and maintain or pick up pace as needs be . This is really important for me to do this cause i will be running with other at the HM , which im not used to doing and i need to know what feels comfortable to my body and not be obsessing over the pace. I know that a pace that seems difficult in training might be fairly comfortable in a race enviroment , so the body is the best indicator .
    The legs felt really good and strong throughout and i didnt have any problems picking up the pace towards the end when i needed
    I had no tightness at all during the session however after it tightened up a bit so stretched it out later along with other maint work
    I held back a bit for the session cause ill need all the gas i have for thursdays 60min @ 4.15 pace

Advertisement