Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Runners log : Patience and Consistency

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 477 ✭✭brutes1

Solid session seres, you are doing some monster intervals, that is good going, it will stand to you later on in half mara. Are ya following a plan or coach? Those sessions would be more like marathon training ones :D..
    Are you doing any half marathon pace runs , might be no harm- did a couple pre the half mara in the ironman, 5/6 miles at pace just to get comfortable..

You're right though about the mental aspect of training and hard runs , it takes mental prepration and steeling yourself for pain ...got one later on at marathon pace and it was the first thing i thought of when i woke up, oh sh'.t what lies ahead of me today!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

brutes1 wrote: »
    Solid session seres, you are doing some monster intervals, that is good going, it will stand to you later on in half mara. Are ya following a plan or coach? Those sessions would be more like marathon training ones :D../!!

Im not following a plan as such , the plan had been drawn up for me specifically in mind based on what i have considered are my strenghts and weakness . I do the sessions by myself and if i have problems i try and sort them out myself and/or talk to one or two people i know who i consider know significantly more than me about running . Thats about the height of it really
    Are you doing any half marathon pace runs , might be no harm- did a couple pre the half mara in the ironman, 5/6 miles at pace just to get comfortable..../!!

Im doin alot of HM pace runs which im hoping will be my saving grace for the race . I consider them the key/hardest session of the week.

You're right though about the mental aspect of training and hard runs , it takes mental prepration and steeling yourself for pain ...got one later on at marathon pace and it was the first thing i thought of when i woke up, oh sh'.t what lies ahead of me today!!

same as that , have a tough one today and i know i wont relax till i have it finished. I will probably be totally noodled for the rest of the evening after it ! No pain no gain eh !

Wednesday

40min easy : after work , rain and wind , hard to believe its early sep , would have done this earlier but thought i had forgot the runners only to discover them later under the office desk

Gettin to the stage now that im thinking bout how the weather conditions could be like for the day

Thursday

60min @ 4.15 was planned

60min @ 4.13 was achieved : http://connect.garmin.com/activity/112824681

Last big session for me before the race so i was anxious to get it right . Skipped off a bit early from work. Had the route decided , was an out and back which i had covered for last weeks tempo too. Had a feeling it wouldnt be as bad because it was 15min shy on last weeks session of 25*3 .Did the harder section first from bout 3km to 7km , wind was against me so the splits were slower compared to later kms , was also holding back a bit because i wasnt gonna get any break in session . Legs felt strong and form felt controlled for the most part of the session .
    Last continuous tempo was 45min a couple of weeks ago and i could feel much stronger yesterday . The session didnt take half as much out of me in the aftermath either so the body is adapting nicely .
    Was important that i could manage this session to confidence build for the race . I know now that i can do over 2/3 of the distance on my own at the required pace .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Seres wrote: »
    60min @ 4.13 was achieved
    Nice one Seres. Seems like your sub 90 target could be a little soft. If you stick with the sub-90 pace, you should be able to up the pace and finish very strongly. Great training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

good training there seres. hope race goes good for ya.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Good stuff Seres, you have earned a good race.
    Get it right on the day and you'll blast 90 mins -are you thinking about 1:25 ?

Nice one Seres. Seems like your sub 90 target could be a little soft. If you stick with the sub-90 pace, you should be able to up the pace and finish very strongly. Great training.

thanks ya thats sort of the plan all going well
    dna_leri wrote: »
    Good stuff Seres, you have earned a good race.
    Get it right on the day and you'll blast 90 mins -are you thinking about 1:25 ?
    jesus no , i havent near the work done for that time sub 90 , im happy anything else is a bonus , pretty sketchy on where im at in terms of racing cause its been so long but too be honest im just happy to make the start line injury free , this time last year i was suffering an injury and had to drop out of this race which was my goal race at the time

Friday

30 easy

Saturday

90min easy

Sunday

Rest

Monday

35min easy : stuck to the main road , canal road looked too menacing , is a hot spot for fallen trees in stormy weather , nice fresh energtic day for a run , cleared the head well for the afternoon stint at the office :)

Tuesday : 5*1km , 3 min rest interval

8.97km/4.35min

R1 : 4.07
    R2 :4.06
    R3 : 3.58
    R4 :3.58
    R5 :3.57

Weather still very crazy so hard to determine correct pace between strong gusts of wind . Last one : got caughth in a torrential shower , hadnt a clue what i was at ! , forgot to lock bezel so it was goin mental and couldnt see two centimetres in front of me with the state of my glasses

Weather still very crazy so hard to determine correct pace between strong gusts of wind . Last one : got catch in a torrential shower , hadnt a clue what i was at ! , forgot to lock bezel so it was goin mental and couldnt see two centimetres in front of me with the state of my glasses..

Very funny ha its SO annoyin runnin with specs only the wearer of them knows.
    :)..Your in top shape now for Saturday I think they are bloody good sessions you are doing. Are you on the wind down after today. Hope the forecast is good.

Is there a hurricane still blowin up there, not as bad as was forecast here, long run sunday in pissn rain, had to walk last mile at the end total burnout but recovering now:D

• Advertisement

Very funny ha its SO annoyin runnin with specs only the wearer of them knows.
    :)..Your in top shape now for Saturday I think they are bloody good sessions you are doing. Are you on the wind down after today. Hope the forecast is good.

Is there a hurricane still blowin up there, not as bad as was forecast here, long run sunday in pissn rain, had to walk last mile at the end total burnout but recovering now:D
    ya that was the last bit of speed before race day , just easy runs now and a few strides . Very gusty alright still , think its suppose to be pretty windy on sat but if it cools off a bit that'll have to do , weather never seems to be half as aggressive in dublin anyway not like the 'wild west'
    How long was the Long run sunday ?

ya that was the last bit of speed before race day , just easy runs now and a few strides . Very gusty alright still , think its suppose to be pretty windy on sat but if it cools off a bit that'll have to do , weather never seems to be half as aggressive in dublin anyway not like the 'wild west'
    How long was the Long run sunday ?

Yeah way less rain in Dub, plus some shelter in the park from trees and a good field to tow you along all bodes well
    Long run was down for 20, was strugglin at 12 mile and out on my feet at 17 doin nine min miles, could not run another step, called it a day, body a wreck, very frustrating:mad:,had never happened b4 hopefully back into it this evening easy, after couple of days sleep catch up!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I hate to break it to yee but I was running in the park tonight. Was not fun! :D

I hate to break it to yee but I was running in the park tonight. Was not fun! :D

thanks RQ , suppose its good to know anyway , to be prepared . I was told before that it never gets too windy in the park, that its quite sheltered ?!

Wed : 35min easy : got needling done this morning , not as sore cause not with the regular guy i go too . legs felt pretty good on run , will stretch tonight

Have no real plan/target race after the Half so will have to start thinking of this as i will lose the motivation after sat if i dont set a goal

thanks RQ , suppose its good to know anyway , to be prepared . I was told before that it never gets too windy in the park, that its quite sheltered ?!

Wed : 35min easy : got needling done this morning , not as sore cause not with the regular guy i go too . legs felt pretty good on run , will stretch tonight

Have no real plan/target race after the Half so will have to start thinking of this as i will lose the motivation after sat if i dont set a goal
    This is the race start/finish area. Not very sheltered as you can see! But the wind is definitely easing off today. There will be loads of people to use as shelters from the wind anyway, in particular the two fat burly pacers. :)

This is the race start/finish area. Not very sheltered as you can see! But the wind is definitely easing off today. There will be loads of people to use as shelters from the wind anyway, in particular the two fat burly pacers. :)
    Hey Krusty , dont know the race course at all , can you offer any insights/garmin link ?

http://dublinmarathon.ie/map+instructions11_halfmara.pdf

Ran this well ten miles of it in the frank duffy 10 . its a good course, miles one to three flat/downhill at end of this section, mile four includes some testing ups and downs - reverse of national ten k section. The turn and run up chesterfield avenue was Terrible in the ten, windy and had to run along path and poor surface, - was only mile over 6 mins I ran v slow. Miles then up to 9 mile marker are specific to half, from memory not a great surface but flat around by zoo etc.
    Then your on to lap two,. BEware there is a boll...x of a hill at 13 mile short sharp and will knock the legs out of ya, long run in to finish and thats it. :D
    Ten mile was very good conditions, so am not sure about where the wind will blow on saturday!

thanks for that , ya not really ideal the wind thing but sure hey will just have to factor it into the race plan .
    Bed early tonight cause will be rough early start on sat , six bells i plan to start burning rubber . Really looking forward to this race now , body feels pretty good and im reasonably fit !

brutes1 nailed it. The hill at the end isn't too bad though. It's short and sharp. Based on the current weather forecast, the two stretches into the wind will be Chesterfield avenue (again) and the north Road (which will likely be sheltered). But there will be lots of runners aiming for sub 90 mins, so lots of shelter, and each of these 'into the wind' sections will be immediately followed by a tail-wind section. The forecast is for 8m/s WSW, which could be a lot worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

i plan to start burning rubber . Really looking forward to this race now , body feels pretty good and im reasonably fit !

Good on ya, nail it girl

• Advertisement

You have earned a good race, go out and enjoy it !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Best of luck speedy girl!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Best of Luck tomorrow, you'll smash 1'30 no bother.

Drinks in ryans afterwards if you're interested.:D

menoscemo wrote: »
    Best of Luck tomorrow, you'll smash 1'30 no bother.

Drinks in ryans afterwards if you're interested.:D

Thanks for the offer Niall ,will see how it goes , hope your right bout smashing 90min

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭jb-ski

good luck tomorrow S.

I've no doubt you'll achieve your target time with the training you've put in.

you'll be in good company anyway for 89 minutes with KC (& PK clubmate of mine).

unfortunately I'm working tomorrow, but i'll (& bike:) be there in spirit to cheer you on.

J

jb-ski wrote: »
    good luck tomorrow S.

I've no doubt you'll achieve your target time with the training you've put in.

you'll be in good company anyway for 89 minutes with KC (& PK clubmate of mine).

unfortunately I'm working tomorrow, but i'll (& bike:) be there in spirit to cheer you on.

J

Thanks , no worries , you served as a good pacer for me in the past in the park .

Top ten finish Seres, impressive !

Well inside target time too, nice one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Great running today. Gave you a shout at the finish but you were too busy looking at the clock! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭Patrick_K

Great running today Seres and nice to run some of the way with you.
    I was sure a 'chicking' was on the cards when you drew back up along side me on the final hill, great strength in the last few miles.
    Well done on your prize!
    PK

• Advertisement

dna_leri wrote: »
    Top ten finish Seres, impressive !

Well inside target time too, nice one.

Well it was 14th female , but thanks , good day out , prob could have pushed myself a bit more but i wanted to relax and enjoy it
    Great running today. Gave you a shout at the finish but you were too busy looking at the clock! :)

Ya RQ , i missed you alright ,sorry , Sean told me you were at the finish , thanks

Patrick_K wrote: »
    Great running today Seres and nice to run some of the way with you.
    I was sure a 'chicking' was on the cards when you drew back up along side me on the final hill, great strength in the last few miles.
    Well done on your prize!
    PK

Patrick , you werent the only one that didnt want to be chicked , the barechested guy in the last hundred sprinted past me !
    Ya was good to have someone to run along side once we pushed away
    You seemed very fresh at the end ?
    You doin the marathon ?

Advertisement