Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A Runners log : Patience and Consistency

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

I spotted a boards singlet at Lough Key, someone on my log or the event log tipped me off that it might have been you! Well done on your sprint finish you were digging deep and it hurt I'm sure :)
    thanks , that was so funny , like when i passed that old guy i really didnt think he was goin to have any kick and then he went for it , so i was goin to let it go but i said what the hell , it really had no significance to anything or anyone only me and him for bout 5 seconds , hilarious

Monday

Rest

Back still bothering me

Tuesday

easy 40 min

replaced speed session ,

went to physio today , think i will have to opt out of HM , really dissappointed :( , hope im not stupid enough to change my mind on this decision , have been trainin specifically for this since start of june

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Seres wrote: »
    went to physio today , think i will have to opt out of HM , really dissappointed :( , hope im not stupid enough to change my mind on this decision , have been trainin specifically for this since start of june

Jayus, that is a real bummer. Hope you get better. If you can't make dublin, maybe waterford in December? That's meant to be a lovely flat course.

jesus , cant believe i wrote that last night im obviously more stupid than i thought cause im already contemplating my decision , wish the bloody race was tomorro so i didnt have this dilemma
    menoscemo wrote: »
    Jayus, that is a real bummer. Hope you get better. If you can't make dublin, maybe waterford in December? That's meant to be a lovely flat course.

thanks menoscemo , ya saw that , first thing i did last night after deciding not to do dublin , just wonderin how i can maintain the fittness ive built up so that it doesnt go all to waste , i imagine this will be harder to do in the winter !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Awful news. Sorry to hear that. Don't get disheartened. The training fitness won't disappear and the extra training time will just mean you will have a more impressive half marathon when you get to run one.

thanks KC , havent totally made up my mind , will just see how it is this time next week , maybe take another trip to the physio ( hopefully he wont go mad , left his house yesterday saying i definitely wouldnt do it )
    and then decide , easy runs till then , will be pretty disappointed though if i cant do , have never trained so hard for somethin , but as the log title says patience !

wednesday 8th September

went for very easy run today to see how back , hip and hamstring were
    definitely puttin that strain back on the upper back , lower back pain returned and hamstring tightened up , dont know if all this stuff was goin on so much before but just didnt notice because was absorbed in sessions , the whole bloody thing is so frustrating :(

7.24km/40min

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Ha! Your log in the past few days reminds me of this thread over on the main forum :D

menoscemo wrote: »
    Ha! Your log in the past few days reminds me of this thread over on the main forum :D
    OMG i have been so deluded , was thinkin im not like most runners , i can be objective bout my running , those posts are like currents of thoughts that are running ( cause i cant get that word out of my head ) round in my noggin . was told to go out for run today and STOP if pains were coming back , told do between 30-40min , all niggles came back at 2miles , ignored and did till 40min , only cause i arrived at the house !
    have just been adviced not to run for rest of the week :eek: , what will i do with my free time ! housework , thats why i started runnin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭El Director

thanks , that was so funny , like when i passed that old guy i really didnt think he was goin to have any kick and then he went for it , so i was goin to let it go but i said what the hell , it really had no significance to anything or anyone only me and him for bout 5 seconds , hilarious

Monday

Rest

Back still bothering me

Tuesday

easy 40 min

replaced speed session ,

Sorry to hear that. I love the Dublin half but injury ruled me out a few weeks ago, as someone suggested here i am doing Waterford now, I'm hoping I can still reach my 90 min goal :)

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear that. I love the Dublin half but injury ruled me out a few weeks ago, as someone suggested here i am doing Waterford now, I'm hoping I can still reach my 90 min goal :)
    thanks El Director ,havent ruled it out altogether yet , however was told last night not to run for the rest of the week :eek::(, to help speed up recovery , can go swimming though , whipee :rolleyes: , and lots of stretching of course , exercise has never been suck fun !!

Update

havent run since wednesday as adviced , lower back , and hamstring feel a bit better but after sittin down all day in the office can feel the niggle again , goin for easy 20min run tonight followed by pool and jacuzzi and shauna , hope this helps , still have hope for sat , more bad news got up on the scales and bout 3lbs heavier today then last week , sayin that had a bit of a mad weekend food and drink wise , scales work really weird for me , could be back down to normal tomorro

Monday 13th Sep

20min jog &stretching & swim only 375m

pain came back in lower left side of back immediately , but just kept goin anyway , started to move down the leg , :mad:

back feels a bit better though , definitely felt this with stretching

will head out today for 20min jog and stretching later

weight back to normal 53kg :confused:

no pool tonight , massage instead , will organise final appointment with physio morro and see what he says bout race sat , think 90min off the cards but if i can at least do it !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

weight back to normal 53kg :confused:

Seres, i wouldnt be worrying about weight on a day to day basis, it changes too much depending on how hydrated you are and whats in your bowel.

For example i can be anything from 11st 8 (such as sat night after beer and chinese) to 11st 1 after a race (sat morning) or a long cycle. Most of the time im in the middle though 11st 4 to 11st 5.

Just weigh yourself once a week or once a fortnight, first thing in the morning on the same day (eg wednesday for me as its mid week and comes after an easy run - so should be hydrated).

thanks kennyb3

went for 20min jog , no real change on yesterday

so went for massage yesterday , and left glute even stiffer than before , ordered not to run for at least a week, sit properly for 8 hrs at desk , get up every 15min and walk around , do all my stretching, :pac: , im injured , though i was suppose to be takin it easy , now have to try and get the message to penetrate my head , NO DUBLIN HM ! ,
    swim tonight with stretching , dont really know if i should be doin core strenght work yet or not .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭jb-ski

so went for massage yesterday , and left glute even stiffer than before , ordered not to run for at least a week, sit properly for 8 hrs at desk , get up every 15min and walk around , do all my stretching, :pac: , im injured , though i was suppose to be takin it easy , now have to try and get the message to penetrate my head , NO DUBLIN HM ! ,
    swim tonight with stretching , dont really know if i should be doin core strenght work yet or not .

sorry to see you can't make the HM.
    (i've been checking this log everyday hoping for a miraculous recovery!)

i'm sure you're p**sed off now but there'll be other days.

see ya soon.

jb-ski wrote: »
    sorry to see you can't make the HM.
    (i've been checking this log everyday hoping for a miraculous recovery!)

i'm sure you're p**sed off now but there'll be other days.

see ya soon.
    thanks jb-ski , haven been hopin for one too , thanks for offer of place to stay too , at moment would just be happy to be able to run

pool and stretching today , back to physio morro , hopefully can do some bike work soon

friday 17th sep

day off work , think that really helped the back , all the sittin down hard work , leaves it very tired

pool 1100m

Saturday 18th Sep

Nothing

Sunday

23km cycle easy : body ok

Monday

changed my physio : not L5 disc at all per her , my back is fine , its my ****eal joint, its stretched cause my left glute muscle is too weak , hips are out of alignment , she gave me some specific exercises to help ,
    alot of the other execises i was doin were just gross exercises not specific to the problem , stickin with her , first time i feel i know where i am goin
    maybe another weak or ten days of cross training , then i can start building my mileage and core together , she massaged the problem area , very very painful , but feel muxh better since

pilates class : 1 hr , tough but exactly focuses on the area i need to strenghten up

physio said cycling is ok to do , so will get for a ride morro and sat maybe

feel alot more positive now then this time lasrt week :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Fair play Seres. I half expected to log on at the weekend and see a HM race report from you:D
    I think it's always worth getting a second opinion and indeed looking outside of physio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Fair play to you Seres. At least now you know you're going in the right direction (on the mend), you can start making plans again. Patience and consistency!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭aero2k

Good to hear you sounding positive Seres - I know it's heartbreaking missing a goal race but it will stand to you long term. Much better to sort out the problem now before it gets really bad.

If you can cycle then at least you can maintain aerobis fitness.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Hopefully you're on the right track now, always good to get a second opinion.

thanks guys

Tuesday 21st Sep

Stretching and 1km swim in pool

was suppose to get up for cycle today , wednesday but hung onto the bed , will have to do morro , no excuses , goin to bed too late at moment , thats not helping !

Wednesday 22th Sep

1km swim & stretching

Thursday 23rd Sep

Did 1hr circuit session & stretching

bad idea : lower glute and back not great

Friday

16km cycle

Sat

Rest & Stretching

Sunday 26th Sep 2010

23km cycle : easy & stretching

such a nice crisp day , reminds me of weather we get for xc season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Hey how you doing now, injury any better?

tunguska wrote: »
    Hey how you doing now, injury any better?

doin ok , thanks , went to physio today , she said that it is much improved , she cranked the stretching up a notch and i can go for a 2 mi run morro , cant wait ! , progress after that will depend on tomorrow , really want to take part in the xc intermediates and novice at the end of october

Monday 27th Sep

Pilates

Tuesday 28th Sep

1km swim & Stretching

good workout , when i arrived at pool yesterday there were 2 swim lanes , one slowish one with loads of people and one with two speed demons , which one did i pick?! , yes the fast one , felt i had to go really fast( by my standards ) so as not too hold up the other two that seemed to be semi racing against each other , outcome of that was limbs were goin everywhere by the time i was coming near the end , you would have been hard up to guess the stroke i was doin at that stage

Wednesday 29th Sep

2miles very easy , 19 min , pain was coming back and running down the back of my leg at the end , however my left hip was falling as much this time as before , so on with the stretching and low mileage :(
    on a postive note , no real after affects today

• Advertisement

Thursday 30th Sep

1.5km pool swim

didnt do the stretching before like i alway do and only remembered bout 11 pm , none done :mad: , really more NB then swim

Friday

Stretching ( wont call it a rest day as i dont really need one, already too rested , cant even get to sleep at a normal hr )

Saturday

Stretching & 2.5miles in 20min , pain started to come back and down my leg around the first mile , wish i hadnt given my log that title as patience is running ( pardon the pun ) very thin now !

Sunday

Stretching & 30km bike in 1hr 15min : took it fairly handy as adviced , beauiful morning , really enjoyed it , didnt have to worry bout back pain returning either

Monday 4th Oct

Easy 2.5miles & Pilates

Tuesday 5th oct

easy 2.5 miles

feel alot more positive today than yesterday after the run , pain not goin down legs as quickly and not coming into the lower back from the start of the run either , stretching and pool later , no run morro and will do 3miles on thursday

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 477 ✭✭brutes1

Sounds like your having a bad run injury wise seres what a pain...Whats you plan for winter, cross country again..??..
    Galway xcountry on Sat in Loughrea if you were ready for a relatively easy intro back to the mud!!

ya injury is a real pain , just when i was at my fittest ever , ah well , gettin back on track a bit now however next sat is a no no , def do the xc , love them the most , goin ta aim for connacht novice at the end of oct and intermediate in middle of nov , then hopefully will finally get to do my first half in waterford at start of Dec , Field are on the card too , however this one can be tricky to play cause of the day of the year , might be deemed the worst mother in the world to go off racing Stephens Day Morn ! still goin to try though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

might be deemed the worst mother in the world to go off racing Stephens Day Morn ! still goin to try though

The way I see it is that by 8pm on Christmas day my work (lots of work- you know yourself) is done and a few hours without me on Stephens day won't kill them. That bought me a pass last year anyway :pac:

littlebug wrote: »
    The way I see it is that by 8pm on Christmas day my work (lots of work- you know yourself) is done and a few hours without me on Stephens day won't kill them. That bought me a pass last year anyway :pac:
    ya i know what ya mean , happy to forfeit st stephens night out in exchange for the Fields , not much of a contest for me really though , will have to be my xmas present to myself !

littlebug wrote: »

Im with littlebug on this one Seres. As they say on Dr. Phil, you gotta look after yourself before you can look after others..........Now hows that for rationalisation.

Im with littlebug on this one Seres. As they say on Dr. Phil, you gotta look after yourself before you can look after others..........Now hows that for rationalisation.
    tunguska, is that you going all philosophical? Good advice nonetheless, putting themselves first is something Irish mammies are the worst in the world at.:) Great running in Rathfarnham and Athlone btw, you're in great shape for DCM.
    Seres, sorry for the slight hijack. Great to see you feeling better and looking forward to some races. You'll be back in among the prizes before you know it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Good to see you're getting a few short runs in. Must be really frustrating for you to be having problems for so long.

Any verdict on Waterford? Is it out of the question now?

aero2k wrote: »
    tunguska, is that you going all philosophical? Good advice nonetheless, putting themselves first is something Irish mammies are the worst in the world at.:) Great running in Rathfarnham and Athlone btw, you're in great shape for DCM.
    Seres, sorry for the slight hijack. Great to see you feeling better and looking forward to some races. You'll be back in among the prizes before you know it.

ah admit it your not really sorry , rumour has it that its a habit of yours , might have to check with the moderators see if your behaviour is acceptable
    Good to see you're getting a few short runs in. Must be really frustrating for you to be having problems for so long.

Any verdict on Waterford? Is it out of the question now?
    ya but i know whats wrong now and am workin on it , Waterford is definitely been thought about , ALOT

ah admit it your not really sorry , rumour has it that its a habit of yours , might have to check with the moderators see if your behaviour is acceptable
    Ah Seres, I was doing really well in trying to kick that habit, but your log is ss much easier to find than mine (not to mention more interesting!), and tunguska is too busy running 50 miles a day to have his own log, so how else can we chat?:D

You have lots of time to get ready for Waterford. I was tempted to enter myself, but I think I'll just head across the road to the Aware 10k instead.

I'll have you know I'm fierce philosophical. Sure I watch films with subtitles, and I listen to Pink Floyd.........without the aid of, eh, performance enhancing substances.
    Krusty's log is the equivalent of an isreali embassy at this stage, its been hijacked so much, so I think its time to spread ourselves out and maybe claim squatters rights on Sarah's log(hope you dont mind).
    Athlone was very tough have to say. I did it to get an idea of what pace to go off at in the marathon but because it was so hilly I didnt really get the information I was after. Toughened me up though. Looking forward to the marathon big time. Im in that phase where its all I think about, night and day. I cant even sit down to read a book because I drift off planning race strategies in my head. The only books I can read are marathon related. Just finished the "duel in the sun" about the 1982 Boston marathon(considered the greatest marathon ever) and Im seriously fired up. Gonna throw everything at this race, it'll probably take me a year to recover. If theres one thing Ive learned this year from all the races ive done its that Up until this point I havent really been racing at all, ive been only scratching the surface. In the last few races alone Ive learned that when it really starts to hurt........thats when the race is only beginning. So Im gonna go to the well for this one, probably draw the well dry.
    You've been very quite of late, whens the next race? Will you be around the day of the marathon, to shout abuse/encouragement? Either is good.

You've been very quite of late, whens the next race? Will you be around the day of the marathon, to shout abuse/encouragement? Either is good.
    Sorry again Seres - I really am.:D

tunguska, I'll be looking forward to your race report.

Yep, I'll probably stroll over to the 6 mile mark. I'm hoping to meet a few boardsies afterwards as well.

Next race is Jingle bells.:)

I'll have you know I'm fierce philosophical. Sure I watch films with subtitles, and I listen to Pink Floyd.........without the aid of, eh, performance enhancing substances.
    Krusty's log is the equivalent of an isreali embassy at this stage, its been hijacked so much, so I think its time to spread ourselves out and maybe claim squatters rights on Sarah's log(hope you dont mind).
    Athlone was very tough have to say. I did it to get an idea of what pace to go off at in the marathon but because it was so hilly I didnt really get the information I was after. Toughened me up though. Looking forward to the marathon big time. Im in that phase where its all I think about, night and day. I cant even sit down to read a book because I drift off planning race strategies in my head. The only books I can read are marathon related. Just finished the "duel in the sun" about the 1982 Boston marathon(considered the greatest marathon ever) and Im seriously fired up. Gonna throw everything at this race, it'll probably take me a year to recover. If theres one thing Ive learned this year from all the races ive done its that Up until this point I havent really been racing at all, ive been only scratching the surface. In the last few races alone Ive learned that when it really starts to hurt........thats when the race is only beginning. So Im gonna go to the well for this one, probably draw the well dry.

The boards will have to start issuing penalty points for this sort of behaviour , Aerok i feel your the instigator here

Saw that 'you tube clip' on the duel , sure is inspirational stuff , should definitely be censored for injured runners , felt like goin out a runnin a marathon myself after watchin it , how was the book ? Did you know the out come before reading it ?
    Whats the time target for Dublin ?

Anyway goin to post my measly session now

Wednesday 6th Oct 2010

Swim 1.25k & Stretching

Thursday 7th Oct 2010

Ran 3 miles 24 min : pain lessening now

swim and stretching this ev

• Advertisement

Saw that 'you tube clip' on the duel , sure is inspirational stuff , should definitely be censored for injured runners , felt like goin out a runnin a marathon myself after watchin it , how was the book ? Did you know the out come before reading it ?

The book was amazing stuff, couldnt put it down. I did know the outcome of the race before I read the book but it didnt matter. The training that Dick Beardsley did for that race would give you a heart attack just reading about it alone. He was tough as nails. The clip on tube is good but the book will tell you what was really going on during the race. I mean it looks like they were running staedily at 4:58/mile but what was happening was Beardsley was constantly attacking, surging ahead, dropping back, then surging again, all in an attempt to break Salazar. That one race ended both of their careers though, they put som much into it, because they were never the same after. Great story.

I'll have to tell you that one on the quiet. Publicly Im gonna keep the cards close to my chest.

Thursday 7th Oct

Did circuit session , not too tough , felt ok after & Stretching

Friday 8th Oct

4km in 22 min , slow but felt ok , problem seems to be fading thank god .

Rang physio today and she said i can start back at core exercises and do runs a bit longer, Goin for 5 miles sunday , :) , simple pleasures !

on a negative note : really can feel fitness gone back alot even on those easy runs , dying for a race , heart starts racing(cause the legs cant ) even looking at runireland events calender !

Hi Seres,

I've just started the core work. I'm not mad about the exercises, but I think I'll see some benefits. How do you find them?

Good to see another step in the right direction.

(Hopefully no penalty points here.....)

Hi Seres,

I've just started the core work. I'm not mad about the exercises, but I think I'll see some benefits. How do you find them?

Good to see another step in the right direction.

(Hopefully no penalty points here.....)
    find them really boring to be honest but i'll keep doing them , my core is quite weak , finding pilates in conjunction with the exercises good , i think i was doin alot of them wrong , finding your pelvic neutral etc from the pilates is fundamental to doin the core work properly , progress is slow enough and despite my log title im not really that patient , i like to do things at speed , i think it take 6 weeks to see benefits to core strenghtening :eek:

by the way im givin yourself and tunguska open posting rights to my log , i surprise myself with my own generosity sometimes :cool:

by the way im givin yourself and tunguska open posting rights to my log , i surprise myself with my own generosity sometimes :cool:
    Ah, we knew to pick a log where we'd get a good welcome.

Going back to some of the earlier banter, tunguska probably knows this but Alberto Salazar survived a heart attack in 2007 aged 48. He also had a serious drop in performance which Tim Noakes discusses in depth in "Lore of Running" in his chapter on overtraining. There's a lot of good stuff in that chapter.

• Advertisement
Advertisement