Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Runners log : Patience and Consistency

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Seres wrote: »
    Are you serious ? if so im dyin to know what it is !

Monday

PM: pilates , gruelling session , stomach was in ribbons by the end of it

Tuesday

approx 5miles /41min :lunchtime run across the hilly loop .

No joke. Although as you might guess, theres a fair bit of pain involved. Good pain.........eventually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

tunguska wrote: »
    No joke. Although as you might guess, theres a fair bit of pain involved. Good pain.........eventually.

your scaring me now ! are you goin ta tell me or what ?

your scaring me now ! are you goin ta tell me or what ?

Its more of a showy than a telly thing. Have to demonstrate in person. Lots of fun though:eek:
    Seriously no need to be scared. Although when I said tennis ball I meant to say sliotar.......

Its more of a showy than a telly thing. Have to demonstrate in person. Lots of fun though:eek:
    Seriously no need to be scared. Although when I said tennis ball I meant to say sliotar.......

eoin , it sounding more suspect by the minute , but sure 'desperate times .....

wed

40min run with 6 murderous hills , decided to do a couple of hills reps after startin out , 1min to top and jog down recovery , i was buckled after but body felt ok , i dont know why but i think the hills help the injury or maybe . i decided now for the moment , i will decide what i want to do on the day , only decided to this after startin out the run cause i felt good , who knows what tomorro will bring anyway :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Yeah, I've heard about the sliotar replacing the tennis ball as a massage tool. That can not be much fun! :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 477 ✭✭brutes1

wed

40min run with 6 murderous hills , decided to do a couple of hills reps after startin out , 1min to top and jog down recovery , i was buckled after but body felt ok , i dont know why but i think the hills help the injury or maybe . i decided now for the moment , i will decide what i want to do on the day , only decided to this after startin out the run cause i felt good , who knows what tomorro will bring anyway :confused:

Good runnin seres, did a similar session there, tempo cross country in the mud and up and down some rough hills, right hip was givin woeful trouble in warm up, but that pain disappeared pretty quick in the midst of a painful sub 6 min pace tempo session, survival is the aim of the game, one pain is replaced by another it seems!!!.
    Seems like some times injuries can either just calm down of their own accord or be masked by adrenalin rush , hopefully yours is the former, and you wont be worse for wear after the hills.
    Its a good sign if you got through the session. :)
    Cross country national satrday for me, 12km , murder, and try not get lapped by JoeSweeney etc etc...

brutes1 wrote: »
    Good runnin seres, did a similar session there, tempo cross country in the mud and up and down some rough hills, right hip was givin woeful trouble in warm up, but that pain disappeared pretty quick in the midst of a painful sub 6 min pace tempo session, survival is the aim of the game, one pain is replaced by another it seems!!!.
    Seems like some times injuries can either just calm down of their own accord or be masked by adrenalin rush , hopefully yours is the former, and you wont be worse for wear after the hills.
    Its a good sign if you got through the session. :)
    Cross country national satrday for me, 12km , murder, and try not get lapped by JoeSweeney etc etc...
    tempo cross coruntry sounds like absolute torture , best of look with the national xc next sat , if you do get lapped there will be an awful lot behind ya gettin lapped too so its wont seem so bad . Is that the senior nat xc by any chance ? i suppose athenry have a mens team put in ?

Thursday

4.5miles easy : took it very handy today , felt really tired , goin to bed at stupid a clock didnt help , anyway want to go easy enough till sunday, hava 10miler planned

Yes it was only 5k but toughest run all year gaspin for air after..!
    Yep its the national xc next sat, we have a mens team in, the usual suspects , aburke is MIA though!..Womens team too, despite multiple baby arrivals from the regular squad! We re in grade C so should be a few honorary medals for completing the course before dark...!

Craughwell ten next after that, how bout you?..

Yes it was only 5k but toughest run all year gaspin for air after..!
    Yep its the national xc next sat, we have a mens team in, the usual suspects , aburke is MIA though!..Womens team too, despite multiple baby arrivals from the regular squad! We re in grade C so should be a few honorary medals for completing the course before dark...!

Craughwell ten next after that, how bout you?..

that will stand to ya , athenry AC always have a good turn out , Great to here the women got a team in too , thats the modern women for ya , up and at it in no time !
    Im cant take part cause im not currently affiliated with any club but am sorting somethin out soon hopefully , next day out will be craughwell ten , will need to mind myself between now and then , dont imagine i'll be any great shakes , Any the athenry Ac ladies takin part ?

• Advertisement

that will stand to ya , athenry AC always have a good turn out , Great to here the women got a team in too , thats the modern women for ya , up and at it in no time !
    Im cant take part cause im not currently affiliated with any club but am sorting somethin out soon hopefully , next day out will be craughwell ten , will need to mind myself between now and then , dont imagine i'll be any great shakes , Any the athenry Ac ladies takin part ?

Hmm what club is that !! i know a good one...!
    Should be a good AAC crew at the 10miler,it doubles a the county ten mile champs too plus it could be a comeback race for a couple of d ladees post 24hr runs and kids...!!
    It was a cracking day and course last yr, roads closed always good thing , gotta be easier than runnin in the mud any day...you will no doubt run well judgin by athenry tenk and more good trainin since then ..

Hmm what club is that !! i know a good one...!
    Should be a good AAC crew at the 10miler,it doubles a the county ten mile champs too plus it could be a comeback race for a couple of d ladees post 24hr runs and kids...!!
    It was a cracking day and course last yr, roads closed always good thing , gotta be easier than runnin in the mud any day...you will no doubt run well judgin by athenry tenk and more good trainin since then ..
    I wouldnt hedge any bets on me based on that preformance , have only done 2/3 runs over 6 miles since sep , so just want to get thru it . Did one of those ladies that your talkin bout have a baba a few weeks ago ?
    What time have you on the cards for Craughwell ?

I wouldnt hedge any bets on me based on that preformance , have only done 2/3 runs over 6 miles since sep , so just want to get thru it . Did one of those ladies that your talkin bout have a baba a few weeks ago ?
    What time have you on the cards for Craughwell ?

Think you race well seres , so ten miles wont be a bother..Did 5806 last year so have to beat that, notions of sub 57 ..??!

Think you race well seres , so ten miles wont be a bother..Did 5806 last year so have to beat that, notions of sub 57 ..??!
    57 would be a great time , as for me well im just doin it for fun :rolleyes:

Friday/Sat : Rest , knew when i didnt push to get out friday that the next day would be a write off too but my main aim was to get 10miler in on sunday

Sunday : 10miles /82 min , started out slow bout 8.30 pace , decided to take it easy and push it out a little if i felt ok after mile 6/7 , back was at me a bit from bout miles 4/5 but still felt ok so increase pace to 7.30ish for last 3 miles , lots of stretching after , back was a bit tight .

Monday

33 min easy : bit of a niggle this morn but pretty much gone by lunch , recovery far better this week after long run .

Monday PM : Pilates

Tuesday : Easy 5 miles 42 min ,lunctime run , usual loop , hopefully will be up for a little tempo morro , will try maybe 2*10min @ 6.50 pace , no pressure :rolleyes:

Wednesday

warm 10min + 2*10min tempo + 2 min rest + 10min warm down

No Garmin , loaned away , found tempo one ok , kept form well and got stronger towards the end , tempo 2 got a bit further but form and breathing not as controlled , back held out well , stretching tonight .

thursday

pilates

friday

11miles /91min : first 8 miles were slow , think it is best for me to start slow for the back , picked it up from mile eight to 11, 7.54/7.41/7.30/7.16
    stretched after but back has tightened up since , more stretching and should be ok morro
    will def not get another run in this weekend , misjudged freetime ,if had realised this earlier would have run thursday , so only 4 this week , but got the long one in so cant complain

weekend : nothing , as assumed , no excuses, wouldnt have been able to get out training at all.

Monday lunchtime : easy 8.2km/42min30sec , pliates later

Tuesday

4.5miles with 3mile tempo : 7min/6.47/6.40 : pretty pleased with today , had planned to do 2*10 , then 20min then stuck on 3miles.Wanted to see how i could hold up for a few miles before Craughwell . Second half was tougher , it was an out and back route and the wind was strong on the way back . Back held out well , will give it a stretch in bout an hour.
    I think i have decided on a target range for Craughwell , 65-70min .

I think i have decided on a target range for Craughwell , 65-70min .

Whats your 10mile PB by the way?

• Advertisement

Whats your 10mile PB by the way?
    i dont have one , ive never did one , well if you count the warriors run up knocknarea mountain in sligo , which was 10miles , (check out last years results marie mccambridge won the ladies) , did it bout 10 years ago and havent a clue what time i did it in , kind of at a lost to really know what time to go for with the injury and all , im thinkin 67/68min ?

i dont have one , ive never did one , well if you count the warriors run up knocknarea mountain in sligo , which was 10miles , (check out last years results marie mccambridge won the ladies) , did it bout 10 years ago and havent a clue what time i did it in , kind of at a lost to really know what time to go for with the injury and all , im thinkin 67/68min ?

I'd just run conservatively for the first 5 miles if I were you, then put the hammer down and empty the tank in the 2nd half. Always a good bet first race back.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ladytri

Hi Seres
    Have been avoiding boards for the last while as my training goals have kinda shifted (due a baby in May), but thought I'd have a little peek at what yer up to and I'm soooo jealous of your training! Despite the niggley injuries along the way your absolutely flying!
    A few of the lads have started back cycling on Sundays if you're interested in a bit of cross training...
    anyway, keep up the good work and hopefully see you soon

I'd just run conservatively for the first 5 miles if I were you, then put the hammer down and empty the tank in the 2nd half. Always a good bet first race back.

I Think that sounds like a good plan ,cheers :) will start off at bout 7min/mil pace. Im worried that the lenght of this race will kill me , normally at the end of a 10k im wiped so i cant imagine what i'll be like after 10miles .
    So Eoin whats you own target ?
    ladytri wrote: »
    Hi Seres
    Have been avoiding boards for the last while as my training goals have kinda shifted (due a baby in May), but thought I'd have a little peek at what yer up to and I'm soooo jealous of your training! Despite the niggley injuries along the way your absolutely flying!
    A few of the lads have started back cycling on Sundays if you're interested in a bit of cross training...
    anyway, keep up the good work and hopefully see you soon
    thats fantastic news Linda , really exciting for you and P. Im afraid ive only time for a bit of running these days but if you need help with lough key tri organising give me a shout

Wednesday : easy 7.88km/40.11 , windy and cold , a little bit sluggish today , need to get to bed earlier !!

So Eoin whats you own target ?

Im afraid Im out of Craughwell. Got results of MRI and the Doc told me no running for 3 more weeks. I'd have to agree with him, did 10miles yesterday and I think I may have set myself back a bit, heel not happy today. But Im sure 3 weeks will do the job, be back in time to run a howler for the National 10k.

Thursday :

Pilates , No Running

Friday

4.5miles /36min30sec : easy run , legs felt really fresh , quite chilly and was bucketing down so i could see anything thru the glasses
    If i get a 12miler in this weekend i will be happy with this weeks work , last longy before craughwell

Thursday :

Pilates , No Running

Friday

4.5miles /36min30sec : easy run , legs felt really fresh , quite chilly and was bucketing down so i could see anything thru the glasses
    If i get a 12miler in this weekend i will be happy with this weeks work , last longy before craughwell

oh the joys of runnin with glasses in the rain :rolleyes:...!..misery ! ..it ll stand to you though..long run on sun and a tempo durin week will set up nicely for 66 mins next week.

oh the joys of runnin with glasses in the rain :rolleyes:...!..misery ! ..it ll stand to you though..long run on sun and a tempo durin week will set up nicely for 66 mins next week.

drives me mad , and when you try to dry them with wet clothes it makes its ten times worse , they'll be no 66mins , and dont you go spreading any sceals that thats my target either !;) i will see how i am at the half way point , really looking forward to it , cant wait:pac:

Sat

Rest

sunday

12.5miles/1hr42 : mostly on trails bout 3/4 miles on road , started slow , did 8/8.30min/mil for 8miles and picked it up from 4 miles out , 7.50/7.42/7.23/7.13 : back bit tight after , loads of stretching and fine today

• Advertisement

Thats a steady long run there you will have no probs with the distance on Sunday hope the rain holds off and we will be able to see our way round the course - category prize for the four eyed would be nice;)

Advertisement