Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meat was a tough, got it in Halal shop.

Options
  • 15-07-2010 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭

I bought shoulder of lamb in a Halal shop and used in in a lamb curry. The meat was cleaned and diced in front of me and was very good meat.

I browned the meat then cooked it with the spices, onions etc and then added some stock and cream, brought to bubble and cooked for 2 and a half hours on a good bubble.

I have cooked this many times before and meat was always tender but this time I used Halal meat and it was pretty tough. Is it a case that Halal meat just needs to be cooked longer? I had left the curry to others to finish as I had to go out. I would have left it cook for longer to become tender. Is that all that was needed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,779 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I often do curry with shoulder of lamb, but would simmer very gently after it comes to the boil.

Cooking stews and curries on a high heat tends to lead to tougher meat.

Gentle simmering breaks the fibres down better and makes the meat more tender.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Yeah, you want to almost braise rather than boil. Otherwise the collagen won't convert to gelatin and you get a workout for your jaw muscles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

i find halal meat really tender, i prefer it to "regular/abattoir " meat... perhaps just turn down the heat and cook for waaaay longer...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭glanman

Ok maybe I just had it on a tad bit high, never had that problem before. Just need to take more care and time... I would def recommend the Halal meat based on its quality and the way it is prepared, the butchering was just excellent! Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

cook it in a pressure cooker for a while to make it really tender.

• Advertisement
Advertisement