Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice renting tenant rights?

Options
  • 15-07-2010 12:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi,

I share a house with two other people in a three bedroom house. We all signed a lease in August of last year, and now the other two people want to move out.

I requested from my landlord that I could stay and now he wants me to fill the remaining two rooms. Is this my responsibilty or is this in fact up to him [the landlord]? I thought since no one person was responsible for the lease, no one person would be held responsible to fill the rooms?

Any ideas??

P.s. yes I noticed the typo in the heading :) Advise*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Did you each sign a lease (ie separate leases), or a joint one?

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭lainey316

If you all signed the same lease, leasing the whole house/apt to the 3 of you, it's your responsibility to fill the rooms, and indeed to pay the entire amount of the rent (yours + the other two shares) if you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Does your lease end in August and are your two flatmates staying until the end of the lease?

If the three of you rented the whole house on one lease then it'll be up to you to find housemates (you'll be liable for the whole rent until you do).

If you signed a lease each on a per room basis and you are carrying on with a similar lease then it's up to your landlord to get them in.

Personally I'd try to find housemates myself, at least you get to pick and choose who you live with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 JBF

We all signed one lease. So to clarify if I can't fill the rooms I am responsible to cover the entire rent of the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

Cathooo wrote: »
    Does your lease end in August and are your two flatmates staying until the end of the lease?

If the three of you rented the whole house on one lease then it'll be up to you to find housemates (you'll be liable for the whole rent until you do).

If you signed a lease each on a per room basis and you are carrying on with a similar lease then it's up to your landlord to get them in.

Personally I'd try to find housemates myself, at least you get to pick and choose who you live with.

Indeed, a friend of mine had her landlord dump a couple of absolute nutters on her and she ended up having to leave the house, it's worth the effort to ensure that you get to live with people that you're comfortable with. Stick an add on daft and interview all comers a couple of nights a week until you find somebody that you click with. I find that it’s best to show them around and then offer them a cup of tea or coffee, people tend to be more relaxed chatty and informative over a cuppa then they would be if you grill them while giving them the tour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

JBF wrote: »
    We all signed one lease. So to clarify if I can't fill the rooms I am responsible to cover the entire rent of the house?

Yes unless it's a new lease and the landlord is willing to rent it out per room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 RM007

You are only responsible for yourself. Does the landlord still retain the deposits. He is entitled to do so. The landlord can not pursue you for the entire rent if you have signed along with these other people. He has retained the deposit which should cover him for loss of rent. I suggest you meet the landlord and offer him/her the option for you to move out or for them to source other parties. You will all most likely loose the deposit.

Good luck:)

Advertisement