Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for New Triathletes

• 15-07-2010 1:40pm
    Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭

I got a free copy of Outsider Magazine at the last race I did, and they had a good article on Tips for Triathlon. I wont reproduce it here.

Ive still to do my first tri, so it was a great help for me as I get ready, with advice on taper, controlling nerves, eating, kit checklist, and tactics through the race. I think anyone who has been there, done that, can forget how complicated a sport it is for someone just getting into it, and while you guys might find the article pretty basic, for me it was information gold. :)

Some of the things I didnt know as a noob, were stuff like you may be dizzy as you leave the swim, that you must put on your helmet at T1 before touching any of the rest of your kit (or bike).

Anyone have anything to add, that might help me (or any other noobs) facing their first triathlon?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

As a referee the biggest mistakes I see being made by noobs are
    1. The helmet that Oynx mentions above. To keep myself right I repeat the mantra "don't touch bike without helmet clipped" in my head. i.e. clip helmet before I touch bike in T1 and rack bike before I un-clip helmet in T2.

2. bringing the kitchen sink into transition. noobs often pack for a 6 month backpacking trip in transition - towels, water, change of clothes, food, spare bike repair kit, track pump....... You don't need all this. Helmet, sunglasses and trainers will see you right for anything up to 1/2IM. add some food, drugs and suncream for IM and you're good.

3. not being ready at the start. You flaff around for hours and when the gun goes you don't have goggles fixed or hat on.

4. getting confused in transition. It's easy to do in the heat of competition but you can save yourself a lot of confusing if you do a walk through before the race. Walk up from the water and figure out where your bike is coming fromthat direction, figure out what direction you leave T1 etc

I'm sure more will come to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

• Biggest thing for me is people thinking the race is all about them, the day is just as big for everyone else as you so be considerate.
    • Over eating in the days coming up to a race (regardless of the distance)
      Eat more than usual and increase the odds you'll need to relieve yourself mid race.
    • Know the rules
    • Know the course, a reccie can save you minutes
    • You can pee on the bike, don't worry about people behind you, if they get sprayed they are too close
    • Talc in your runners as your feet can be wet coming in off the bike (see last one)
    • Warm down after races, you'll hurt less
    • Odds are you won't finish last so relax
    • Make room for faster competitors who may be passing or lapping you
    • There is absolutely nothing you can do to make yourself fitter in the week before a race, but there is plenty you can do to make yourself slower
    • Don't be a triathlon bore, in all honesty most outside the sport don't really care about your racing and training :)
    • Visualise the race and everything that you'll have to do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭colblimp

Spend obscene amounts of money on kit - that way you're bound to go faster! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Make sure there is enough air pressure in your tires to avoid unnecessary punctures

Expect to be swam over if you are a poor swimmer and start at the front hoping a sprint will get you away

Practice mounting and dismounting on the move before race day.

Have a checklist of everything you need for the race as you pack

+1 to what HM and Tunney said about visualising your path in and out of transition. Walk through it.

Enjoy your first Tri Oryx, you will learn loads :)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

tunney, some of your points (triathlon bore, not finishing last) made me grin, cos thats me. :D

I doubt Ill pee on anyone just yet, but brilliant points, nonetheless.

Where best to find out the rules, btw. Presume you mean this long list?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

tunney wrote: »
    • You can pee on the bike, don't worry about people behind you, if they get sprayed they are too close

Should you practice this beforehand, as in is it difficult to do? (genuine question, I would expect to have to pee before the run section and so would like to get it done while on the bike.)

Also, is sockless running the way to go, as in do all the top guys wear no socks? (Obviously should have run without socks in training a good few times beforehand)

Gringo78 wrote: »
    Should you practice this beforehand, as in is it difficult to do? (genuine question, I would expect to have to pee before the run section and so would like to get it done while on the bike.)

I found it easy. I learnt *in* races. But it is something you could practice I suppose. Peeing while running is possible too. Just more difficult. Still can't pee and swim though.
    Gringo78 wrote: »
    Also, is sockless running the way to go, as in do all the top guys wear no socks? (Obviously should have run without socks in training a good few times beforehand)

Sockless for sprint and olympic, arguable for HIM, I'd wear them for IM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,104 ✭✭✭Bambaata

In relation to T1/T2, walk the route in and out for both swim and run. I generally then run then at a pace ill expect to do in the race counting the number of steps so i know when i really need to focus on where my gear is. I also use a nice bright yellow towel to put my runners on so i cant miss it.

Also warm the wet suit as soon as you get in the water before the off ;-) Nothing worse than needing to go to the loo as soon as you get going!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Still can't pee and swim though.

I thought that was something that never left you from when you were a kid :D

I found it easy. I learnt *in* races. But it is something you could practice I suppose. Peeing while running is possible too. Just more difficult. Still can't pee and swim though.

I trained with a guy who was training for the channel and he could only pee in an upright position. We all knew when F. started to tread water to stay well clear.

I've never had any problem peeing while swimming, biking or running but running is a disaster for chaffing so I tend not to do it there. Makes a wetsuit lovely and cosy on a cold day though ;-)

Some IM have now banned peeing on the bike explicitly. I've never heard of it being policed but worth being aware of.

If you do pee on the bike, clean your bike fairly soon afterwards. A wee old peed on saddle is not pleasant.

All of the above is based on me having girl bits so have absolutely zero expertise for boys bits.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I knew this thread would be an eye opener, but jesus wept, there's wee everywhere....

As well as everything else I need to know, I now have to learn to wee on a bike.

NOT going to hug a triathlete straight after an event any more, either. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Good thread and I didn't realise that with the helmet, so good to know.

Oryx wrote: »
    I knew this thread would be an eye opener, but jesus wept, there's wee everywhere....

As well as everything else I need to know, I now have to learn to wee on a bike.

NOT going to hug a triathlete straight after an event any more, either. :)

Always wear a two piece on HIMs and longer as you may need more than a wee in the bushes :)

And always soak and wash your bike shoes after a race. The smell can be fierce otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Sport101

Always remember to take off your wetsuit before you get on the bike.

Sport101 wrote: »
    Always remember to take off your wetsuit before you get on the bike.

Good man eimhin.

One from Mr. Adams, always look where you are cycling, otherwise you may end up on the six one news.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭dare2be

Quick question....

Goggle straps inside or outside swim hat?

dare2be wrote: »
    Quick question....

Goggle straps inside or outside swim hat?

Under. Makes it harder to have them knocked off.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭dare2be

Under. Makes it harder to have them knocked off.

Thought that. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

Peeingin in your wetsuit seems perfectly normal... but on the bike? :eek: Guess it would of saved me the three stops I had to take during a HIM... but isnt that just for people trying to win? :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

It seems peeing has been beaten to death...but while we are at it - The Farmer's Wipe...do it to the left not the right.

I think I might prefer a splash of wee than a face full of snot on the odd occasion that I pass by:)

• Advertisement

kingQuez wrote: »
    Peeingin in your wetsuit seems perfectly normal... but on the bike? :eek: Guess it would of saved me the three stops I had to take during a HIM... but isnt that just for people trying to win? :cool:

Say you train really really hard for next year. Say you get that coach. Say he does everything he can for you. You knock your swim, bike and run times down alot.

Are you really going to give up 10 minutes for bike pee stops after all that work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

Be realistic where abouts in the group you position yourself for the swim start - start at the back or the sides - otherwise prepare to jostle or be jostled.

Sight very often in the swim or prepare to spend the day zig zagging around the place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭griffin100

Remember lads, its ok to pee on the bike but no more.........

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=150441&start=1

griffin100 wrote: »
    Remember lads, its ok to pee on the bike but no more.........

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=150441&start=1

On the run in austria I could have sworn I saw a lad with a giant turd stick out of his white tri suit. I put it down to heat and tiredness as I couldn't really be seeing that.

The next day my wife and mother said "Did you see the guy with........."

gross. At least get it out of the trisuit rather than running with it there for hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭griffin100

On the run in austria I could have sworn I saw a lad with a giant turd stick out of his white tri suit. I put it down to heat and tiredness as I couldn't really be seeing that.

The next day my wife and mother said "Did you see the guy with........."

gross. At least get it out of the trisuit rather than running with it there for hours.

If its hard enough that its holding its shape and sticking out of a trisuit then his hydration and nutrition plan is not working;)

It remonds me of that bit in Paul Kimmage's book when he talks about Gred LeMond overtaking him in the TDF following a bout of diarria and smelling atrocious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

'Thanks' is definitely the wrong button for those posts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 kayakmoss

What about elastic bands on your bike shoes to keep them in place for T1, tried this loads but cant seem to get it to work right.
    They always fail on me so ive never tried it in a race.......any tips?

I just put the shoes at a quarter to three position in transition and jump on. It's simply to flick the shoes over with my toes before putting feet in.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 kayakmoss

Ya that might be a better idea, i'll give it a go one of the days and see what happens......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Any newbies reading this doing Tri795 this weekend, remember that all the widdling advice above relates to OW swims and Ironman distance bikes, please don't pee in our pool :)
    [woddle, I'm looking at you :p]

Advertisement