Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for New Triathletes

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

tunney wrote: »
    • Don't be a triathlon bore, in all honesty most outside the sport don't really care about your racing and training :)

How can you spot a triathlete at a party? you don't have to, they will tell you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭El Director

I just put the shoes at a quarter to three position in transition and jump on. It's simply to flick the shoes over with my toes before putting feet in.

This is what I do too and it works perfectly, nice and simple-my motto. Just make sure the chain is on the big ring, this will stop the peddals from spin thus knocking off a shoe, but also in an easy gear at the back end so as to be trying to push a hugh gear from a near standing start.

Probably one of the most useful tips I got last year was to wear ear plugs. I complained about being dizzy coming out of the water and often falling over (hilarious to watch I've been told!) A friend of mine suggested the plugs and thats that problem solved. Something to do with hair follicles in your ear getting wet and affecting ones balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

My first time tips would be more mental than physical:

Stay near the course the night before so as you have plenty of time to register and set up all your gear the next day, and reccy the course the night before.

Get a few of your friends to do it too. They may be helpfull for training with and the camradarie/slagging/competetiveness can be shared. They'll also help keep your mind from getting too excited/nervous in the 24 hours beforehand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

DustyBin wrote: »
    , please don't pee in our pool :)
    [woddle, I'm looking at you :p]

I promise. I do get very nervous before races and this tends to make me pee alot, I'll drink less until the bike :D so God help anyone behind me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Woddle wrote: »
    I promise. I do get very nervous before races and this tends to make me pee alot, I'll drink less until the bike :D so God help anyone behind me.

Once you don't run away before the start and hide then come back then run away again ;)

Hope you enjoy the Tri this weekend best of luck, hows your running going btw?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

shels4ever wrote: »
    hows your running going btw?

Not great, my knee has been causing a bit of bother so I rested up on holidays for 2 weeks and went out on Monday for 25 mins and I'm still not sure, I might just have been too aware of it, I'll be going out again later so hopefully. Good to see you going so well and not a bad time for the mile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Woddle wrote: »
    Not great, my knee has been causing a bit of bother so I rested up on holidays for 2 weeks and went out on Monday for 25 mins and I'm still not sure, I might just have been too aware of it, I'll be going out again later so hopefully. Good to see you going so well and not a bad time for the mile.
    Will be happy when i get that back under 6 mins but starting to get some sort of form again.

Advertisement