Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soundproof Front Door

• 15-07-2010 1:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭

I have moved into an apartment and there is considerable noise coming through the front door from the hallway and stairwell nearby
    Without actually replacing the door are there ways I can make it more soundproof ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,620 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If its possible you could hang a thick curtain inside the door, just far enough in for the door to open, so you have a little 'porch area'. Maybe use one of those expanding poles, though if you have kids it could easily fall down. Or put it immediatly behind the door, but be prepared to pull it back every time you open the door, though that might not be too much of an issue.

Buy a sheet of fibreboard (that soft stuff used for notice boards) and put on the back of the door, this would not do anything about noise coming in round the edges though. You would have to give it a few coats of paint to stop it falling apart.

Put some draught excluder round the edges of the door, that might be enough to improve the situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

I have moved into an apartment and there is considerable noise coming through the front door from the hallway and stairwell nearby
    Without actually replacing the door are there ways I can make it more soundproof ?

The soundproofing of your door will be most quickly (simply and cheaply) improved by eradicating air gaps between it and the doorframe/floor. Air gaps permit the soundwaves to sail through almost uninterupted and you'll be amazed and the gains made by sealing those gaps.

Exitex do a range of door surround kits (which tackle the sides and top) - the one below is the one I've used with much success: it's easy to fit and has a little adjustment in it so as to get the fit just right. The trick is to fit it so that the rubber touches the door firmly, but not so much as to require you having to slam your door to shut it.

http://www.exitex.com/WeatherBars/PartInfo.aspx?PartRef=1.01.400.&referral=doorsurroundDoorSurround

Without seeing the detail of the bottom of your door I couldn't suggest which is the best option there. Exitex do a variety of sealing sets for door bottoms however. They're Irish, so it shouldn't be too hard to get your hands on their products.

The letterbox is another consideration - but you can buy well sealed units fairly straighforwardly if there's something amiss with yours.

If you need someone to do the work then PM me.

Advertisement