Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant in Westport

Options
  • 15-07-2010 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭

Folks,

Looking for a restaurant recommendation in Westport. Heading up for the weekend with my wife for our 2nd Wedding anniversary and we want some where nice to eat.

Thanks again,
    G

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Knockranny House Hotel's restaurant has been voted best hotel restaurant in Ireland. Well worth a look for an occasion. http://www.khh.ie/la-fougere-restaurant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Fatboydim

Bella Vita if you like Italian.

Lemon Peel is good.

Mangos is good for fish

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭ncit9933

JJ O'Malleys used to be good, haven't been in westport in a couple of years though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Sol Rio's has generally favourable views from most people I have talked to. Havent eaten there myself in a few years. Lemon Peel is another place which I hear people raving about, looks very small inside though?

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Restaurants very expensive in Westport. News of the recession obviously hasn't hit the town yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

can't recommend An Port Mór highly enough.. the food is just excellent. we started going there when it was run by an italian guy but since then it's been taken over and my god the food is good. we've been back 4 times since and it honestly just gets better each time. they've won georgina campbell awards for the 2nd year running and have also just won the award for the best restaurant in mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Dec25525

Not for the first time you have posted critically about Westport being expensive.

Can you quote your comparisons?.

You also claimed sometime last year that Westport was a hell hole due to stag and hen parties.

I live in the town and never heard of any such problems - they add to the gaiety of a weekend in Westport.

Why are you so negative about Westport?

Not at all negative about Westport. In fact, I like the town a lot. But just two points to make. The volume of hens and stags are great for the pubs on Saturday nights but they are a nightmare at times for locals . . . and visitors to the town. Have spoken to local who would sooner go for a couple of pints on a Sunday night than be stuck in the middle of gangs of bunny ears on a Saturday night.
    Secondly restaurant prices in Westport are now more expensive than Galway and even Dublin. Have eaten in The Helm and while the food is okay, it is outrageously expensive. Sol Rio is an expensive Italian for only reasonable food, there was a mention of the restaurant in the Knockranny House which is award winning so therefore it is allowed charge €26 for a steak and €14.50 for a triple deck sandwich.
    There are restaurants in Galway city where you can get two main courses and a bottle of wine for less than €50 because the market has become so competitive and with less people eating out. Show me a mainstream restaurant in Westport where you can do that.
    Again, it is just my experience of Westport but otherwise I love the place.

dec25532 wrote: »
    ...there was a mention of the restaurant in the Knockranny House which is award winning so therefore it is allowed charge €26 for a steak and €14.50 for a triple deck sandwich.
    It's not allowed to charge those prices (allowed by whom?), it's able to charge what it charges because people are prepared to pay them.

I've eaten in Knockranny three times, I've never had any complaints about what I paid for the quality of the food I got.

dec25532

Glad to see that you are still a Westport fan.

I live close to the centre of the town, have been around there and in various establishments on Saturday nights. Not aware of any problems with stags or hens

The main pubs on a line from Castlecourt Castlebar through Bridge St and up to McGings on High Street and across to Octagon and some in James St can be very busy on Saturday nights with locals and visitors. Hundreds of people enjoying themselves. A group of young ladies wearing rabbits' ears and short skirts or whatever calling into these pubs does not upset anyone, but adds to the general gaiety of the evening.

To paraphrase either Johnson or Boswell if one is tired of that you are tired of life.

There are other pubs around town where even on a Saturday the crowd is usually just local, and your friend is welcome there for a few quieter pints.

I have eaten in various Westport and Galway places over the years as have various friends and relations. The general view is that Westport compares well for price quality atmosphere and ambience..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Placebo Effect

dec25532 wrote: »
    Not at all negative about Westport. In fact, I like the town a lot. But just two points to make. The volume of hens and stags are great for the pubs on Saturday nights but they are a nightmare at times for locals . . . and visitors to the town. Have spoken to local who would sooner go for a couple of pints on a Sunday night than be stuck in the middle of gangs of bunny ears on a Saturday night.
    Secondly restaurant prices in Westport are now more expensive than Galway and even Dublin. Have eaten in The Helm and while the food is okay, it is outrageously expensive. Sol Rio is an expensive Italian for only reasonable food, there was a mention of the restaurant in the Knockranny House which is award winning so therefore it is allowed charge €26 for a steak and €14.50 for a triple deck sandwich.
    There are restaurants in Galway city where you can get two main courses and a bottle of wine for less than €50 because the market has become so competitive and with less people eating out. Show me a mainstream restaurant in Westport where you can do that.
    Again, it is just my experience of Westport but otherwise I love the place.

Utter rubbish, the hens & stags are confined to 6-7 pubs out of about 30. Plenty of places for a quite drink any day of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Was there a piece in the Sunday papers last year about Westport becoming the Killarney of the West? Something to the effect that it was too plasticky with trinket sellers flogging the real Irish experience etc.

I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong.......

Finiskiln

There are f requent write-ups about Westport. Can't recall one about plasticky souvenirs.

Heard that after Westport's wins in Tidy Towns' Competition, Entente Floriale etc and growing popularity as a tourist centre that Killarney is now calling itself the Westport of the South.

Guess it's hard to be humble when we are perfect in every way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Hi folks,

Just arrived in Westport for the night. On a bit of budget for we're looking for some hearty fare (either pub or restaruant) with mains between 8 and 15 euro, any recommendations?

The Quay Cottage just outside the gates of Westport House has a recession-buster menu, three courses and wine for two people, €54.50 all-in if memory serves.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

oscarBravo wrote: »
    The Quay Cottage just outside the gates of Westport House has a recession-buster menu, three courses and wine for two people, €54.50 all-in if memory serves.

Went for a meal there on Friday and had food from the recession buster menu and it was horrible. Not the first time I've been disappointed on the quality of that menu- lazy starter, horrible steak, lazy desert and average wine. Not good value if the food is not nice me thinks!

Beanstalk wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Just arrived in Westport for the night. On a bit of budget for we're looking for some hearty fare (either pub or restaruant) with mains between 8 and 15 euro, any recommendations?

When you think about it, it is hard to find a restaurant in Westport which fits this bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Placebo Effect

The Wyatt Hotel
    The West
    Westport Inn (not sure of the new name)

all do reasonable mains from 10-15 euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 sarahspud

I have just recently moved to Westport & love the life and gaiety of the place. Its great that there are so many restaurants to choose from & the beautiful scenery close by is a big draw for me. Regarding hens & stags,I think its true that they can be a bit tedious for locals at times, but they do bring great business to the town. Most Saturday nights, I will do my best to avoid them!
    Regarding restaurant prices, I agree that they are expensive, having lived in Dublin & Galway recently. Its to do with more choice-Westport has lots of great restaurants but they dont have many at a lower price point than €18-€20 for a main course. Thats grand when you're flush but not when you're a student who likes to eat out! I usually sample the early bird menus where possible. I recommend An Port Mor, Quay Cottage (though I had a disappointing meal there last night) & Sage.
    Its a fabulous town though, I love it here.

Advertisement