Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

64BIT OS on 32bit Hardware?

Options
  • 15-07-2010 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi All

I was given a win7 cd to upgrade my laptop. I wasnt really paying attention and clicked through the options. It all went fine with no errors but Ive notice in task manager some of the apps ive installed have 32 after them. For example itunes 32*.

Would this suggest that Ive installed an 64BIT Operating System? I was of the assumption if the hardware wasnt 64bit (processor) then it wouldnt install? I dont have the Win7 CD anymore as I gave it back to my friend.

If indeed this is the case that its a 64bit os , is there any known issues on what Ive done?

cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Unless you laptop is ancient (pre 2003- 2004 or thereabouts) it will have a 64 bit processor, it has just taken OS's and software alot longer to get to 64 bit.

It wouldn't have been able to install at all on 32 bit hardware, so you will have no problems.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

gary_bre wrote: »
    Hi All

I was given a win7 cd to upgrade my laptop. I wasnt really paying attention and clicked through the options. It all went fine with no errors but Ive notice in task manager some of the apps ive installed have 32 after them. For example itunes 32*.

Would this suggest that Ive installed an 64BIT Operating System? I was of the assumption if the hardware wasnt 64bit (processor) then it wouldnt install? I dont have the Win7 CD anymore as I gave it back to my friend.

If indeed this is the case that its a 64bit os , is there any known issues on what Ive done?

cheers

If you want to make sure of what your CPU is capable of then run CPU-Z

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

as far as i know a 64 bit o/s will only install on a 64 bit pc are you talking about the program file,s x86 as we all have them what laptop is it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

marco_polo wrote: »
    Unless you laptop is ancient (pre 2003- 2004 or thereabouts) it will have a 64 bit processor

It's actually not that far back. The Core Duo processor was released at the start of 2006 and that was 32-bit.

To OP: If you right-click on my computer, it will tell you if you have 32/64-bit installed, I think (not at a W7 at the moment to check). Anyway, as people say above, you couldn't have 64-bit on 32-bit hardware.

BTW, what were you upgrading from? Is this a clean install or an upgrade built on top of vista? I don't think you can convert with an upgrade to 64-bit from 32 or vice versa.

Advertisement