Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Students abused by scum.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Carlos_Ray wrote: »
    How can we clean up Dublin and make it a desirable destination?

Get rid of all the dubs in the city.

In fairness, they ruin the place for the rest of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

DrumSteve wrote: »
    he'd want good balance.

I was thinking maybe putting a crows nest at the top and a pulley system so that hot drinks and sandwiches could be delivered to him whilst he's on shift.

Ya know, spruce it up a little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I was in Dublin city today and encountered a large group of Spanish students. We are all accustomed to them coming over every summer to learn English. They are a major boost to our economy (especially in the current climate) and from my experience they are generally good mannered and far better behaved them their Irish counterparts when abroad.

That was the first fault in your post there, everything went downhill from there on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Do scum not abuse everybody? If not I say we sue for equality

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Those students are annoying as ****. Is it a rule in Spain that everyone has to talk over each other all at once and in the loudest voice possible?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Kasabian wrote: »
    He'll be busy in October

If anything it'd be a bonus for Marathon runners. Help motivate them to continue going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

Do scum not abuse everybody? If not I say we sue for equality

Scum are equal oppurtunity annoyers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

They are a major boost to our economy

Lol 1
    and from my experience they are generally good mannered

Lol 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Those students are annoying as ****. Is it a rule in Spain that everyone has to talk over each other all at once and in the loudest voice possible?

I can handle the 'Our VOICES GO UP TO 11' stuff it's the 'we are going to walk down the footpath 4-abreast so that there is no room for anyone else' bs that ticks me off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

bonerm wrote: »
    I was thinking we could put a sniper on top of the spire who has the legal right to shoot any person within 1000 yards of his position that falls under all of the following parameters:

1) wearing a tracksuit
    2) standing in place for more than 2minutes
    3) holding a bottle of fanta.

hey i like fanta :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Term "scum" used over three times in OP; post disregarded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

My shower is getting awful abuse from scum these days.

Must remember to buy some Mr. Muscle on the way home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    My shower is getting awful abuse from scum these days.

Must remember to buy some Mr. Muscle on the way home.

Or Cilit Bang,Bang! and...your shower head smells like vinegar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

I was basically referring to the general views on this site. If you say, Dublin is a kip ( Which it is, and I am from there), people will no doubt say ," you get scum everywhere" just so they seem balanced and fair.

If by "balanced and fair" you mean "talking actual sense rather than sensationalist rubbish" then I agree.

"PC gone mad!!!!!!" has become the calling-card of those too stupid to think beyond what the red-tops tell them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Ive been saying this for ages, we need to put anti-social behavior orders on junkies and other scum from the city centre and make sure they cant go into city center. I always find it strange how Irish people can complain about students coming over considering the amount of Irish people that go to Spain every summer and absolutely trash the place.

I would much rather some loud talking spanish students over a bunch of pissed Irish smashing up hotel rooms, pissing on the streets and constantly getting in fights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

While I agree with the OP in some regard I think it would be extreme to wipe out all the Spanish students...we should keep the hot ones.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Pauleta wrote: »
    [...] make sure they cant go into city center. [...]

:confused:

So they'll be doing the same thing, just somewhere else. I can't think of a public place where it would be ok for them to act like they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Poison-gassing the city centre isn't too bad an idea at this stage.

Of course there would be a warning broadcast to the masses in advance. But only on Newstalk and in the Irish Times. This would ensure that the scum don't get it and get wiped out leaving the city for the rest of us to enjoy.

A few signs on the buses in Spanish and Italian telling the students to sit down and lower the volume wouldn't go amiss too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Jeboa Safari

Gardai should actually do something instead of just telling them to move on
    I hate having to go into the city centre, between junkies, scumbags, beggers, and those annoying charity workers pretending to be your best friend looking for your bank details the place is a kip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Morlar wrote: »
    I can handle the 'Our VOICES GO UP TO 11' stuff it's the 'we are going to walk down the footpath 4-abreast so that there is no room for anyone else' bs that ticks me off.

As annoying as they can be, I teach in a language school so I know full well how loud they are, they bring in a lot of money to the economy. Apart from language schools, teachers and host families who all benefit, they buy a huge amount of stuff when they're over.

A place like Carrolls must be dependent on them at this point, as every time I bring a group in to Dublin every student buys at least one thing. They also buy lots of clothes, shoes etc.

The school I work in currently has 250 kids over (not all Spanish). As far as I know, they pay around 600 a week to be here, and I'd say they easily spend another 200 while here. That's 200,000 in one week, in one school only, going into our economy. In a time of recession, I'm willing to be slightly discomforted on the footpath for that kind of boost to the economy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

carlop wrote: »
    As annoying as they can be, I teach in a language school so I know full well how loud they are, .

Could you tell them to shut the **** up, please? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

stovelid wrote: »
    A group of kids started on another group of kids in the centre of a major city.

Have the army been informed?

Just now :cool:.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭fakearms123

Morlar wrote: »
    I have lived in Dublin and travelled/lived/worked in other cities in europe. Dublin is not the worst in terms of street criminality by a long shot.

It's funny though - if the OP was about roma street criminality and looking to exterminate all of them the OP would probably have gotten infracted by now.

Note that I didnt say anything about street criminality, i was talking about scumbagary or if I was living in the 50's I would be saying shenanigans, mischief or tomfoolery, a junkie asking someone for spare change is not a criminal act, harrassing tourists with verbal abuse is not against the law hence why the gards did nothing about it just told them to move along, they weren't breaking the law. But as the OP said, this kind of action gives dublin a bad name and makes a tourist's experience over here unpleasant. Simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

Avoid dublin city. Simple.

Guards really don't care or have the will to do anything about the scummers. If more people avoided the city centre cos of junkie scum then business would lose out and put pressure on council/government/guards etc. Not gonna happen though so best to stay away.

One advantage to being a junkie is knowing guards won't go near you

Seriously? You think Dublin is so bad that you'd actually avoid the place altogether :rolleyes:.

:D.

I'm in town on an almost daily basis and i've yet to encounter this dublin you speak of.
    Sure, if you go to certain places there are a lot of drug addicts, but in all my years they've never impinged on me in any way. I'm not saying dublin is completely safe (I know many people who have been mugged/attacked), but on the whole the problem's nowhere near as bad as many people think.

It seems no matter how good thing are, people will always be calling for tougher measures. If tougher measures were the miracle solution people think they are then do you not think they'd be in force already?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

I've lived in Dublin all my life and been a regular visitor to town for >15 years and have never once been approached, threatened etc by anyone, at any time of the day or night apart from people looking for a euro at the bank machine or whatever. That includes walking home from town through North Strand, 5 Lamps etc.
    Only last Saturday night I was sitting on the boardwalk at 2am for a couple of hours and the element of a threat if any came from the paralytic middle class types more so than scumbags.
    Places like Barcelona, Brussels, Paris, NYC are much dodgier imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

put them all in adamstown and dismantle the luas red line. then take their crisps and slag their mas

in fairness dublin used to be worse. i was mugged 4 times in town when i was a teenager. twice by the same bloke, once outside the 4 courts. havent had a spot of bother in the last 10 years.

just dont go north side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

I was in Dublin city today and encountered a large group of Spanish students. We are all accustomed to them coming over every summer to learn English. They are a major boost to our economy (especially in the current climate) and from my experience they are generally good mannered and far better behaved them their Irish counterparts when abroad.

Anyway, the students were just wondering down the road chatting and laughing. They weren't bothering anybody.

As they walked on to O'Connell street , a group of about 5 sweaty pale faced tracksuit wearing junkie scum crawled out of a side street and started shouting abuse at them. 4 men in their late twenties and 1 fat beast of a heroin pin cushion. They used foul language, and one even threw a can at the frightened students. The beast woman even started on a young Spanish girl who was no older than 13!!!

A Gard who observed the situation simply told the scum to move on! It got me thinking about the scum infestation in out city and how they are basically ruining it , not only for Irish people, but for tourists who are pumping money into our economy.

In order to protect our much needed tourist income we need to clean up our streets and eradicate the scum that control it. You can't even use the liffey boardwalk on a summers day because its taken over by junkies and scum bags drinking cans and causing trouble.

If it was up to me I'd exterminate them as part of a Government process of national cleansing. Of course everybody is too politically correct here to entertain this idea, so I'm interested in hearing other solutions. How can we clean up Dublin and make it a desirable destination?

It happens to the American tourists also. Tons of them come over to Ireland each summer to discover their heritage.

I was in McDonalds with my girlfriend recently and there was a group of Americans sitting behind us chatting away to each other.

For absolutely no reason this junkie, sitting by himself across the room, starts screaming at them "Ya fookin' neards". The Americans were clearly shocked but none the less continued their conversation trying to ignore him. He kept shouting abuse at them on his own from across the room.

He called them "wiggers" and one of the black americans got up and gave him the finger. The junkie started on him and the black guy told him "he'd kick his racist ass". All the americans then got up and left in disgust after the junkie tried to justify himself.

It just turns people off going to Ireland when theres hordes of those junkie wastes of life strolling the streets acting as if they are intitled to an opinion.

I'm not suggesting some sort of Final Solution, but......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

easyeason3 wrote: »
    No matter where you go in the world every place has some degree of scum.
    Dublin is no different & it's getting a bit annoying that people think Dublin is an exception to the norm.

you're right, scum is everywhere, but nowhere that i have ever been has the sheer amount of it as dublin city, it gets worse everytime i go into the city, which i can't really avoid because of work. The place is full of it, junkies hassling you for change, stumbling around in a drug fuelled haze, and even fighting with each other as i witness on many occasions. Really brings the tone of the place down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

I'm in town on an almost daily basis and i've yet to encounter this dublin you speak of.
    Sure, if you go to certain places there are a lot of drug addicts, but in all my years they've never impinged on me in any way. I'm not saying dublin is completely safe (I know many people who have been mugged/attacked), but on the whole the problem's nowhere near as bad as many people think.

zuutroy wrote: »
    I've lived in Dublin all my life and been a regular visitor to town for >15 years and have never once been approached, threatened etc by anyone, at any time of the day or night apart from people looking for a euro at the bank machine or whatever. That includes walking home from town through North Strand, 5 Lamps etc.

I am the same. Pretty much never had a bad experience.

Yet, when you read some of the posts here, you would think that Dublin is the most dangerous hell hole know to man where the cops do nothing and the junkies rule the streets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

i've seen some horrific racism in dublin actually.

Advertisement