Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Students abused by scum.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Din Taylor

Carlos_Ray wrote: »

If it was up to me I'd exterminate them as part of a Government process of national cleansing. Of course everybody is too politically correct here to entertain this idea, so I'm interested in hearing other solutions. How can we clean up Dublin and make it a desirable destination?

Have a 90% off sale at Marathon sports and drop a nuclear bomb on the city. The city needs flattening and rebuliding for infrastructural purposes anyway. Obviously let the non-scum/politicians know beforehand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Denerick wrote: »
    No, it is not a fantastic idea. It is state sponsered ethnic cleansing and the forcible removal of children from families according to social class.

I'm sure they have to be of a different ethnic group from the rest of us to be ethnic cleansing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

I'm sure they have to be of a different ethnic group from the rest of us to be ethnic cleansing.

Oh, well thats fine then.

"Carry on with the executions Sir! Apparantly its not ethnic cleansing so its ok!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

If it was up to me I'd exterminate them as part of a Government process of national cleansing. Of course everybody is too politically correct here to entertain this idea
    Yes, the only reason people don't support state murder is for the sake of being politically correct...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

Dudess wrote: »
    Yes, the only reason people don't support state murder is for the sake of being politically correct...

Are you a PC proponent?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

They are a major boost to our economy (especially in the current climate) and from my experience they are generally good mannered and far better behaved them their Irish counterparts when abroad.

Its a well know fact in the trade that shop secuirty is doubled when the Spainish are in town. I've seen them rob shops blind. There ia reason in Spain for the heavy handed store security and why they seal your backpack etc in some stores.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

If it was up to me I'd exterminate them as part of a Government process of national cleansing. Of course everybody is too politically correct here to entertain this idea, so I'm interested in hearing other solutions. How can we clean up Dublin and make it a desirable destination?

Wasn't that done before, but on a larger scale during world war 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Just send the students to Clare or Connemara and they'll learn how to survive like Bear Grylls, and then they will be able to fight the scum back.
    easyeason3 wrote: »
    And theres always a few of them wearing glasses that look like something from the 70's.
    Italians... :rolleyes:
    Those students are annoying as ****. Is it a rule in Spain that everyone has to talk over each other all at once and in the loudest voice possible?
    It is :D
    ironclaw wrote: »
    Its a well know fact in the trade that shop secuirty is doubled when the Spainish are in town. I've seen them rob shops blind. There ia reason in Spain for the heavy handed store security and why they seal your backpack etc in some stores.
    Do they?

EDIT: I've told a couple of Spanish students to fúck off a couple of times. No mercy with them :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

I don't think that Dublin has more sketchy characters than other cities; the difference is that the police don't chase them out of the city center like they would in most other urban areas that have a lot of tourism. Also, have any of the people comparing Dublin to other cities been on some of the side streets off of Las Ramblas (where you are statistically more likely to get your passport or wallet stolen than anywhere else in the world), or into Miami proper and away from the beaches? YIKES.

As for people saying crazy **** to packs of tourists...it happens. Spaniards talk plenty of **** about tourists in Spain, and I've heard people (men in particular) yell nasty things at foreign women, assuming that they didn't speak the language. Such is life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Are you a PC proponent?

Not everyone loves Macs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Pittens

Kasabian wrote: »
    He'll be busy in October

Lol ( but the joke was too subtle for most, I fear).

anyway, yeah, problem with Dublin's scum is that they are very visible. Were they in a banlieu, or somesuch we would care less.

In another city a boardwalk in the centre of town might be a useful place for normal non-junkie types, for workers on their break, or their weekend. A hyde park kinda place. A berlin beach. A paris cafe. Etc.

Here scummers abound. The taxpayer cannot avail of facilities he paid for.

Time to end that crap.

"Carry on with the executions Sir! Apparantly its not ethnic cleansing so its ok!"

There is no apparently about it. It isn't ethnic cleansing. It is class cleansing.

Never felt intimidated when living in Dublin and working in the city centre - it's not teeming with "hoodlums" just because of the occasional isolated incident, or because someone says so...

it's not teeming with "hoodlums" just because of the occasional isolated incident, or because someone says so...

The boardwalk is a no-go area. While it was being built I thought it was brilliant . Now it is useless. Why should people pay for something they cant use?

The problem with these people is the massive sense of entitlement. This sense is fostered by the lack of proper charges/sentences brought against them for their multitude of convictions, the generous welfare benefits, and the free drugs they are given.

All this does is ENABLE their behaviour. Why would they change when they don't have to?

I do understand that the vast majority will come from disadvantaged backgrounds, but this itself needs to be tackled harshly. I don't mean by throwing more money at them, but by making sure their dole payments etc are cut when their kids don't go to school and get a bloody education that's provided for free.

I don't buy for a second that people aren't harassed by scum in Dublin regularly. I'm in town quite a bit and I'm always HASSLED (i.e. the person gets right in my face) for money or cigarettes. In fairness some of them will say "no problem" when I tell them they aren't getting anything, but a lot will be of the "Fúck you ye scabby prick" variety. It's a joke and I shudder whenever I see them hassling tourists.

We deserve to be left the fúck alone to live our lives without having to apoligise to scum every day.

reprazant wrote: »
    Agreed.

I wonder have these people actually left Dublin before.

Last time I was in Rome, my friend got his wallet & camera robbed, when in Barcelona two of my friends got wallets, cameras, watches and one got his runner robbed while on the metro, in Madrid a protest turned into a full scale riot between the knackers from the suburbs & the cops; In San Francisco, I saw one person getting shot and another getting stabbed my a midget, also junkies everywhere.

Nothing like that has ever happened to me in Dublin.

You sir have made my day.

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    I don't buy for a second that people aren't harassed by scum in Dublin regularly.
    For the two years I lived there I really, really wasn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

As I said, I'm in the city every single day and have been for the last 15 years, and I have never been hassled in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

knac attack. happens all the time in dublin. introduce them to Tallaght.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

Junkies, at least in my limited experience, are surprisingingly benign. A drunk guy in Dun Laoghaire shook my hand and told me to have a nice day a while back. Granted, I immediately went and washed my hands, but the sentiment was still there.

I'm not in town often enough to comment.

• Advertisement

I don't think you're lying...but seriously, you must be the two luckiest people in Dublin. I'm hassled almost every time I go in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭LarrytheLantern

having lived in Dublin for many years, I have never felt threatened in any way, except once at Landsdowne Road when we were attacked by those English footie hooligans.

i do agree though, large groups of chattering Spanish students can be most annoying, but it's no excuse to attack them.

Superbus wrote: »
    Junkies, at least in my limited experience, are surprisingingly benign.
    The junkies around where I worked in the north inner city were always very nice to me. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I've no bad experiences or even been approached by some undesirable in Dublin City Centre.
    And I do walk around Talbot St, Marlborough St and the boardwalk a lot ,it's a good walk home on a sunny evening and the birds are singing :)
    When did the boardwalk become a no go area?? Just walk confidently down it, nobody will go near you.

I've had worse trouble in Galway and got a few punches from a wino one evening.
    Not been in Eyre Sq for a long while now but you couldn't sit on a bench without some wino asking you for money, all they do is drink cider and hang around. You'd see fights at you waited as the train station, I assume Bus Eireann still use it as a depot.
    Fights every single night in Eyre Sq

Dublin is no worse then any other Irish city.

Edit, when I lived in Drumcondra, then Summerhill and Ballybough was my walking route home. Run down flats, a small shop with metal doors, it realy was a depressing walk and such a run-down, decriept and poor area.
    But for all the times I passed Croke Park villas and walked alleys there was no hassle, ever. I'm sure a lot here would not walk through Summerhill and Ballybough at night going on reputation but it's fine, did it for years.

I'm far from brave or foolhardy, just going on my experiences, that's all I have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Dudess wrote: »
    For the two years I lived there I really, really wasn't.
    As I said, I'm in the city every single day and have been for the last 15 years, and I have never been hassled in any way.
    I don't think you're lying...but seriously, you must be the two luckiest people in Dublin. I'm hassled almost every time I go in.

What counts as being hassled? Being asked for change? Verbally abused? Maybe it is all about perceptions?

When I worked in the city center I was asked for money every day multiple times, and to be honest, I found the do-gooder charity collectors more aggressive and annoying than the homeless people and addicts.

I found the do-gooder charity collectors more aggressive and annoying than the homeless people and addicts.
    Amen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

OP you wouldn't happen to be from an alternate universe where Spanish students are extremely well mannered and where Dublin is considered rougher then a combination of Rio de Janeiro & Johannesburg? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Whilst I admit I might be lucky to never have been hassled, I would have to think you're one of the most unlucky people to be hassled that often!
    What counts as being hassled? Being asked for change? Verbally abused? Maybe it is all about perceptions?

When I worked in the city center I was asked for money every day multiple times, and to be honest, I found the do-gooder charity collectors more aggressive and annoying than the homeless people and addicts.

I would not count someone asking for change as being hassled - so long as the person was completely non-threatening and moved on immediately once I decline. People sitting on the footpath begging are not hassling me. People walking up to me asking for a euro are not hassling me unless they persist or invade my personal space while asking - that has never happened. Verbal abuse of any kind I would class as hassle - again, this has never happened.

I agree that, if anything, the greatest scourge on Dublin's streets is chuggers!

As for the boardwalk - I never feel intimidated there. I do find it unpleasant, however, with the junkies hanging around - as I'll admit I don't enjoy seeing junkies. I've never had any actual bad experiences on the boardwalk though. It would be great if they could move the junkies on, however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I don't really consider being asked for change or begging as hassle unless somebody persists which they rarely do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

jordan.. wrote: »
    thats the real world we live in, you cant just put all the people you dont like onto a boat and push it out to seea!

I know we don't want another Australia !!

Advertisement