Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Students abused by scum.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

The problem is that the Police in this country turn a blind eye to smaller issues (such as public drinking in the Park and on the streets) and this emboldens the scum. The number of times I've walked through Stephen's Green with groups of scum openly getting plastered while members of the Police 'Force' walk on by, throwing a glance at a group and then ignoring them.

If you ignore the small crimes.....it just leads to a total lack of respect for the law in general.

The key to cleaning up Dublin City is Proactive policing.

At the moment we have neither Proactive nor Reactive policing......

I think that perhaps at times Gardai will pick an easy target. For example if they see a group of lads drinking who don't look particularly dangerous, they'll stop them, whereas if the group looked like total scum, the Garda may let it pass. This is just my perception.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭leg

a lady phoned called Carmel the Joe Duffy line on Friday, PHILIP BOUCHER-HAYES was fillling in for the bould Joe.

anyhow Carmel sounded a very reasonable, broad-minded type. she didn't seem to have any agenda to speak of.

she told of how she was on the Boardwalk when this 'er "young lady" dropped her kaks and proceeded to relieve herself. she went on to say unfortunately for the onlookers (most of whom were desperately trying not to look i reckon) it was this young lady's time of the month!!!:eek:

no city on earth does scummers like Dublin does scummers!;)

poor Philip was speechless ..........

I think i spak for everyone here when i say i just got a little bit sick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

I think that perhaps at times Gardai will pick an easy target. For example if they see a group of lads drinking who don't look particularly dangerous, they'll stop them, whereas if the group looked like total scum, the Garda may let it pass. This is just my perception.

I think you're bang on the money.

But they're paid to uphold the law. If they don't think they can 'handle' the group themselves, call for backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭futonic

she told of how she was on the Boardwalk when this 'er "young lady" dropped her kaks and proceeded to relieve herself.

I was walking by the boardwalk and I saw a woman drop her tracksuit and relieve herself on the footpath. I wonder was it the same scummer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Couldn't someone bear to get close enough to push her in the Liffey?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

it's stories like these which make me want to start a vigilante movement :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

We need to have an armed police force that are more likely to do something with the scumbags rather than just move them onto another area to harass more people.

All the Guards are too busy stopping people driving on provisionals and checking for tax. This duty should be given to a civilian who just takes their name and reg. The Guards should actually police the streets and do their job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭LarrytheLantern

JayEnnis wrote: »
    We need to have an armed police force that are more likely to do something with the scumbags rather than just move them onto another area to harass more people.

All the Guards are too busy stopping people driving on provisionals and checking for tax. This duty should be given to a civilian who just takes their name and reg. The Guards should actually police the streets and do their job.

i agree. in Paris, (where i visit often on business) they have military looking police units. trust me you do not want to cross these guys. they usually go around in groups of at least 10, and will knock 7 shades outta anyone that gives 'em attitude.

i would give almost anything to see these guys deal with our "boardwalk relieving lady".:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

The problem is that the Police in this country turn a blind eye to smaller issues (such as public drinking in the Park and on the streets) and this emboldens the scum. The number of times I've walked through Stephen's Green with groups of scum openly getting plastered while members of the Police 'Force' walk on by, throwing a glance at a group and then ignoring them.

If you ignore the small crimes.....it just leads to a total lack of respect for the law in general.

The key to cleaning up Dublin City is Proactive policing.

At the moment we have neither Proactive nor Reactive policing......

+1

Broken windows theory...it's all about sending them the right message, certain things will not be tolerated.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Turnstyle

+1

decent and zero tolerance policing is a good start, people who carry on in this fashion for whatever reason could easily be dealt with... someone who goes to the toilet on a pavement in a city centre is quite clearly not fit to be on the loose in any public area.

Over the last few years I have travelled to a lot of cities all over the world, walked about them at all hours and rarely had any hastle. Try this in Dublin if you dare... Sure every city will have rough areas if you go looking for them but in general the main central areas are safe to be in, its a relatively small number of people that are dragging the city down, sounds familiar in a supposedly modern Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Was in Dublin with my girlfriend there yesterday, couldn't get over the about of beggars on the streets. There always was a problem with this but in recent weeks its looking like its getting alot worse. We walked down Clarendon St we were approached by two junkheads trying to stop us because they wanted to ask a "question", we told them to fcuk off. Further down the same street we saw another shooting up on the street, in broad day light. Lovely stuff, for the rest of the day we were treated to beggars lining the streets of Dublin. You were lucky if you didn't come across one every two minutes walking. We were also approached by two more scummers on Middle Abbey St. later on that evening, but that is nothing new for that street. For all of the 7hours that we were in Dublin City, not once did we see a Guard out walking the streets.

I'm sure tourists love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

Ah the oul acceptable version of ethnic cleansing - erase the scummers!

Bear in mind you'll likely put Nike out of business though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Problem with the Gards is they're not intimidating in the slightest. Whenever you see them on patrol they don't appear intimidating, scary or "hard", most don't even look like they could put up a fight.

Yet when I was in Paris, Berlin, Prague, Costa Del Sol and Portugal, every policeman I came across looked strong and as if they'd have no problems knocking the shíte out of you if they had to.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

RMD wrote: »
    Problem with the Gards is they're not intimidating in the slightest. Whenever you see them on patrol they don't appear intimidating, scary or "hard", most don't even look like they could put up a fight.

Yet when I was in Paris, Berlin, Prague, Costa Del Sol and Portugal, every policeman I came across looked strong and as if they'd have no problems knocking the shíte out of you if they had to.

That's the problem, the training for guards is a joke.

Glorified security guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Loriharton

Carlos_Ray wrote: »
    I was basically referring to the general views on this site. If you say, Dublin is a kip ( Which it is, and I am from there), people will no doubt say ," you get scum everywhere" just so they seem balanced and fair. However, I grew up in many different countries ( due to my fathers job) and without a doubt, Dublin has the highest level of scum for a small western capital city.

True every City has scum, but come on, they basically patrol our main streets with impunity, drinking, drug taking , and abusing people. Its a disgrace.

You're right-scum knackers are actually starting to run this city and soon will be completely if nothing is done about it. The problem is, everyone is so afraid these scumbags will pull a knife on them if they dare say anything to them so everyone just stays quiet, which is understandable-obviously getting stabbed isn't worth it. Also, it's not everyday citizen's responsibility to stand up to these knacks, it's the government, the guards, the councils etc., it's like they just haven't noticed how bad it has become here or decided to ignore it hoping it'll go away when in reality it'll just get worse. Of course there's scumbags everywhere but that's not the point, the point is they're ruining Dublin city and something needs to be done about it. The fact is, Dublin has one of the highest (if not the highest I'm not 100% on this) population of junkies in Europe. Surely something can be done about that at least. And no I don't think calling them scumbags or knackers is harsh when you're in Dublin city everyday and see how they act, and moreso what they think they can get away with. It's absolutely disgusting.

• Hazys wrote: »
    Lol, first response is "Well, they do it in Spain too".

Whats is this first class debating? "Well they do it too" argument will really help improve downtown dublin.

+1

Why do Irish people have to constantly pull out the 'they do it in X place' argument? Even if it were true, who cares? It doesn't make it any more acceptable.
    Einhard wrote: »
    I think the reason you don't see them in Spain is because you don't know what to look out for. The scumbags in Dublin are generally easy to spot because we expect the dirty little fringes plastered down the forehead, the scanger strut, and high pitched accent, the unhealthy looking faces. They actually conform to a stereotype which is decent of them as it makes them easier to avoid. In Spain, it's probably the same, with the locals immediately spotting the scumbags where a visiter mightn't spot anything too out of the ordinary.

I used to live in Spain and I never saw skangers around. I never got harrassed by randomers, except for one incident in Malaga where a junkie came up to me at an outdoor cafe and asked for change. She was polite and wished me a good day when I declined. It stands out in my mind because it was ONE time - in Dublin this is a daily occurrence. Sure, Spain has its share of pickpockets, gypsies, drifters, whatever, but I never felt intimidated and never got bothered while going about my business. And I lived in a place with a lot of gypsies, with the locals going on about how dangerous it was. Still loads safer than Dublin.
    prinz wrote: »
    I love the fact that people have been using comparisons such as Paris, Johannesburg, Rio de Janeiro and San Francisco.......... let's try a comparative by populationm size perhaps :rolleyes:

In the States I have offered money and food to people which was always gratefully accepted.

Can remember almost ever incident I did witness, the vast majority of which involved police/bystanders fairly quickly. People just don't stand for it.

On the other hand people willfully ignore and excuse it here. Too many examples to mention, tbh from being followed down Talbot St by a scummer screaming at me because I had no cigarette to give him, to being told by a small group of about 12-14 years olds that they were going to 'get me' when I got involved in a situation on a bus, to just the other day when my OH was on the 16A airport bus (i.e. the one many many tourists get to and from the city) and there was about 10 knackers on the bus, some with their feet up on the double seats, shouting abuse (racial and sexuality and nationality orientated) at other passengers, throwing bottles of Coke etc up and down the bus. Bus driver said/did nothing, despite being fully aware what was going on. Being kicked from behind outside Trinity, I assume because a few moments prior I had refused to buy drink for another waste of space, apparently as a gift. Here bud ya wouldn't buy us a 6 pack of anythin wudya? Eh no **** Off.

For low level general scumbagger and anti-social behaviour Dublin is by far the worst place I have ever lived.

I agree especially with the bolded part. People in other countries just don't stand for it. New Yorkers are especially quick to try to stop people getting away with stuff, or to help victims of crime. I witnessed people intervening when someone tried to steal another passenger's bag on the subway, when a group of young men were getting rowdy and intimidating, when I almost got hit by a car on a crossing, several people were outraged and tried to take the license plate number down. There isn't the sense that it's OK to be a scumbag there. Sure, crime happens, but the majority of people take it seriously and don't write it off as 'ah sure, its nothing.'

I witnessed a fight between two African women on the Brussels metro and when one lunged at the other, several people immediately intervened. Just normal people going to work, they said 'pas dans le metro!' and made it clear that scummy behaviour had no place there. I'm 99% sure that if it had happened on the DART or Dublin Bus, people would have just sat there pretending it wasn't happening.
    carlop wrote: »

You're right and isn't that bloody pathetic? They're the POLICE. Sorting out criminals/scum is their JOB. If they can't do it, they shouldn't be guards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

Turnstyle wrote: »
    +1

Over the last few years I have travelled to a lot of cities all over the world, walked about them at all hours and rarely had any hastle. Try this in Dublin if you dare... Sure every city will have rough areas if you go looking for them but in general the main central areas are safe to be in, its a relatively small number of people that are dragging the city down, sounds familiar in a supposedly modern Ireland

Thats the crux of the matter. Dublins main streets are infested. I have never withnessed the level of scum in the main areas of any other city. The police across Europe seem to have enough savvy to keep these areas clear for the citizens and tourists to enjoy. It appears that Guards just don't want the hassle of managing the filth.

I have often seen guards asking harmless looking teenagers, tourists to stop drinking in the streets of Dublin ( and rightly so), however, they never seem to do the same to the serious looking heads that hang around the boardwalk, O'Connell street and Abbey street. Fair enough nobody wants to stand near these people, but surely if you're a guard it s your responsibility to ensure that people feel comfortable in the capitals main areas.

Walking down abbey street on a summers day is like passing through a institute for the criminally insane sponsored by Jeremy Kyle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

easyeason3 wrote: »
    And by the way Carlos Ray those foreign students are ignorant little fcukers. They think they own the fcuking footpaths.
    And theres always a few of them wearing glasses that look like something from the 70's.
    And they wear backpacks everywhere, they probably sleep with a bag on their back.
    And for students that come over to emerse themselves in Irish culture they seem to give most of the time walking around in packs not really doing anything.

And the Irish education system has failed easyeason3, who should know better than to start one, nevermind four sentences, with the word "And". Apologies, but with so much talk of extermination on these pages I just couldn't hold back the grammar nazi within.
    This is not peculiar to Dublin. I had my wallet taken, emptied and handed back to me in Barcelona a few years ago. That was in Port Olimpico. The city centre is even worse, we stayed in a hostel off Las Ramblas then and trying to keep drug dealers and prostitutes out of the hostel foyer at night was like keeping the zombies off Will Smith in I Am Legend. They're in your pockets before you know it and they're impossible to keep off.
    Chavs dominate most of England's high streets. You don't have to be in a big city like London or Manchester to feel intimidated by their presence, towns in Essex, Lancashire and all over the midlands have little to do bellends making life a misery for locals and tourists alike.
    Beggars and crackheads make public transport unbearable in California's cities. If you think anything you've ever seen on a Dublin Bus to be unusual, try repelling bible bashers, homeless people covered in scars and boils and people who haven't been sober in years when you're getting a bus around San Diego, Los Angeles or San Francisco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

i would chip in if we were going to pay a man with a pistol and silencer to shoot every junkhead that comes out of a methadone clinic and dispose of the bodies

also clear both sides of the liffey and reclaim it for normal people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭LarrytheLantern

the really sad thing is these scummers are "rearing" kids on the streets.
    doubtless to carry on that fine Auld Dublin tradition of exposing yerself to passing tourists.

i think there is a very serious case to be made for sterilization here.
    these people ought not to be procreating.

• Advertisement

• Carlos_Ray wrote: »
    Thats the crux of the matter. Dublins main streets are infested. I have never withnessed the level of scum in the main areas of any other city. The police across Europe seem to have enough savvy to keep these areas clear for the citizens and tourists to enjoy. It appears that Guards just don't want the hassle of managing the filth.

I have often seen guards asking harmless looking teenagers, tourists to stop drinking in the streets of Dublin ( and rightly so), however, they never seem to do the same to the serious looking heads that hang around the boardwalk, O'Connell street and Abbey street. Fair enough nobody wants to stand near these people, but surely if you're a guard it s your responsibility to ensure that people feel comfortable in the capitals main areas.

Walking down abbey street on a summers day is like passing through a institute for the criminally insane sponsored by Jeremy Kyle

Well, that's what's so annoying. I went to a birthday picnic for a middle aged friend in Merrion Square a few years ago and we were asked to stop drinking immediately (we had plastic glasses of champagne). We were totally harmless looking, bothering nobody, but the guards would rather pick on us instead of the people who actually do cause the problems? I'm not suggesting that polite looking/middle class people should get special treatment, but neither should the scummers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

[quote=[Deleted User];67002510]Well, that's what's so annoying. I went to a birthday picnic for a middle aged friend in Merrion Square a few years ago and we were asked to stop drinking immediately (we had plastic glasses of champagne). We were totally harmless looking, bothering nobody, but the guards would rather pick on us instead of the people who actually do cause the problems? I'm not suggesting that polite looking/middle class people should get special treatment, but neither should the scummers.[/QUOTE]

If you threaten to stab the Gardai when they ask you to do anything at all then they'll soon only deal with you when they really really have to.

Also you'll get to see a lot more courthouses which is great if you have an interest in courthouses.
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

This city is under siege and has been for a long long time. Actually just not Dublin city but many of the suburbs, towns etc. Noting progressive is done to rectify - heaps of money thrown at regeneration projects which aren't working. The Garda are terrified of the junkies and their associates. The city stinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Edit, when I lived in Drumcondra, then Summerhill and Ballybough was my walking route home. Run down flats, a small shop with metal doors, it realy was a depressing walk and such a run-down, decriept and poor area.
    But for all the times I passed Croke Park villas and walked alleys there was no hassle, ever. I'm sure a lot here would not walk through Summerhill and Ballybough at night going on reputation but it's fine, did it for years.

I'm far from brave or foolhardy, just going on my experiences, that's all I have

The one time I've been robbed (well kinda robbed-its a bit of a long story) was just between Summerhill and Parnell Street and that was the only time I've been up there in the last 2 years I'd say so just goes to show everyone has a different experience).
    maninasia wrote: »
    So...that's okay then? Spanish and Italian cities are not a good reference point, full of gypsies, neither is San Fran which is famous for having loads of junkies and homeless in the central area.

Most cities in the Western world wouldn't have the junkie problem Dublin has, and in Asia they are practically unknown. This was a major problem in the 80s when I was growing up in Dublin and I am shocked and distressed that the situation has not improved!
    Why would they not be fair reference points??? They're both European countries????

Try walking around relatively central parts of Mumbai or Bangkok if you think Asian cities don't have big crime issues.
    IV never seen that sort of thing in Spain and i have been around a lot of different parts over there you do get scum bags i agree but the police dont tolarate any **** over there they just bring them in and there is allways a large police presence as well there's to many do gooders in this country:mad:

I've seen it in Barcelona and Seville and robbing people is seen as a misdemenour in Spain rather than a felony (sorry for using American terms :P) so rounding them up doesn't do much good-they're back on the streets fairly quick.
    Dr. Zeus wrote: »
    I have lived in a few different and very dodgy cities and while I agree that Dublin is no worse than a lot of other places in terms of undesirables etc, it does seem more in your face here. It may be due to the fact that Dublin is quite small in size that it seems that the undesirables are everywhere. Of course everyone should be free to go where they please, what I am specifically referring to is those that intimidate, provoke trouble and have no respect for others around them.

For example in American cities, gang bangers, drug dealers etc tend to stay in their own 'hoods so you don't always find them in the tourist places, main shopping streets etc. The police would be quick to move them on anyway. I have been harassed waking down Baggot St, grafton Street, O'Connell street, Stephen's green.

What I have noticed in Dublin is that you go to a free event (festival, fireworks whatever) there are always a few maybe even a lot of trouble makers who ruin the event for everyone. There is little the police can do do they seem to ignore them.

Dublin is a great city it's such a shame that more can't be done to make it more civilised at times!

Spot on the money here.
    carlop wrote: »

When I was younger I was drinking in a park with friends while a group of scumbags were on the far side. There wasn't any trouble between us but then some guards arrived and proceeded to tell us to stop drinking and wouldn't approach the scangers who were doign the exact same thing :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭I_AmThe_Walrus

Carlos, I agree with you.

But this is what I was trying to convey in the other thread where we may of disagreed? Small-mindedness in our society is killing what we should be.

Ireland is full of xenophobes, racists and homophobes - it's a lasting trait the church has instilled in us, with little outside communication and "I'm better than you because you're a foreigner" attitude.

Pathetic.

Like I said, I love being Irish. I'm proud of the land, but not it's modern society.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

I don't think Italian and Spanish cities are a good reference simply because they've got so many gypsies running around. When my friend was pickpocketed in Rome it was a gypsy. They also have a lot of very poor illegal immigrants from Africa. They do have junkies that hang out at the train stations there aswell of course.
    We should be aspiring to levels of security and safety like Northern mainland Europe.
    I blame the attitudes of 'too PC to do anything' and the Guards not being tough enough. Somebody from the top needs to send a message that things are going to change, just like Rudy Giuliani in the 90s in NYC (gets out the nightstick and puts on the flak jacket, only joking!).

BTW, Asian cities in general are very safe. The vast majority of China, Taiwan, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam..not a bother. Especially Asian-Pacific countries, death penalty to drug dealers! That and people don't expect hand-outs....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

whatever about scums everywhere in every continent the simple solution to scumsinireland.com is to just neuter them all, from an early age.

scum offspring should be all prevented from mutating more scum, then by ca 2030 Ireland should have much less scum.

its not rocket science.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

The one time I've been robbed (well kinda robbed-its a bit of a long story) was just between Summerhill and Parnell Street and that was the only time I've been up there in the last 2 years I'd say so just goes to show everyone has a different experience).

Why would they not be fair reference points??? They're both European countries????

Try walking around relatively central parts of Mumbai or Bangkok if you think Asian cities don't have big crime issues.

I've seen it in Barcelona and Seville and robbing people is seen as a misdemenour in Spain rather than a felony (sorry for using American terms :P) so rounding them up doesn't do much good-they're back on the streets fairly quick.

Spot on the money here.

When I was younger I was drinking in a park with friends while a group of scumbags were on the far side. There wasn't any trouble between us but then some guards arrived and proceeded to tell us to stop drinking and wouldn't approach the scangers who were doign the exact same thing :mad:

so we normal people should just act scummish so..? :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Dublin city centre is a sh1t hole, fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

Magill wrote: »
    everywhere is a sh1t hole, fact.

sorry had to fix it for ye, its true though, DCC is a sh1thole, but it like anywhere else is only what you make of it.

Advertisement