Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Students abused by scum.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭falipo

Oink wrote: »
    :confused:

So they'll be doing the same thing, just somewhere else. I can't think of a public place where it would be ok for them to act like they do.

I take it you've never been to Navan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

Magill wrote: »
    Dublin city centre is a sh1t hole, fact.

I agree with this, unfortunately,some genius came up with the idea of integrated council flat tower blocks into the city centre, where a percentage of scum would come from (*not all scum, i have friends who live in the flats). these are well hidden....but definitely contributes to scum volume....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭turbobaby

bonerm wrote: »
    I was thinking we could put a sniper on top of the spire who has the legal right to shoot any person within 1000 yards of his position that falls under all of the following parameters:

1) wearing a tracksuit
    2) standing in place for more than 2minutes
    3) holding a bottle of fanta.

Beautiful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

so we normal people should just act scummish so..? :):)

We'd blend in with them so the scum wouldn't think of hassling us...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

turbobaby wrote: »
    Beautiful!

standing in place more than 2 mins

lololz

quality

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

Chinasea wrote: »
    This city is under siege and has been for a long long time.

It really isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

maninasia wrote: »
    I don't think Italian and Spanish cities are a good reference simply because they've got so many gypsies running around. When my friend was pickpocketed in Rome it was a gypsy. They also have a lot of very poor illegal immigrants from Africa. They do have junkies that hang out at the train stations there aswell of course.
    We should be aspiring to levels of security and safety like Northern mainland Europe.

I lived in Spain for a year, in a neighborhood heavily populated by North and West African immigrants, and it was quite safe. There were certain streets that I avoided because they were open-air hash markets, but I was NEVER hassled for money, and there weren't users all over the place (although people openly smoked hash in some of the after-hours bars).

Even in parts of the Madrid city center where prostitutes openly operate, it is rare to be hassled for money, or to feel physically threatened.
    maninasia wrote: »
    I blame the attitudes of 'too PC to do anything' and the Guards not being tough enough. Somebody from the top needs to send a message that things are going to change, just like Rudy Giuliani in the 90s in NYC (gets out the nightstick and puts on the flak jacket, only joking!)..

I would agree; a lot of the guards in the city center look like they snuck out of the house with their daddy's uniform on. They shouldn't be afraid to tell people to move it along. I'm amazed when I hear stories about hoodlums attacking the guards - in the US, they will KICK THE **** OUT OF YOU all the way to the police station if you attack them while being arrested...and the judge will throw the book at you in court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

There were certain streets that I avoided because they were open-air hash markets

:eek::eek::eek:

:(:(:(

It really isn't.

It really is though. It's a horrible place, full of junkies and scum. I'm sure some people think junkies stumbling up to your face and asking for money is fine, but I certainly don't feel like a trip into the capital of our country should involve navigating a junkie/scum minefield.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    It really is though. It's a horrible place, full of junkies and scum. I'm sure some people think junkies stumbling up to your face and asking for money is fine, but I certainly don't feel like a trip into the capital of our country should involve navigating a junkie/scum minefield.

Yep. Quick trip into city centre last Saturday, in there for about 2 hours and had three instances of blatant anti-social scumbaggery.. are there still people in Dublin blind to this type of thing?

(1) walking down Henry St and wife's leg was spat on by a passing group of young girls.
    (2) Young scummer outside a certain good time emporium on O'Connell St was confronting people (again mostly tourists from what I could tell, families with small kids, elderly couples etc) walking down the street, standing in front of them, stepping side to side and swining his arms blocking their passage, getting a laugh from his halfwit buddies as he finally got out of their way.
    (3) Another bus experience, with a wannabe gangster, abusing people looking for a smoke.

• Advertisement

reprazant wrote: »
    In San Francisco, I saw one person getting shot and another getting stabbed by a midget.

Good times.

Rojomcdojo wrote: »

It isn't.

And no, I don't think it's fine to be asked for money, I just say no and walk on. what I don't do is run straight to the nearest PC and register my disgust on the internet.

There were certain streets that I avoided because they were open-air hash markets, .
    Pace2008 wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek:

:(:(:(

That had less to do with hash and more to do with the fact that walking through a crowd of 15-20 young men who stop everything they are doing to stare at your bewbs is an uncomfortable experience, no matter what they are selling. :rolleyes:

• It isn't.

And no, I don't think it's fine to be asked for money, I just say no and walk on. what I don't do is run straight to the nearest PC and register my disgust on the internet.

By saying you don't think it's a big deal and that others are overreacting, you're implying you think it's fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

[quote=[Deleted User];67020314]By saying you don't think it's a big deal and that others are overreacting, you're implying you think it's fine.[/QUOTE] That's a bit of a false dichotomy.
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

[quote=[Deleted User];67020314]By saying you don't think it's a big deal and that others are overreacting, you're implying you think it's fine.[/QUOTE]

You're making assumptions. and when you do that you make an "ass out of "u" and "mptions".

I think it's an issue that needs being addressed, but I'm not going to make it sound like a Sindo article saying that dublin city is "under siege" and that the "junkies will take over". thread is full of wannabe Travis Bickles.

If you see scumbag behaviour, tell a guard. If they do nothing about it, then there's a more serious issue than some one who makes you uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

thread is full of wannabe Travis Bickles..

:pac: ...and that's why nothing will improve tbh. You don't have to be Travis Bickle to acknowledge it is a serious issue in Dublin City.

• You're making assumptions. and when you do that you make an "ass out of "u" and "mptions".

I think it's an issue that needs being addressed, but I'm not going to make it sound like a Sindo article saying that dublin city is "under siege" and that the "junkies will take over". thread is full of wannabe Travis Bickles.

If you see scumbag behaviour, tell a guard. If they do nothing about it, then there's a more serious issue than some one who makes you uncomfortable.

No, I'm not. I'm using the information here in front of me. You're saying people are being too dramatic about this and that you can just say no when asked for change. This kind of constant downplaying of the situation is why Dublin is in the state it's in. At least the people complaining about it are raising awareness about how bad it is. People are saying the guards are useless. I've already reported several incidents, and then several guards for doing sweet FA about them. Just because I'm complaining here doesn't mean I'm not actually doing anything about it. I am fairly sure that if most Dubliners didn't have the 'meh, it's not that bad' attitude and turn the other way all the time, it would be a much nicer city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

[quote=[Deleted User];67020641]No, I'm not. I'm using the information here in front of me. You're saying people are being too dramatic about this and that you can just say no when asked for change. This kind of constant downplaying of the situation is why Dublin is in the state it's in. At least the people complaining about it are raising awareness about how bad it is. People are saying the guards are useless. I've already reported several incidents, and then several guards for doing sweet FA about them. Just because I'm complaining here doesn't mean I'm not actually doing anything about it. I am fairly sure that if most Dubliners didn't have the 'meh, it's not that bad' attitude and turn the other way all the time, it would be a much nicer city.[/QUOTE]

It's like this is a lot of European cities though, people seem to think it's only a problem in Dublin. I feel sorry for people who get so upset over someone asking them for money.

• It's like this is a lot of European cities though, people seem to think it's only a problem in Dublin. I feel sorry for people who get so upset over someone asking them for money.

No, it isn't. I've lived all over the place and I've never seen levels of scum like those in Dublin. And here we go AGAIN with the 'ah it's only people asking for money.' If that's all it was, do you really think this many people would be so wound up about it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

[quote=[Deleted User];67022251]No, it isn't. I've lived all over the place and I've never seen levels of scum like those in Dublin. And here we go AGAIN with the 'ah it's only people asking for money.' If that's all it was, do you really think this many people would be so wound up about it?[/QUOTE]

There were all over the place in Rome, gypsies asking for money or harassing you to buy their ****. I've heard train station in Paris are the same if not worse. Couldn't walk through the red light district without being offered drugs, bloody annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

I haven't been to any other city that has a board walk in the heart of their city that is openly used as a drug hyper market and public toilet.

There were all over the place in Rome, gypsies asking for money or harassing you to buy their ****. I've heard train station in Paris are the same if not worse. Couldn't walk through the red light district without being offered drugs, bloody annoying.

Um, what do you expect to happen in a red light district? And the fact that we would even be comparing what happens in the red light districts of Europe's major cities to what happens on the main "boulevard" of Dublin is a sign of a problem!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Um, what do you expect to happen in a red light district? And the fact that we would even be comparing what happens in the red light districts of Europe's major cities to what happens on the main "boulevard" of Dublin is a sign of a problem!

In fairness the Ramblas (main street) in Barcelona can be dodgy enough as you get nearer to the port even during the daytime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Chinasea wrote: »
    I haven't been to any other city that has a board walk in the heart of their city that is openly used as a drug hyper market and public toilet.

+1.

Why the guards don't come down heavy on the scrotes hanging around it I'll never know. If we could clean up the area from parnell street all the way to Pearse Street we would have a much nice city. And by clean up I mean a heavier Garda presence who are not afraid to tell scumbags to fúck off home or spend a night in jail.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

+1.

Why the guards don't come down heavy on the scrotes hanging around it I'll never know. If we could clean up the area from parnell street all the way to Pearse Street we would have a much nice city. And by clean up I mean a heavier Garda presence who are not afraid to tell scumbags to fúck off home or spend a night in jail.
    because we have overcrowded prisons and rookies on the beat in the inner city

• Registered Users Posts: 39 AshtownGuy

I think we just need to pressure our politicians into action here. More gardaí patrolling the boardwalk would be a good start.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭SEANYBOY1

AshtownGuy wrote: »
    I think we just need to pressure our politicians into action here. More gardaí patrolling the boardwalk would be a good start.

Is there not a tilt on the board walk which could be engaged by pressing a switch thus emptying the scum into the river

gurramok wrote: »
    Clean up the justice system and actually police the area properly.

The boardwalk is a no-go area, maybe move the drug clinics to a posh part of D4 and you'll be guaranteed you will find action being taken! :D

NEWSFLASH: there is actually a methadone clinic and a needle exchange in Baggot Street Hospital smack bang in the middle of D4. You can see the Zombies around lunch time at the crossroads of Upper Baggot St and Mespil Road.
    They should be interned n' shot. Full stop
    we should ship them off to somewhere remote and desolate where we don't have to look at them.

yes, this is a Roscommon joke.

Roscommon it is so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭bytey

errr,

shouldnt we be gassing the politicians , before we start looking at the scumbags ?

you all seem to have your priorities backwards.

the simple thing is for the cops to do their job and crack down viciously
    ( using fcuking sticks if need be ) on the scum bags .

but i still think gassing our government is a good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

Those students are annoying as ****. Is it a rule in Spain that everyone has to talk over each other all at once and in the loudest voice possible?

Chill out mate, they're young and excited. Let them yammer on like chatterboxes. Ever see 13 year-old school girls when they all get together on some junket or day out?

Advertisement