Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lord of the Rings Online Free!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Why ? Can anyone shed some light on this ?

I played LOTRO when It was first released, think i was up to lvl40 or something, stopped because of subscriptions etc (makes you feel obliged to play to get your moneys worth)

Is it going for a Free to Play - but pay for Items, extra/better gear kind of angle ??

Does it mean all the expansions are F2P too ?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The basic game is free to play, but the expansions will have to be paid for.

If you've already bought the expansions though.

I suppose my main question is WHY, have the number of subscriptions declined that much ?

If you've already bought the expansions then you don't have to pay again. I think the subscriber base was solid, if unspectacular but they saw the massive increase that going free to play had on Dungeons and Dragons Online in both players and revenue generated, and decided they had to get in on the act.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Hopefully a lot more MMO's will follow suit. The likes of WoW will never have to go that way, but this kind of deal could save the likes of Warhammer Online, which I thought wa a fantastic game but jsut didn't have enough to hold people. This type of thing would draw in a load of new players and occasionally paying for something is better than a standard rate per month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Polar101

I'm confused.. what exactly is "in beta"? This new model of subscription?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,463 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

not sure but i would say it is a beta for a micropayment version of the original game as indicated by an offer of free points which i presume can be bought for cash monies

Isn't Guild Wars 2 expected to be released in the coming months ?

Maybe its to pre-empt fans of other MMO's who would be going to that F2P system over subscriptions

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Isn't Guild Wars 2 expected to be released in the coming months ?

Maybe its to pre-empt fans of other MMO's who would be going to that F2P system over subscriptions

Turbine have said the reason LOTRO is going f2p is down to the success of dungeons and dragons online after it went f2p which is also a turbine title,it has over a million players now compared to less than 200k subscribers to lotro.
    Considering lotro is far superior to DDO it may be a shrewd move.
    Get players playing the basic game,they may enjoy and and wish to buy the expansions etc.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'll be coming back, thats for sure. I enjoyed the game, but i was heavily into Warcraft and Eve at the time of its release, and three monthly subscriptions were too much.

• Advertisement

Kiith wrote: »
    I'll be coming back, thats for sure. I enjoyed the game, but i was heavily into Warcraft and Eve at the time of its release, and three monthly subscriptions were too much.

I was the same. Actually went back to it a couple of months ago after leaving WOW and it's improved a lot. I really like the fact that you could realistically solo to the max level without ever feeling like you're missing out, it's much closer to a traditional RPG than the likes of WOW and feels all the better for it.

Advertisement