Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-campus accomodation - 1st year!

Options
  • 15-07-2010 2:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭

Heya, I was wondering if anyone could recommend some off-campus accomodation that would be suitable for a 1st year? Ideally, I would have liked to have gotten on-campus accomodation, but I'm 910 on the list and I highly doubt I'll get it :( Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Isn't there over 700 places? There'll be people on the list in front of you who won't get UCD so anyone in the top 1000 has a good chance imo.

I suppose 'digs' are the best off-campus accomodation for a first year until you get your bearings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Sefirah

Oooh you think I'm in with a chance? I thought I was screwed because I'm so far down the list? Fingers crossed though! I really don't want to stay in digs, though- it limits the amount of other students I can meet and a lot of the time they seem pretty.... strict...!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Sefirah wrote: »
    Oooh you think I'm in with a chance? I thought I was screwed because I'm so far down the list? Fingers crossed though! I really don't want to stay in digs, though- it limits the amount of other students I can meet and a lot of the time they seem pretty.... strict...!

Yeah definitely in with a chance. Even people who put Trinity or NUI Maynooth, DCU, anywhere above UCD will be on that list. Also even people who have UCD as number 1 wont all get the points they need. There'll be people repeating the leaving as well. Even people who do get accomodation on campus may not take it because they get cheaper accomodation off campus. There's people in the 1600s and they reckon they will get into on-campus accom. And they could well do.

Digs seem strict. That's why parents love them. Lights out by 9 o clock :D

Have a look at www.daft.ie and see what's on offer for off-campus.

Ahhhh that's sweet! Thank god- at least it's some consolation! Thanks! :) Hehe ahhhhh, so true about the digs- my mom was delighted that there was no chance of 'visitors' lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

As well as that, if you are on a waiting list after college starts, when the second round offers come out a bunch of spaces will fire up. It's how I got in when I was in first year.

• Advertisement

Ooooh really? I hope I won't have to wait that long, since I'll already have something else arranged by then, but still...! Do you remember how far up the list you were?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

This was a couple years ago, so the lists were based on distance, not when you got on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

OP are you looking for a particular area to recommend or an accomodation type???

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭YouthNovel

What areas around UCD would you recommend, and what is the average price for digs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

YouthNovel wrote: »
    What areas around UCD would you recommend, and what is the average price for digs?

Ranelagh, Clonskeagh, Booterstown, Mount Merrion, Stillorgan and Donnybrook are all great areas to live in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

YouthNovel wrote: »
    what is the average price for digs?
    Actually I'd be curious to know this as well.

Advertisement