Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with translation please.

Options
  • 15-07-2010 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭

Hi there.

A friend of our family's mother has died recently and they are German. I thought it would be nice to write the mass card in German. I used google translate but just wanted to check it first, sometimes that can be hit and miss.

I want to say;

Dear XXXX,

We are very sorry to hear of your loss. Our thoughts and sympathy's are with you and your family at this sad time.

Love,

XXXXXX & XXXXXX

What I got from google translate is this;

Liebe XXXXXX,

Wir freuen uns sehr leid, von eurem Verlust zu hören. Unsere Gedanken und unser Mitgefühl ist mit Ihnen und Ihrer Familie in dieser traurigen Zeit.

Love,

XXXXXXX & XXXXXX

Could any German speakers please tell me if this reads ok, or prehaps suggest a better way of saying it?

Thank you very much for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭John C

Fiend-Foe wrote: »
    Hi there.

A friend of our family's mother has died recently and they are German. I thought it would be nice to write the mass card in German. I used google translate but just wanted to check it first, sometimes that can be hit and miss.

I want to say;

Dear XXXX,

We are very sorry to hear of your loss. Our thoughts and sympathy's are with you and your family at this sad time.

Love,

XXXXXX & XXXXXX

What I got from google translate is this;

Liebe XXXXXX,

Wir freuen uns sehr leid, von eurem Verlust zu hören. Unsere Gedanken und unser Mitgefühl ist mit Ihnen und Ihrer Familie in dieser traurigen Zeit.

Love,

XXXXXXX & XXXXXX

Could any German speakers please tell me if this reads ok, or prehaps suggest a better way of saying it?

Thank you very much for your help.

Liebe XXXXXX,

Es tut uns sehr leid, von Eurem Verlust zu hören. Unsere Gedanken und unser Mitgefühl ist mit Euch und Eurer Familie in dieser traurigen Zeit.

Liebe Grüße,

XXXXXXX und XXXXXX

It is great that you did not rely on Google Translate.
    Wir freuen uns sehr leid is like we are glad to be sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Fiend-Foe

Hi John,

That's great! Thanks a million for your help, I really appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭John C

You could also formulate it as:

This is for addressing one member of the family.
    Shown by the familiar "dir", one person is addressed
    Die Nachricht vom Tod deiner lieben Mutter hat mich und meine Familie sehr getroffen. Wir sprechen dir unser tief empfundenes Beileid aus.

This sounds like:
    The news of the death of your dear mother saddened my family and me very much. We extend to you our deep felt sympathy.

If there are two+ persons in the family being addressed.
    Die Nachricht vom Tod eurer lieben Mutter hat mich und meine Familie sehr getroffen. Wir sprechen euch unser tief empfundenes Beileid aus.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Fiend-Foe

John C wrote: »
    You could also formulate it as:

This is for addressing one member of the family.
    Shown by the familiar "dir", one person is addressed
    Die Nachricht vom Tod deiner lieben Mutter hat mich und meine Familie sehr getroffen. Wir sprechen dir unser tief empfundenes Beileid aus.

This sounds like:
    The news of the death of your dear mother saddened my family and me very much. We extend to you our deep felt sympathy.

If there are two+ persons in the family being addressed.
    Die Nachricht vom Tod eurer lieben Mutter hat mich und meine Familie sehr getroffen. Wir sprechen euch unser tief empfundenes Beileid aus.

Thanks for that mate but I have sent it as above already.

They know I can't speak the language so I'm sure they'll be happy with the gesture, it's not really important, just the thought that counts etc. I just wanted to make sure google translate didn't say something really horrible!!

Really appreciate you taking the time to put that together for me though, nice one!

Advertisement