Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dundalk could get FTTH in the future

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

The up to 100Mbit is probably misleading. From what I know it could be a lot more but im not 100% certain what kit was deployed to light the LCC fibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭rob808

Chaz wrote: »
    The up to 100Mbit is probably misleading. From what I know it could be a lot more but im not 100% certain what kit was deployed to light the LCC fibre.
    sorry i meant they get 100mb down but probably only get 80mb to 90mb on there fibre connections and the upload probably be 10mb up but they could do 100/100 up and down on FTTH connection. if they wanted to in the future.

rob808 wrote: »
    sorry i meant they get 100mb down but probably only get 80mb to 90mb on there fibre connections and the upload probably be 10mb up but they could do 100/100 up and down on FTTH connection. if they wanted to in the future.

The larger the 'pipe' the less apparent contention is. Figures of 99% or more of 'full capacity' are not unusual on fibre networks.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I've pointed out this statistical issue before.

10:1 contention on a system that can only support 3 people at full speed can easily have no people or 30 people at once. Disaster. (Mobile)

10:1 contention on a system that supports 500 people at full speed is unlikely to have zero people or 5000 people at once. It may appear contention free.

(Contention ratios not on actual connections, but number of subscriptions sold per resource)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭rob808

watty wrote: »
    I've pointed out this statistical issue before.

10:1 contention on a system that can only support 3 people at full speed can easily have no people or 30 people at once. Disaster. (Mobile)

10:1 contention on a system that supports 500 people at full speed is unlikely to have zero people or 5000 people at once. It may appear contention free.

(Contention ratios not on actual connections, but number of subscriptions sold per resource)
    maybe h20 could use exemplar network technology to help with contention.http://www.siliconrepublic.com/innovation/item/16994-irelands-next-big-thing/

• Advertisement

rob808 wrote: »
    maybe h20 could use exemplar network technology to help with contention.http://www.siliconrepublic.com/innovation/item/16994-irelands-next-big-thing/

Not needed - there's more than enough capacity within the H20 designed networks.

Advertisement