Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of renting in Phibsborough

Options
  • 15-07-2010 2:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Could someone let me know what Phibsborough is like to live in? Up from the country so don't know Dublin very well. Want somewhere safe, with a good community spirit. Many thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

deise4ever wrote: »
    Could someone let me know what Phibsborough is like to live in? Up from the country so don't know Dublin very well. Want somewhere safe, with a good community spirit. Many thanks.

Have you chosen phibsborough for definite, or are you just looking in the general area?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 deise4ever

Have seen lovely newly refurbished house in Shandon Park area and just wondering what it would be like to live there

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Close to the city, shopping centre, Botanic Gardens, a number of good pubs. Only drawback would be the traffic I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

the village centre's very run down but otherwise it's okay

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

It's okay. But many weirdos cause of the Mater Hospital and the Joy + copshop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭fascination

Recently moved there myself. I find it great, everything you need on the doorstep. The Tesco isn't great but you're so near town and there's a Lidl up the Finglas Road. There's a Dublin Bikes station at the Mater and I use them all the time to get into town. Loads of buses service the area too. There's plenty of places for eating too - McDs, Eddies, Burdocks, The Woodstock Cafe and the Porterhouse and Hedigans aren't bad either!

The Shandon area as a great community spirit - there's a very proactive residents committee. At the moment you'll see bunting erected in the streets and this was for a recent area party. Parking can be a bit of a nightmare at times as it's all free - it can clog up when there's a match on in Dalymount.

You get weirdos but there's a great mix of people. I never been bothered by anyone. I definitely recommend the area to anyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,318 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Within walking distance of McGowan's, too ........

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

I've lived in Phibsborough for the past two years and highly recommend it. It's 15 minutes walk to town, has all the amenities you need (tesco, off licence, good pubs, pitch and putt course beside shandon!), and has few nice parks and the botanic gardens nearby. The area itself is very quiet once you're off the main street. And the rent is usually lower than other areas - you should get a good sized double room for 300-350.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

I moved away from Phibs a few years ago and really miss it. Loads of amenities, great transport if you need it but close enough to walk into town, mostly quite safe although I wouldn't leave my car in the Cabra Park area! Shandon would be a bit too quiet for me personally but if you like quiet I'd say you've hit the jackpot :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I'd highly recommend. Lived there for 10 months in 05/06 - loved it. Plenty of shops, DVD rentals, banks, hairdressers, cafés... far more so than Ringsend where I moved to afterwards. Only about 25 minutes' walk max to O'Connell Street. Number of bus routes. And the part of Glasnevin right next to it is so picturesque.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

lovely place to live in terms of amenities and locations, but i had my car robbed and a seconded attempted robbery in a nine month spell that i lived there. Car was parked on street but still was a pain in the butt.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I quite liked Phibsborough when I was living there. short walk to town, plenty of buses, Tesco up the road, Luas down the road. It's not too far from Phoenix Pk either.

Problems with cars seem to be the only worry, some of my neighbours had hassle while I was there. That said, it's not a 'bad' area.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Its fine as areas go..avoid walking along the canal though,especially at night.

Advertisement