Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Festivals in August?

Options
  • 15-07-2010 3:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭

Any of the towns/villages in Donegal having a festival in August?
    Or is there a website where these things get listed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

does anybody know when the buncrana festival is on? And are the coronas playing or is that just rumour?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭nmg_ire

It's on for sure, all the info at

http://buncranamusicfestival.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I've merged the Buncrana festival thread with the general thread on festivals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭bmw535d

oldest running and longest festival in ireland.
    http://www.clonmany.com/festival/index.shtml

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 mise mise

bmw535d wrote: »
    oldest running and longest festival in ireland.
    http://www.clonmany.com/festival/index.shtml

Looks like joint oldest then ;):D

http://www.maryfromdungloe.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

Kilcar has a few festivals during the first two weeks of August see www.kilcaronline.com for details.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭donegalgirl28

mise mise wrote: »
    Looks like joint oldest then ;):D

http://www.maryfromdungloe.com/

That's what I was about to post. :D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

There is a good festival in Burtonport too, i stumbled upon it while out for a run (in the car not the foot type :p) with the Girlfriend, there was a rather serious tug-o-war match going on on the peir, above all places, we stayed most of the evening then watching some good, and some not so good bands, it was great craic though, apart from the table of (what i was told were) "islanders" who kept throwing the non-locals dirty looks, lol. They also do some sort of old rowing boat race to Aranmore which had some men , and women, i wouldnt want to fall out with competing in it.

In light of recent events is there a chance that the festivals in Clonmany and Buncrana could be postponed/canceled?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

muffler wrote: »
    In light of recent events is there a chance that the festivals in Clonmany and Buncrana could be postponed/canceled?

no, they postponed all the meetings they were due to have but the festival will still go ahead afaik.
    I think the most up to date things happening for the festival are put up on face book, and the coronas are due to play on the Thursday night! I just hope the weather is good for it!

Here is a link to the facebook page.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?eid=130682690285181&ref=ts

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Dutchess

check out www.eireannedge.ie for a medieval fair in Letterkenny on the august BH weekend.

Dutchess wrote: »
    check out www.eireannedge.ie for a medieval fair in Letterkenny on the august BH weekend.

I think that is going to be excellent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Is there not a seperate thread for that fair????

• Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Taste of Donegal
    Donegal Town

27 August 2010 - 29 August 2010
    Cooking up a star at the Taste of Donegal Food Festival. Ready & Steady & Cook and a number of local chefs will participate in the Taste of Donegal Food Competition with a chance to secure a place in either the All Ireland Chef of the Year Awards. Discover, Dine & Delight in Donegal Town A Three Day Celebration of Great Food and Drink set in the beautiful surroundings of the Bluestack Mountains and Donegal Bay. Secret Celebrity Chef Appearances, Demonstrations from: An Bord Bia, Tourism College Killybegs & Local Award Winning Chefs. Master-classes by Celebrity Chefs, Food workshops and displays by Associated Craft Butchers of Ireland Food & Drink Exhibitors with Tastings Competitions & Food Trails Cookery Classes for Children & Teenagers Showcase for Artisan Food Producers. Lifestyles and Leisure Promotions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

Buncrana definatly going ahead, funfair set up already in town, be advised though for anybody coming down to it, the entry to the street and shorefront (2 days each) is €4 per over 16's (free for kids) and the bands that are playing later in the night in the plaza are €15 entry fee from what ive been told.

The Cue Lk Outdoor stage will be fully set up @ The Green Shore for The Buncrana Music Festival from 3pm - 11pm And i'm nearly positive it'll be free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

theboss80 wrote: »
    Buncrana definatly going ahead, funfair set up already in town, be advised though for anybody coming down to it, the entry to the street and shorefront (2 days each) is €4 per over 16's (free for kids) and the bands that are playing later in the night in the plaza are €15 entry fee from what ive been told.

I really wish they didnt have any of the bands inside the plaza as part of the festival, not that i don't like the plaza but i think they should be kept as separate entitys from each other, and 15 quid is a bit over the top :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

Why on earth should they be ?

Maybe in a case of a bomb attack or something.....maybe....

After the 'recent events' as you put it, I think it'd be completely unacceptable for the relevant festivals to be postponed/cancelled.

How is that a 'mark of respect' (as I assume you mean) to anyone, living or dead ?

Pique I asked an innocent and pertinent question. I have lost count of the number of times that I seen events canceled over the years in similar circumstances so there is no need to take the high moral ground here.

(Mod hat on) Kindly stay on topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Ballyshannon Folk festival..

http://www.ballyshannonfolkfestival.com/

All being well, we will be there trading with our friends the French Market..

Pique I asked an innocent and pertinent question. I have lost count of the number of times that I seen events canceled over the years in similar circumstances so there is no need to take the high moral ground here.

(Mod hat on) Kindly stay on topic.

for your sensitivity to local grief, thanks. NB Interesting name the poster has ;)

Graces7 wrote: »
    for your sensitivity to local grief, thanks. NB Interesting name the poster has ;)

Nb respect paid on Sunday at the marching festival..

"It was an occasion tinged with a little sadness as the Buncrana Band marched through the streets with their heads held high. A minutes silence was observed before the competition commenced."

http://www.donegaldemocrat.ie/donegalnews/Marching-to-the-sound-of.6427912.jp

That will probably happen also at the other occasions...

I know; off topic but that was a beautiful day altogether!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 glorail

Depends what you are looking for from a festival - the Kilcar one mentioned earlier is actually 2 weeks of fun and frolics in a rockin' wee town in SW Donegal: The street festival that starts at the end of this month has all the usual street fun and games which would be suitable for families - including human table football which has to be one of the funniest things I have ever witnessed - and then a week long music festival - the Fleadh - the opening concert of which is none other than Donegal Person of the Year Mairéad Ni Mhaonaigh, and Fidil are also playing - which includes the TG4 music awards 2010 'Young Musician of The Year' Aiden O'Donnell.

They have a brand new website at http://www.kilcaronline.com which has an events calendar and all the latest info, and you will see on the new guestbook that people come from all parts of the globe to check out the goings-on. :D

glorail wrote: »
    Depends what you are looking for from a festival - the Kilcar one mentioned earlier is actually 2 weeks of fun and frolics in a rockin' wee town in SW Donegal: The street festival that starts at the end of this month has all the usual street fun and games which would be suitable for families - including human table football which has to be one of the funniest things I have ever witnessed - and then a week long music festival - the Fleadh - the opening concert of which is none other than Donegal Person of the Year Mairéad Ni Mhaonaigh, and Fidil are also playing - which includes the TG4 music awards 2010 'Young Musician of The Year' Aiden O'Donnell.

They have a brand new website at http://www.kilcaronline.com which has an events calendar and all the latest info, and you will see on the new guestbook that people come from all parts of the globe to check out the goings-on. :D

We tried to contact them re selling there and never a reply.. Ballyshannon and the French market for us again..

Ah, didn't catch the commercial angle until now. No, there is no trading done at the Kilcar festivals - purely a family fun time run by the community. Sorry you didn't get a reply to tell you that though.

glorail wrote: »
    Ah, didn't catch the commercial angle until now. No, there is no trading done at the Kilcar festivals - purely a family fun time run by the community. Sorry you didn't get a reply to tell you that though.

Ah, no ice cream or fish and chips etc then.

We were , as we are a charity working with the homeless, verbally assured that we would be welcome, but as we could not get a reply, went elswhere..

Always so good when a community event gives to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

What?

Everyone is given a warm welcome here - even charities! As we are a very small town though - probably about 20 times smaller than B'shannon - so I think you probably made the better commercial decision in support of your chosen charity though! Yes, ice cream, chips, etc. all available in the local shops/chippie.

I can only think you didn't get a reply because we are only manned by occasional volunteers from the community, and mainly only in and around the times of the various festivals. On top of that, we probably don't think commercially enough in the first place, and wouldn't know what to do with a trader if they wanted to enquire in the first place! Anyway, apologies for that! I'll have a chat with the committee and see what's what, and maybe we'll see you next year? Idir an dhá linn, ádh mór leis é an féile Bhéal Átha Seanaidh!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Aligator Farmer

Thanks for all the replies so far folks.
    I've also discovered theres a festival in Killybegs in August
    http://www.killybegsonline.org/Article_Details.aspx?article_id=364&tscategory_id=57

Advertisement