Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arrr Always sick!

• 15-07-2010 3:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hey everyone.

These past few months it seems I'm ALWAYS SICK.

It started of with the Flu at the end of May, but fortunately I got that in time and the flu tabs helped me get over it in a few days.

Then a week after that, I got a fever, getting sick and had a very hurtful pain in my side. Went to the doctors and she said it was a Kidney Infection so gave me anti-biotics and painkillers and send me on my way. After a week of taking the meds, the pain in my side seemed to get worst rather than better, so I thought it be best if I went up to the A&E. After waiting nearly 24hrs they said they had to keep me in for a CT scan as they thought I had a blood clot on my lung. I was 19 at the time, just turned 20 after my hospital visit. Now all through this 'kidney infection' I didn't sleep at all, I was lucky to get an hour sleep a night. The night I spent in the hospital I had to ask for something to help me sleep, and the half a sleeping tab they gave helped me get some much needed rest.

The CT came back clear, but since my white blood cells were high, they knew I had an infection. They also told me that there was no evidence of a kidney infection, so gave me more anti-biotics and told me to go to my GP.

Went up to my GP and told him the situation and the fact I havn't been sleeping even though my body was being riddled with infections lol. He gave me an anti depressant to help my mind relax at bed time.

So skip to two weeks and guess what? I still havn't being sleeping proper, and I have ANOTHER Kidney Infection. They gave me all blood test in the hospital, ECG scans, CT scan for the blood clot, urine sample, and everything came back clear, other than my high white blood cells count. So I really cant see how I keep getting sick.

I still havn't being sleeping proper, and anytime I tell the doctor, that I'm just not tired when its bed time he just shrugs it of and asks me about my health. I'm back on anti biotics, but thank God this time theres no pain.

Before this I was never sick, and now its really getting me down. Its pushing me head first towards depression. I keep thinking that there has to be something chronically wrong with me if I keep getting these infections and the fact I'm not sleeping proper. I try and keep positive. I've started taking Vitamins supplements to try and boost my system up. I'm eating prob, but I still feel that my life has changed for the worst and there seems no end to it.

Sorry for the long post, needed to vent

L

Comments

Back when I was in my final year of uni, i was stressed from that, doing a diploma on the side, and family issues. I was consistently stressed, even though my mood didn't always feel stressed, it was always niggling. That year I got sick almost constantly :confused: flu, kidney, ear infections x3, some throat infection - forget the name - where it's all swollen up. Complete loss of appetite and energy etc etc. All within the space of september-may.

Have you anything going on in your life that might be keeping you stressed too? I mean before this happened of course :D
    As well as consulting doctors and trying to keep physically healthy and whatever they suggest, try and keep calm about it all and about anything else!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭LBD

Hi Op,

I feel your pain and also agree with the above poster, I was in a similar situation to yourself at the beginning of last year, consistently sick etc and my white blood cells were coming back as high. After every test was done to rule out possible illnesses the docs put down the rise in the blood cells to stress and anxiety. Leading up to my "bad health spell" I had gone through a pretty stressful time, boyfriends mum died, finals in college, selling a house etc etc and the doc explained it is perfectly normal for this to have an affect on your health. She did advise to stress less and health issues would ease (easier said then done your anxious because your sick, your sick because yo0ur anxious :o) My WBC cells were monitored and sure enough slowly but surely they began to drop, all good now.

It's a horrible time to go through though, hope you're coping ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Unfortunately antibiotics kill good and healthy bacteria as well as infection so every time you take a course of the blasted things, they also kill good antibodies and can leave you feeling run down, lethargic and depressed. It also means your immune system is compromised so that's why you end up getting sick over and over again. Poor thing!

Echinachea is well worth taking. As is a good tonic which I presume you are taking going by your username. You should also try and start doing some gentle exercise as that is the best thing to help you get a good night's sleep. Are you keeping regular hours? i.e. going to bed and getting up at reasonable times?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi op, it is a shock mentally and physically to have your life drastically change, I thought I was healthy until I woke up in hospital, a lot of rest and water helped me along the way:) it can really drag you down, kept having to think how good it'll be when it was all over, reading the healing code at the mo which is good for dealing with negative thought patterns...
    take care and wishing you a speedy recovery:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks so much for the replies.

I'm not so sure about the stress, I might as the doctor if he can refer me to some one I can talk too, don't want these negative thoughts to turn into something damaging.

I try and stick to a normal routine, but the fact that I'm just not tired makes me think theres something wrong which ends up with racing thoughts, which makes it even harder to fall asleep at night. Its getting to the point where I just hate even thinking of going to bed.

I really am trying to keep positive, keeping trying to tell myself that I snap out of it, and I bounce back health wise.

Thanks again for all your replies, made me feel a little better knowing I'm not the only one that has these bad health runs

L

• Advertisement
Advertisement