Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is the best site or store for buying trading cards?

Options
  • 15-07-2010 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I just got into collecting Magic: the gathering and was wondering where is the best site online or store in Dublin to buy cards.

I used to collect versus DC and Marverl cards too so if anyone knows a site which covers a big range for the cheapest price I'd be grateful if they posted it :D

I may be mistaken but there doesn't seem to be any thread pointing out the best places to buy cards of different types so I thought I'd start this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Shienarier

I use www.magiccardmarket.eu for Magic.

If you do sign up, it would be nice if you used my referrer:
    www.magiccardmarket.eu/?referrer=HenrikFalk

Since I did, after all, refer you :-)

If you want a real store in Dublin, I use Gamers World.
    It's located on:
    1 Jervis Street
    Dublin 1

http://www.gamersworlddublin.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

ok im not too up on websites! but if you're only starting to collect, go to GAMERSWORLD in Dublin! if you come in on a day that they have any tournaments or just FNM or Drafts, all the experienced guys tend to just leave majority of their cards behind and you can just take them. i only started collecting and playing Magic about 6 months ago, and id say ive already amassed around 3000 cards haha! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

kev_s88 wrote: »
    ok im not too up on websites! but if you're only starting to collect, go to GAMERSWORLD in Dublin! if you come in on a day that they have any tournaments or just FNM or Drafts, all the experienced guys tend to just leave majority of their cards behind and you can just take them. i only started collecting and playing Magic about 6 months ago, and id say ive already amassed around 3000 cards haha! :D

:confused: So they just leave them there for people to take?? Why?? I've been there,it's actually where I got a starter deck for signing up to some magic event.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

rejkin wrote: »
    :confused: So they just leave them there for people to take?? Why?? I've been there,it's actually where I got a starter deck for signing up to some magic event.
    you'll understand after a while.

Give it a couple of weeks of FNM's in a set and you have too many of some cards and even more the cards you wouldn't play.

It's the best/cheapest way to get started,you might not get a Pro tour deck from it,but it'll get you a nice deck for casual play

Cool,ill be going next week with my friend anyway. Went down tonight to see how the FNM went on. Got there at 7.20 and was told it had already started at 7pm and I couldn't join. Wasn't pleased at all about that,I told the guy that the site doesn't point this out but he didn't care. Even after that I asked him about the game and what to start with and he didn't have a clue,could have easily brought me over to someone who did because I was saying I wanted to buy some cards there but the way I was treated I didn't bother. Not very happy about how that went. The effort of going into town and that's what happens :mad: Next friday better be better

• Advertisement

It's true that there isn't much information to be had unless you are in the store and get it first hand. That said I don't think it's fair to fault Gamers World for the time. Sure, the site doesn't point out that you can't join after seven, but it doesn't say that you can either.

I used this site to find the FNMs, but as far as I remember there aren't any times on there either.
    http://www.wizards.com/Magic/TCG/Events.aspx?x=events/magic/fnm

I have been told that Gamers World will start updating the website, but that was quite a long time ago.

Gamers World also have a Facebook account, but there isn't that much information on there either.

I think calling them is the way to go:
    0879-29 93 92.

Yeah true, I should have rang but it wouldn't have been so bad if the guy had been a bit more helpful about buying cards. Sales are very important in a small store like that and if I treated a customer like that where I worked we wouldn't have much sales.It always makes me wonder why small shops don't put more work into their self-promotion when starting off.

Anyway,thanks for the advice,I'll check out that link and sure i'll hopefully be up every friday anyway work permitted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

With respect to Martin or Gus[you probably got one of these two]

FNM's rarely get to the numbers for 2 pods [2 groups of 8] so the whole "starts at 7pm" is a bit of a guideline.Just to make the whole process easier

This FNM would be a bit exceptional as well,there is a new set coming out this weekend and he probably assumed you wanted to buy the new set [M11] a few days before the release date,not cool.

If you're up for tryng again this weekend will be events for the release of the new set,with some new cards/mechanics so even the experienced guys are on a bit of uneven footing with the cards.

You'll be garaunteed a game,get a limited edition card[that people WILL want to trade for] and some cards of the newest set.If you're interested in getting into/back into the game.now is the ideal time.

Also,just my 2cents,don't worry too much about sales/promotion the vast majority of Irish magic cards are bought in GW,they don't really need to promote it,the market is practically a monopoly.

P.S:...Gary?

Yeah, Martin and Fergus have been really nice to me all the times I have been in the store.

It does get a bit hectic in the store now with the events.
    They have a proper judge there for these events,
    regular FNMs are a bit looser.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

FNM's rarely get to the numbers for 2 pods [2 groups of 8] so the whole "starts at 7pm" is a bit of a guideline.Just to make the whole process easier

This FNM would be a bit exceptional as well,there is a new set coming out this weekend and he probably assumed you wanted to buy the new set [M11] a few days before the release date,not cool.

If you're up for tryng again this weekend will be events for the release of the new set,with some new cards/mechanics so even the experienced guys are on a bit of uneven footing with the cards.

You'll be garaunteed a game,get a limited edition card[that people WILL want to trade for] and some cards of the newest set.If you're interested in getting into/back into the game.now is the ideal time.

Also,just my 2cents,don't worry too much about sales/promotion the vast majority of Irish magic cards are bought in GW,they don't really need to promote it,the market is practically a monopoly.

just wanted to correct a few things in this for the watching world ;)

FNM dusnt work in pods, only drafts need the multiples of 8. really all you need is more than 8 for an FNM but you can technically have as many as you want, thanks to the joys of byes!

the release event this weekend is gonna be a lesser event than last week. and on the topic of the Foil Ancient Hellkite, no-one is gonna wanna trade for it lol. after talking to the guys in the shop the demand for this card seems almost zero so you probably wont get anything useful in a trade for it.

(sorry G_N, had to do it lol)

so back to the topic at hand! the lads in the shop can get pretty run off their feet during FNMs if theres a fair few people. so dont take it personally that they didnt really help you at all. the guys are really good in there, but if you're looking for proper help about buying stuff you might be better off going during the afternoon sometime when theres no competitions on.

• Advertisement

Cool,had a few games with my friend last night,we're making mistakes along the way but getting the hang of it :D

Hopefully I'll see a few of you's in Gamersworld sometime and we can have a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭kabuk1

Not sure of the best place online, but if anyone is interested, I have 800+ cards I@m looking to sell off or swap for something (not more MTG cards though as I don't play much anymore and am keeping just a few decks).

If anyone is interested, I have an ad on adverts: http://adverts.ie/244520

P.S. I hope this is allowed on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 drbat

OK here's the deal I have a few hundred magic cards. Havn't counted them properly or checked to see if they are valuable...found them in charity shop in a shoe box full of random cards.. I know nothing about Magic except that some cards are worth money and they cost alot to buy new.. so i would like to sell my cards to any of you cool interweb-magic interested folk for monayz... their is probably some valuable ones and some usless ones...by (very) rough estamate their are over four hundred cards (i didn't count but i made a pile of 50 cards and put them up against the rest of the pile if you know what i mean). if any one is interested post on the thread and feel free to argue amongst your selves to drive up the price. happy to sell them all in one go or for a random pack of fifty or more whatever...

thanks,
    rowan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

Buy from a charity shop to make profit on them. Nice.

Make a list and post it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 WorldSocksBox

tcgplayer.com is a good website, it's like "Compare the Market" for CCGs, it compares prices from all different websites. It also has forums and articles and card previews for a long list of games. Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Ive been searching for somewhere online that will ship sealed booster boxes internationally. After mailing about 20 places i finally found one.

http://www.ideal808.com/

It works out about 60 - 70 euro for a box. WAY cheaper than buying them here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

goodlad wrote: »
    Ive been searching for somewhere online that will ship sealed booster boxes internationally. After mailing about 20 places i finally found one.

http://www.ideal808.com/

It works out about 60 - 70 euro for a box. WAY cheaper than buying them here.

Watch out for cutoms

It works out at almost 90 euro and that's without any customs charges or whatever.

I ended up ordering from a place in the UK.
    Booster boxes are 95 euro + 3 euro shipping no matter how many boxes you buy.

Compared to gamers worls in dublin who charge 110 a box.

Its not a big saving if your only gettng one box, but between myself and a few mates were getting 8 boxes so the saving was grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Sorry to bump an old thread. Can these cards still be bought anywhere in Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭luisspellcast

(not a trick) question: what happens to stores that don't have costumers ?

you might not want to buy too many of those boxes if they're sold for 140 (for example) but supporting the local store shouldn't be frowned upon -- unless you're buying the cards just for yourself and buddies and play only kitchen-table magic (which there's nothing wrong with, of course)

on the other hand, 110 euro for a box isn't that much of a stretch from your 98 you end up paying from your uk place -- hanging around in the store with your buddies, showing up every evening to trade cards and getting all your product somewhere else won't pay the bills and, eventually, the store will close

i'm not here to defend store owner's honour or justify their prices (some can get pretty ridiculous) -- but i was away from magic for a few good years because there simply wasn't a local place to play -- wild guess, trading cards in the shop doesn't pay the bills

there are plenty of ways to support your local store, i'm sure -- i always buy coffee, sleeves and boosters every time i can -- if my local shop would sell boxes for only 12euro more than online i'm sure i'd buy them there, just to make sure it's open tomorrow...

then again, take the above with a bit of salt -- in the end, it's only my 2c

I totally agree with you.
    But i do only play with a few mates from time to time so wherever is the best price gets our business.

keano_afc wrote: »
    Sorry to bump an old thread. Can these cards still be bought anywhere in Dublin?

Yes they can be bought in Dublin.
    Gamersworld

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭LifesaverNiall

Can cards be sold in gamersworld aswell?

Yes, select cards can be sold to the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Realbeers

They will never be valuable, but Hero Attax cards are collectible online now too. Do a Google search on Topps Marvel Hero Attax.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 JoeSoRandom

I have to say my experience with GW hasn't been all that great either. I don't get to Dublin a lot myself but I was going there to buy cards and so on when I'm there. However when I asked for a little information on an up coming set as I hadn't heard much about it, the guy there was more interested in what was playing on his laptop than speaking to me. I was spending a lot of money there that day too, having bought a good €150 worth of stuff. Luckily there's now a Game shop open near me which supply MTG and other card games.

But you're right though, FNM is 7-10 or little later depending on size but the shop should at least have this information available on their site and FB page.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

I found a site called tcgireland.com for buying cards recently, the lads are sound and sorted me with what I needed

I know this an old thread but when I looked into this, I didnt get that much help to get started until I found this site.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cadpat_cowboy

Sorry for posting on an old thread but I can't seem to find the info I'm looking for, I was wondering if gamer world is still the best place to go for cards

I am a complete noob and have decided I want to start playing magic, I have one mate who is interested in starting also. We are also wondering what is the best type of deck/set to buy

Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Gamers World would be the best place in Dublin.

As for what to get, the 2019 Core Set just came out. Maybe look up the pre-made Planeswalker decks that are part of this set, grab one each you like the looks of. 5 to choose from:

jGX0vLt.jpg?1

After that, either the Deckbuilders Toolkit or the Core Set 2019 Bundle would add a ton of cards to modify those decks from or build totally new ones.

Advertisement