Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

redundancy entitlements

• 15-07-2010 4:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I worked for the same company for 14 years. 3 years ago I got sick and have had 2 years of treatment. My employer kept my job open, and facilitated me when I felt able to work, allowing me to work half days and was very flexible. Towards the end of 2009 my consultant advised me that I would not be able to work anymore. I asked my employer for my p45 which they issued. They told me that they thought I would have come back to work in some capacity and were sorry I was leaving. Would I be entitled to redundancy for my years service?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 derand

wogger1 wrote: »
    I worked for the same company for 14 years. 3 years ago I got sick and have had 2 years of treatment. My employer kept my job open, and facilitated me when I felt able to work, allowing me to work half days and was very flexible. Towards the end of 2009 my consultant advised me that I would not be able to work anymore. I asked my employer for my p45 which they issued. They told me that they thought I would have come back to work in some capacity and were sorry I was leaving. Would I be entitled to redundancy for my years service?

This is an employment rights query rather than a tax one....but I don't think you have entitlement to claim statutory reduncancy since you were not made redundant. If I have read this correctly you merely resigned, the company would rehire you and may have in fact hired someone to replace you.

Anyone else agree/disagree?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Agree 110%...

Taken from the Dept of Enterprise website:

"In a redundancy situation, the actual job disappears, due, for example, to a total closure, liquidation, rationalisation etc. Section 5 of the Redundancy Payments Act 2003 emphasises the objective nature of redundancy as being work related by using the phrase redundancy “for one or more reasons not related to the employee concerned”."

It's a black or white issue; if you asked them for your P45 (i.e. resigned), in a situation where they were holding a job open for you, then there is no redundancy.

Advertisement