Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Upping Prices on Special Offers

• 15-07-2010 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

Hey Guys

Not sure if this is the right forum for this but here's the story.

Was just in Tescos in Mallow and doing my usual weekly shop, keeping an eye on bargains as always and I noticed something quite strange. On packs of Denny's cooked ham price at 1.99, there was a black sticker over the top right hand corner of the packet. On closer inspection (careful pulling pack of the sticker) I realised that the black sticker was covering an advertised price from Denny of 1.79. Can Tesco do this?

Regardless I left the ham and am now trying O'Carroll's Ham at a special price of 1.50 for 5 slices. Nom..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Yes they can do it. It has come up before, I used to think they were obliged to sell at the "flashed price", but apparently not, a mate used to work in centra and the owner went mad if they bought in flashed products. But I think it was just hassle he would get from customers.

Tesco have high prices on some stuff, there is no doubting that. It seems their marketing strategy is to have certain items high so others look very low in comparison. Prices fluctuate a lot, they can be very low for a long time with no offer sign, then they go up and everybody moans, but then the moaners even have to admit it is still a relatively good price.

Ryvitas were 99cent for a month or so, no offer, then went right up to €2.69 for weeks. Now they are at €1.09 -again with no offer signs etc.

You just have to keep an eye out and recognise value when you see it. They might have intentionally wanted you to buy that carrols ham.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

lilminx wrote: »
    Hey Guys

Was just in Tescos in Mallow and doing my usual weekly shop, keeping an eye on bargains as always and I noticed something quite strange. On packs of Denny's cooked ham price at 1.99, there was a black sticker over the top right hand corner of the packet. On closer inspection (careful pulling pack of the sticker) I realised that the black sticker was covering an advertised price from Denny of 1.79. Can Tesco do this?

Regardless I left the ham and am now trying O'Carroll's Ham at a special price of 1.50 for 5 slices. Nom..

Seems to me that Tescos can and WILL do whatever the feck they like anyway!
    They've been upping the prices, and riding us compared to the north for years now.

However....

I'm just sitting back, waiting on the usual suspects to jump to Tescos defence.....

Naming no names.............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,096 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Gucky wrote: »
    Seems to me that Tescos can and WILL do whatever the feck they like anyway!
    They've been upping the prices, and riding us compared to the north for years now.

However....

I'm just sitting back, waiting on the usual suspects to jump to Tescos defence.....

Naming no names.............

We're being ridden by all of them, and they're all taking us to the cleaners!

While people jump on the anti-Brit bandwagon, the other retailers are having a good old laugh, and getting away with as much as Tesco, if not more if they happen to be anything to do with Musgrave.

You should take the blinkers off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭flanzer

2 for 1 on a 4 pack of Lucozade sport was €4 a couple of months back, now it's €6, that's only one of what I noticed

I think I'll be heading back to Aldi soon

ejmaztec wrote: »
    We're being ridden by all of them, and they're all taking us to the cleaners!

While people jump on the anti-Brit bandwagon, the other retailers are having a good old laugh, and getting away with as much as Tesco, if not more if they happen to be anything to do with Musgrave.

You should take the blinkers off.

Who gives a flying fart about the 'Anti Brit' wagon, and as for the blinkers, do you find it a coincidence that Tescos feature a LOT more on rip off Ireland than any of the rest of he big players?

But many thanks for being an old reliable.
    First one to jump to their defence!

Tescos changed for good? Yeah right!
    Sticking their own price over the retailers is a new low in my eyes though.

I'll tell you what I'd do, I'd rip off their own price, scan it at self service, then head straight to customer service with your 'mispriced' item and argue your point to get it free!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Who gives a flying fart about the 'Anti Brit' wagon, and as for the blinkers, do you find it a coincidence that Tescos feature a LOT more on rip off Ireland than any of the rest of he big players?

I'll tell you what I'd do, I'd rip off their own price, scan it at self service, then head straight to customer service with your 'mispriced' item and argue your point to get it free!

The best thing is to use all the retailers for the things that are cheap there. Aldi have cheap fruit/veg but some other things aren't all that reasonable.

Tesco often have cracking offers - currently this Cremant is €7.89 but is £8.59 across the water http://www.tesco.com/wine/product/details/default.aspx?id=252571657

None of the retailers are here for our benefit. They all adjust prices to suit themselves. it's up to us to play back at them eg stop being totally brand conscious - buy the cheaper version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,096 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I didn't defend Tesco, and am just pointing out that they're all as bad as each other.

People in Ireland were getting ripped off decades before Tesco showed up. The likes of the Dunne and Musgrave families have been taking the piss since they first started in business, but a lot of people seem to think that rip off's only been in existence for about ten years.

Tesco and all of the foreign retailers piled into Ireland because they could get away with charging more than they did anywhere else, and the reason for this is that Irish retailers and wholesalers had already set the profit bar at a higher level.

If the profits in Ireland weren't as good as they were, you wouldn't have seen any of the foreign businesses for dust.

There are no Tescos in Germany, for instance, because the German super-market chains are too competitive as it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Do people really think Tesco go about and recover prices with theiir own labels? Really?

OP have a look at the top label - it is probably the same size as the bottom label.

Guess what - it was probably placed over a mis placed label by denny themselves.

Check your local centra - denny ham has a 1.99 sticker on it - yellow background red print. Even the local petrol garage has the same one and its not even part of a symbol group.

Tesco must have an army of people putting their 1.99 stickers on all denny ham in the country :D

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I didn't defend Tesco, and am just pointing out that they're all as bad as each other.

People in Ireland were getting ripped off decades before Tesco showed up. The likes of the Dunne and Musgrave families have been taking the piss since they first started in business, but a lot of people seem to think that rip off's only been in existence for about ten years.

Tesco and all of the foreign retailers piled into Ireland because they could get away with charging more than they did anywhere else, and the reason for this is that Irish retailers and wholesalers had already set the profit bar at a higher level.

If the profits in Ireland weren't as good as they were, you wouldn't have seen any of the foreign businesses for dust.

There are no Tescos in Germany, for instance, because the German super-market chains are too competitive as it is.

Sorry, I took your whole comment up wrong, I thought (wrongly) that you were singling me out as 'anti Brit' as I have been accused of being so in previous threads.

I stand corrected though.

The anti-brit brigade is why tesco appear here a lot more than others, that is why you should give a flying fart about it, and you would be blinkered if you refuse to acknowledge that there is an anti-brit brigade, or you could call others biased against/for irish retailers and refusing to name & shame them as they are "one of us", -it is like people moaning about cyclists breaking road laws and not complaining about pedestrians breaking road laws since they are most likely also a law breaking pedestrian.
    waiting on the usual suspects to jump to Tescos defence.....
    More like the usual suspects having to explain standard business practice that is seen in most stores, regardless of the nationality of the owner. In many threads the ignorance about how a normal business operates is quite shocking.

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    The anti-brit brigade is why tesco appear here a lot more than others, that is why you should give a flying fart about it, and you would be blinkered if you refuse to acknowledge that there is an anti-brit brigade, or you could call others biased against/for irish retailers and refusing to name & shame them as they are "one of us", -it is like people moaning about cyclists breaking road laws and not complaining about pedestrians breaking road laws since they are most likely also a law breaking pedestrian.

More like the usual suspects having to explain standard business practice that is seen in most stores, regardless of the nationality of the owner. In many threads the ignorance about how a normal business operates is quite shocking.[/

Do you see ME implying anything about Dunnes, Superquinn etc?

No, you don't. You just enjoy trying to look like a smart lad.

Incidentally, have you long to go before Tesco give you your gold watch?

I assume you actually work for them, either that or your involved in a love triangle with them. Seeing as you jump to their defence each time someone points out that Tesco are shafting us!!

Zzzzzzzzzz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Hey Guys

My wife was doing her shopping there yesterday also. She was buying dishwasher tablets but they were almost €10 a packet :eek: instead she bought the same packet in Weedle's chemist for less than half that price. Weedle's are selling this stuff at NI prices :) As for the ham why don't you try the butchers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

What dishwasher tablets and where is weedles chemist?

(and why is the chemist selling dishwashing tablets?!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Hey Guys

They were left over from a special offer that ended last week. If the sticker couldn't be put over the old price then all the ham would have ended up in the skip. The new stock that was coming in didn't have the flashed price. The tills can't charge 2 prices and if the operator didn't adjust the price the customer would have got the ham free on an over charge.

If it was in Dunnes they would just dump the ham and gt credit off Denny but I don't think Tesco do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    What dishwasher tablets and where is weedles chemist?

(and why is the chemist selling dishwashing tablets?!)
    Fairy wishes 28 pack lemon over €9 in Tesco and only €4.79 in Weedles chemist which is in Mallow.

What's so unusual about a chemist selling dishwasher tablets :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Fairy wishes 28 pack lemon over €9 in Tesco and only €4.79 in Weedles chemist which is in Mallow.

Exactly Sam, they are after all tablets..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

I was in Tesco a few weeks back and picked up two packs of Youngs Prawns at 2.99 each - both had a sticker saying buy one get one free. Anyway I was charged for both packs, but got my 2.99 refund. Went back the next day to get some more and all the stickers had been removed!!!! You could see on the packs where the stickers had been removed - now I didn't think that was allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭lilminx

91011 wrote: »
    Do people really think Tesco go about and recover prices with theiir own labels? Really?

OP have a look at the top label - it is probably the same size as the bottom label.

Guess what - it was probably placed over a mis placed label by denny themselves.

Check your local centra - denny ham has a 1.99 sticker on it - yellow background red print. Even the local petrol garage has the same one and its not even part of a symbol group.

Tesco must have an army of people putting their 1.99 stickers on all denny ham in the country :D

Yes, Yes I do because I saw them do it! It was as I described in my post =- in fact i took photos to illustrate my points but can't upload them from my phone as don't have the cable. There was a BLACK label covering the Denny price of 1.79 and the advertised price on the shelf was 1.99.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭lilminx

Sam Kade wrote: »

Yeah Weedles is the business for things like that! And they do great offers on hair styling products as well - mousse and stuff that would normally cost about 8 quid somewhere else for 2 there. Saved myself a fortune at times.

Incidentally, have you long to go before Tesco give you your gold watch?

I assume you actually work for them, either that or your involved in a love triangle with them. Seeing as you jump to their defence each time someone points out that Tesco are shafting us!!
    Again, it is not "defence", as I said I and others are simply explaining very basic business practise, the ignorance of some people here is appalling. Little 6 year old girls with "shops" in their front garden have more cop on and business sense than some idiots who post here.

There is an unusually high amount of complaints about tesco due to the blantantly obvious anti-british sentiment in this forum. Therefore since there is such a bias against tesco there are more threads about them and more explanations in those threads -explanations of standard business practise -as carried out by all supermarkets. I would be just as quick to advise any ignorant poster no matter what supermarket they were posting about.

I do not work for them, I am not involved in retail, but when I was 7 I understood enough about them. I am not gullible & naive and do not fall for marketing tricks like some poor fools.

• Advertisement

Yes, Yes I do because I saw them do it! It was as I described in my post =- in fact i took photos to illustrate my points but can't upload them from my phone as don't have the cable. There was a BLACK label covering the Denny price of 1.79 and the advertised price on the shelf was 1.99.

but it was probably Denny themselves who put the new label on as the first one was an error. - I doubt if tesco just happen to have a stock of the same label as was on the same product in most stores.

There is an unusually high amount of complaints about tesco due to the blantantly obvious anti-british sentiment in this forum.

and if the anti-tesco brigade have a private pension, they'd probably find that Tesco are one of their share holding! :D

thinking about it the NTMA probably have tesco shares too (they have coca cola shares), so EVERYONES pension benefits from Tesco as NTMA manage the pension reserve fund.

I do not work for them, I am not involved in retail, but when I was 7 I understood enough about them. I am not gullible & naive and do not fall for marketing tricks like some poor fools.

When I was 7, Understanding retail was the last thing on my mind.
    I was more into riding my bike, playing with toy soldiers, and imagining I was playing football for Celtic.

Guess some of us had completely different childhoods.
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Constant vigilance is the only answer - basically they're all in the business of transferring as much of your cash into their tills as they can.

- watch out for a similar but more expensive item in the space where the offer items are indicated - I've come across that in most supermarkets - its a low trick. They're playing games with us so its up to us to beat them at their game.

Tesco Customer Service - what service? In my local Tesco customer service is kept busy selling lotto/cigarettes/mobile top ups etc I do object to having a sign up saying "Customer Service" when you have to queue with people doing purchases usually manned by one stressed out assistant trying to deal with everybody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

maringo wrote: »
    Constant vigilance is the only answer - basically they're all in the business of transferring as much of your cash into their tills as they can.

NEWSFLASH - Supermarkets try to make money!!!!
    I'm in shock - I thought they were a charity:D

I was more into riding my bike, playing with toy soldiers, and imagining I was playing football for Celtic.

Guess some of us had completely different childhoods.
    Not really that different, I did the same stuff, only I was probably spending my pocket money in the supermarket right beside a typical newsagent where you might have paid well over the odds for your sweets & bars. I understood why they were cheaper, I didn't have to go to economics classes or anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

- watch out for a similar but more expensive item in the space where the offer items are indicated - I've come across that in most supermarkets - its a low trick.

It's more likely that the shopper has picked up (for example) a bottle of wine, and, on seeing the special offer, simply taken the more expensive bottle out of the trolley, and put it on the shelf where the special offer bottle is being picked up. How often does anyone go back to the shelf where the original item came from? Maybe supermarkets should send personal assistants round with shoppers to put things back in their original location.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Hardly likely a shopper will stack 40 packs of higher priced items in the offer spot - its simply sharp practice designed to fool the customer - as an eagle-eyed shopper i've come across it too many times for it to be accidental - seems to have taken hold during the Celtic Tiger when supposedly we all had money to burn! And its not confined to any particular supermarket.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Well, yes :) too many people in ireland just grab stuff without checking the price at all, and then get all outraged when they get to the till/later when they maybe check the receipt, it's shockingly bad form and makes them easy prey!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Why don't you do what a friend of mine has made into a fine art form? He looks out for any items wrongly priced in Tesco as he does his usual shop. So items with a cheaper flashed price than shelf edge label price, or price labels with was 2.59 now 2.89 etc. He says a good error to look at is the labels for the new special offers, they always make loads of errors there. He places the items in his trolley, purchases them, goes over to the Customer Service desk and gets a full refund by using there No quibble policy they have on display. Best of all he gets to keep the product for free. Might help cover those price increases that they have inflicted upon you. Before anyone leaps to Tesco defence, consider

1. Why have a no quibble policy if your going to quibble when a customer uses it?
    2. Should these pricing errors not have been picked up by your staff?

So why not try one item wrongly priced this week and remember to check for the policy on display at the Customer service desk. It should be.

Advertisement