Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gestational diabetic clinic in kilkenny

• 15-07-2010 4:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭

Hi I was wondering if any one knows what the diabetic clinc is like in Kilkenny, I get Gestational Diabeties and have had my other children in the coombe, I know they like to see you early if you have a history of GD. my doc thinks it could be 20 weeks before they see me, which last pregnancy I was on insulin by then so a wee bit late. do they normally want to see you sooner rather than later.:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

I'm not sure about Kilkenny, but I'd say it to your GP. I was told after my son that they'd want me checked by 16 weeks on my next pregnancy. And I was never bad enough to end up on insulin. Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Quackles wrote: »
    I'm not sure about Kilkenny, but I'd say it to your GP. I was told after my son that they'd want me checked by 16 weeks on my next pregnancy. And I was never bad enough to end up on insulin. Good luck!

My Gp put it in my letter she was sending on today, even though she had it down she still thought they would be very slow on an appointment. I have had GD 3 times one diet controlled and 2 controlled with Insulin. I seem to get pregnant and have it straight way, I have impaired glucose tolerance so pre diabetic basically, On that diet all the time :)LOL.

I think I will ring them my self tomorrow and see what hey say! other wise I may be better heading to the coombe as they know my history
    Thanks for the reply:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

I had my baby in St Luke's, Kilkenny last year. I had my first antenatal appointment at 13 weeks and was called in the following week for the GD test. Get the GP to ring for an early appointment for you - with your history there shouldn't be any hassle. If there is, chance calling the clinic directly as they might be able to give you a GD test date before or on your booking in appointment. Lovely lovely midwives in Kilkenny btw, especially up on the labour ward itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

I had my baby in St Luke's, Kilkenny last year. I had my first antenatal appointment at 13 weeks and was called in the following week for the GD test. Get the GP to ring for an early appointment for you - with your history there shouldn't be any hassle. If there is, chance calling the clinic directly as they might be able to give you a GD test date before or on your booking in appointment. Lovely lovely midwives in Kilkenny btw, especially up on the labour ward itself.

Thanks do you get GD in pregnancy:) I rang the antenatal clinic and spoke to a lovely girl who told me to call again yesterday morning and she told me to be pushy as some of them there were abrupt and would juts give one line answer and I get no were LOL lovely eh but lucky enough when I rang the girl was a bit abrupt but she listened to me and asked me to ring back again next week and she would chase it up for me.

Im a bit nervous as I liked the commbe and they were excellent at looking after you in the Diabetic clinic. I'm hoping its the same in kilkenny as its closer to me and at least I can go down for an appointment when my boys are in school and be back for them, if I go to Dublin ID never make it back plus the early appointment would be a killer :)

Thanks for the reply :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

No, I didn't have GD in the end, although had to have the test done a second time later in the pregnancy (too many ice cream cravings). The test was taken up on the labour ward. I did suffer from high blood pressure in the last 2 months of pregnency though and had to come in for regular monitoring. Again, that was done on the labour ward. It was great in a way because by the time of the birth I knew nearly everyone there and wasn't terrified like I thought I would be. Hoope it goes well for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

Baby75 wrote: »
    . I seem to get pregnant and have it straight way,

Can you tell me what symptoms you have? I did not have gd in last 2 pgs, but i am very ill this time, with a vius, but suffering from dizzy spells and headaches, sickness,etc and my mom thinks i might have gd, as she is diabetic.
    very had to get a list of symptoms

Advertisement