Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT Diploma aimed at unemployed people

Options
  • 15-07-2010 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

UCC and CIT offer a Diploma in Applied Business Computing to unemployed individuals in the Cork region. The course is offered free to students, as well as a variety of supports such as free books. It is a two year full time course, and runs on the Northside of the city. As an example of its success, previous students have gone on to further education in degrees and even PhD. Previous students are also in employment locally and internationally. There are no formal education requirements to do the course, just an application form and straight-forward aptitude test.
    For further information, contact Ed Quinn in UCC at e.quinn@ucc.ie or by phone at 021-4300028

http://girtab2.ucc.ie/index.php/bis/dip-abc/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

JeremyH wrote: »
    UCC and CIT offer a Diploma in Applied Business Computing to unemployed individuals in the Cork region. The course is offered free to students, as well as a variety of supports such as free books. It is a two year full time course, and runs on the Northside of the city. As an example of its success, previous students have gone on to further education in degrees and even PhD. Previous students are also in employment locally and internationally. There are no formal education requirements to do the course, just an application form and straight-forward aptitude test.
    For further information, contact Ed Quinn in UCC at e.quinn@ucc.ie or by phone at 021-4300028

I think this is a great opportunity for people. It sounds like a worth while course as well as it's applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭JeremyH

Thanks Webmonkey.

I should also have said that applications are due by the 31st July.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Jeremy from CCRí?

It's a fantastic initiative. Wish you did it for self employed people too. FYI, Oscail who do distance learning from DCU also offer IT courses under the same principles.

Jeremy from CCRí?

That's me. Who have I? PM me if you don't want to reveal your identity!

Yeah, it's a full-time course so it wouldn't suit the self-employed. Many of the students will be eligible for the full Back-to-Education Allowance so it's really worthwhile for someone who is out of work and looking to upskill. And they will really get to a high level of technical proficiency by the end of it.

Oscail have some great courses too, I tutored some of the distance education students on the BSc in IT Management many moons ago when I was doing my masters. Think all the tutorials are done online now with webcams etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Think all the tutorials are done online now with webcams etc.

I wish. The tutorials with Oscail are mostly still in Dublin. Although, having said that, none of the computing modules with Oscail offer anything remotely challenging. I'm just doing it for the sake of doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

That's me. Who have I? PM me if you don't want to reveal your identity!

Yeah, it's a full-time course so it wouldn't suit the self-employed. Many of the students will be eligible for the full Back-to-Education Allowance so it's really worthwhile for someone who is out of work and looking to upskill. And they will really get to a high level of technical proficiency by the end of it.

Oscail have some great courses too, I tutored some of the distance education students on the BSc in IT Management many moons ago when I was doing my masters. Think all the tutorials are done online now with webcams etc.

fantastic initiative, especially since current predictions say things will be a little different in computing sector in two to three years (things looking up again), in fact there is a slight upturn already!

is entry based on interview?

There is an interview and aptitude test, but both are relatively straightforward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

As a past student on this course I highly recommend it. The support on the course is second to none. Anyone that has a wish to 'up skil'l from the ground level up then this is the course for you.

I found it a stepping stone to further education. I got a BA degree and a Masters as such. This course gave me the confidence to attain said achievements.

If a course in this case had not existed then I would not be where I am now. Thank you 'Tom Butler' for making this possible. Tom Butler in my view is the instigater of this process.

Worth a bump I think. For anyone interested in the IT sector.

Please note that the closing date for applications is July 31st.

• Advertisement

bump

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭spitfireIRL

i got the form there and it says you have to be at least 20, i'm 19, any way around that no?

Bumpidy Bump last chance to apply folks. Great course for those interested. Best of luck to those that applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭The_Banker

Bumpidy Bump last chance to apply folks. Great course for those interested. Best of luck to those that applied.

Hi Deliverance,
    My nephew applied for this. Do you know if there were many applications as he really wants it.

PM'd you just there The_Banker.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 thecaw76

Hi jeremy h, i have applied for the course but have not recieved any confirmation of an interview as of yet. Is that normal? Also could you tell me did many apply for the course?Thanks in advance

thecaw76 wrote: »
    Hi jeremy h, i have applied for the course but have not recieved any confirmation of an interview as of yet. Is that normal? Also could you tell me did many apply for the course?Thanks in advance

I'm on holidays but I know they went through the applications earlier this week. You should get a letter with more info early next week.

Great stuff,thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4 WannabeSpark

Hi JeremyH,

I have an aptitude test for the course on friday. Was just wondering what the interviews are like? Also, how many places are available? I presume there has been a huge response, do u know how many have applied??

I would love to get into this course, seems very interesting and a really good opportunity.

As a past student on this course I highly recommend it. The support on the course is second to none. Anyone that has a wish to 'up skil'l from the ground level up then this is the course for you.

I found it a stepping stone to further education. I got a BA degree and a Masters as such. This course gave me the confidence to attain said achievements.

If a course in this case had not existed then I would not be where I am now. Thank you 'Tom Butler' for making this possible. Tom Butler in my view is the instigater of this process.

hello deliverance, could you tell me what the interview entails? woould i need a cv etc?

• Advertisement

thecaw76 wrote: »
    hello deliverance, could you tell me what the interview entails? woould i need a cv etc?

You don't need a CV.

You should show some enthusiasm for the course and an understanding of what the course entails (have a look at the modules studied on bis.ucc.ie).

If you need any info, send me a PM. I won't be interviewing candidates this week (as I have meetings that I can't get out of) but I have done in the past.

You don't need a CV.

You should show some enthusiasm for the course and an understanding of what the course entails (have a look at the modules studied on bis.ucc.ie).

If you need any info, send me a PM. I won't be interviewing candidates this week (as I have meetings that I can't get out of) but I have done in the past.

Cannot say better than that. It is not a walk in the park type of course. Any successful applicant will be expected to work hard to learn / achieve the diploma and should have a genuine interest in using a technological apptitude to further their interests.

Saying that I am willing to offer students on the course advice and support in the future in any way that I can, when I can. Best of luck lads and ladies in the interviews.

http://bis.ucc.ie/Diploma_in_abc.aspx

Bump!

This course will run again in October 2012 (for two years). PM me if you need more details

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭kat151283

Hi just wondering how do you apply for it? thanks

kat151283 wrote: »
    Hi just wondering how do you apply for it? thanks

Send an email to Ed e.quinn@ucc.ie and he will send you out an application form.

Bump..
    As a current student in this course i would strongly advise anyone with an interest in computers and I.T in general to apply for this. As the numbers are relatively small (25 or so) it gives you the chance to learn at a level which is comfortable compared to the 100+ in a lecture hall in the big universities.
    Initially when i started i was overwhelmed by the course, it is very technical and from the off is challenging to say the least but eventually you get used to it.
    In my own case i had no third level education experience and had done nothing to test whatever brain cells i had (educationally anyway!) since my leaving cert in 1993 so it should be easier to grasp for most people.
    The modules are interesting, after first year you should be capable of making(coding) your own website, manipulate pictures with Photoshop, Program applications with Visual Basic 2010 and have an excellent knowledge of Information systems, Networking and Accounting.
    In closing i would whole heartedly recommend this course.When i applied for it in 2010 i said to myself that i would give this education thing a second chance, not expecting to last very long!, however this course has given me the confidence to apply for a degree course in C.I.T
    (summer exam results pending!) in Autumn 2012.
    Anyone interested just send an email to Ed(sound fella)e.quinn@ucc.ie and he will sort you out. If anyone needs more info you can P.M me and i will gladly help you out. Best of luck.

Please note that the deadline for applications for the Diploma in Applied Business Computing is July 31st 2012.

More information available here: http://bis.ucc.ie/Diploma_in_abc.aspx

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Do you have to do an interview for this course?

Do you have to do an interview for this course?

Yes there is a straight forward interview involved, nothing too heavy. There is an aptitude test before the interview process also.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

If your on social welfare can you get the btea when doing this course?

Advertisement