Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

puncture sealant spray

• 15-07-2010 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    my wife is now the proud owner of a Giant Halfway (and very nice it is too).
    However I can't see her learning to repair a puncture, so was thinking about a sealant spray such as http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Zefal_Sealant_Spray/5360043681/.
    I'm a bit puzzled this is the only brand I can find, which makes me wonder if they are a truly reliable concept.
    Has anyone any experience using these?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I was just reading about them and why they hadn't been adopted for road use yet. It seems that the higher the pressure the less effective they are, and you still have to repair the puncture at some point. They also have a limited shelf life, I'm not sure how practical it is for commuting.

It's a good skill to learn, a lot of people seem intimidated by it but once you learn it's a doddle. Maybe get her some CO2 cartridges? Pumping up a tyre is the hardest part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Marathon Plus come in 20".

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭souter

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I was just reading about them and why they hadn't been adopted for road use yet. It seems that the higher the pressure the less effective they are, and you still have to repair the puncture at some point. They also have a limited shelf life, I'm not sure how practical it is for commuting.

It's a good skill to learn, a lot of people seem intimidated by it but once you learn it's a doddle. Maybe get her some CO2 cartridges? Pumping up a tyre is the hardest part.

Well the wheels are low pressure (50-60psi), but on reflection she could fold up the bike and take a taxi home for the price of that yoke. D'oh!
    She's not commuting either, or going far, so double d'oh!

As for teaching her to repair a tyre, I can't see that going well - I tend to get stressed up enough fixing my own punctures.

re. marathon tyres, I'll see how much mileage she does before getting upgraditis, hard though it is to resist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

I use Ultra Seal on the motorbike, Brilliant stuff and its suitable for all wheels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭SubLuminal

Changing a tube or patching one is pretty easy, she could learn to do it and solve the problem entirely - self suffiency always comes in handy at some point tell her!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I have heard it works around 50% of the time. I have Vittoria Pit Stop myself for tubulars but luckily have not yet had to try it. I'd teach her how to fix the puncture... although there are other lady cyclists who rely on there being a man around to do it for her.

Advertisement