Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New first tattoo . . Bit concerned . .

Options
  • 15-07-2010 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭

hi,

I got my first tattoo last friday (6 days ago). . Its on the back of my wrist (where you would put your watch).

I was told about the scab, the itchiness, the potential infection and have been applying ointment to it (admittedly irregularly).

I kept surrounded by plastic for 2 days (was told 3 but didnt think there would be a problem). I was drinking on Sunday ( 2 days after getting tattoo) which I know can cause problems if you do this the day before getting the tattoo (nothing about it causing problems after tattoo has been done).

The last day or so I have been concerned that the ink is actually peeling off (like its all in the scab and coming out) and a piece just came off there and I am pretty sure that I can see skin (as in I can see skin color where I should see black!).

Also, even though it hasnt fully healed yet, I think I can see patches (skin beside black in the letters).

When your man was doing it he had to change the needle because he had trouble getting the ink to go into (or stay) in my arm. I wasnt drinking the night before, but I do tend to dehydrate quickly in this weather!

Anybody got any advice as I was going to go back there (paid €80 for a fairly small 5 letter simple tattoo) and I want to make sure Im not pawned off with lingo or "sure it will heal properly in 3 weeks", since I am not that tattoo savy! !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Leave it anoterh week untill all the scab falls off (for the love of god dont peel it or pick at it).

Then you will wonder what all the panic was about.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Pierced Off

Leave it another week. Moisturise it REGULARLY! Then see if you can see "skin" if so, get your/an artist to touch it up. If you use a moisturiser and it is only dry skin, by then it will all be nice and black.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Thanks for the advice people . . I will give it another week so and moisturise it. .

I got some special tattoo cream which I will just keep applying . .

If I do have to go back for a "touch up", would I be expected to pay more or would it be normal for the guy who did it to fix it up free?

Just looking to know what to expect, again thanks for the tips . .

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭tread_softly

Bepanthen is a great cream to use on tattoos. It's a nappy rash cream so it's really moisturising but also lets your skin breathe.

My tattoos get very dry and this stuff is a miracle.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Pierced Off

Touch up policies vary. Some places don't charge for fixing up their tattoos. Others have a charge of around €10 to cover needles, inks, sterilisation etc. Some just apply their minimum tattoo charge. Check with your own artist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Use LOADS of Bepanthen. I completely covered my tattoo on my calf in Bepanthen and it never scabbed up in the slightest or even itched because I moisturized it so frequently.

As to the ink not taking to your skin right, I'm pretty sure that that wouldn't be considered to be the tattooist's fault but most places will do a free touch up if it's so soon after the tattoo was done.

How long should I wait to get the tattoo touched up ? I can clearly see it will need one . .

Also, I will check first with the place I got it done, but would other places possibly do it cheaper ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Correct me if im wrong but i think the touch up would be for free .

WIZE wrote: »
    Correct me if im wrong but i think the touch up would be for free .

I would of thought so . . I paid €80 for a small tattoo that didnt take long but I dont know what the norm is. .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭michael.etc...

Drumpot wrote: »
    How long should I wait to get the tattoo touched up ? I can clearly see it will need one . .

Also, I will check first with the place I got it done, but would other places possibly do it cheaper ?

In this case it certainly sounds like a touch-up should be free, it generally is, if what you've paid for hasn't been delivered perfectly. If it's not like you picked at it, or alot of time has elapsed, i don't see why not.

But If I were you, I'd go and enquire with another artist what their opinion is. Doesn't sound like you did anything wrong, but in my experience, some of the things you mentioned in the original post (being told to keep a small tattoo covered for three days, the artist saying about the ink) are unusual.
    If you don't trust the original artist to touch it up, don't go to them. But if someone else was to rework it, you'd be paying full whack.

• Advertisement

In this case it certainly sounds like a touch-up should be free, it generally is, if what you've paid for hasn't been delivered perfectly. If it's not like you picked at it, or alot of time has elapsed, i don't see why not.

But If I were you, I'd go and enquire with another artist what their opinion is. Doesn't sound like you did anything wrong, but in my experience, some of the things you mentioned in the original post (being told to keep a small tattoo covered for three days, the artist saying about the ink) are unusual.
    If you don't trust the original artist to touch it up, don't go to them. But if someone else was to rework it, you'd be paying full whack.

Thanks very much for that . . It actually wasnt as itchy as I had been warned so I didnt need to "pick at it". The first letter looks really bad and faded, the others just look ok (good in parts). .

Im new to this so I really appreciate all the advice here everybody. :).

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

Can you post a pic?

Also, while most people find bepanthen (mentioned above) amazing, I also know of many people who have a reaction to it! Test it out on an area away from your tattoo first if your planning on using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Kento

Sorry to hijack this thread but I got my tattoo on Thurday and its started peeling. I havent been picking at it or anything but when I moisturise it bits of the colour come off on my hand. Is this meant to happen or am I rubbing it in too hard or what? Any advice appreciated

Shelli2 wrote: »
    Can you post a pic?

Also, while most people find bepanthen (mentioned above) amazing, I also know of many people who have a reaction to it! Test it out on an area away from your tattoo first if your planning on using it.

Thanks will try to . . First have to figure out how to get pictures from my Iphone to pc and then how to put them up on boards.ie ! ! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Kento wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack this thread but I got my tattoo on Thurday and its started peeling. I havent been picking at it or anything but when I moisturise it bits of the colour come off on my hand. Is this meant to happen or am I rubbing it in too hard or what? Any advice appreciated

It's perfectly normal, think of it like how your skin heals after sunburn, the top layers flake and peel off a little, and that's exactly what's happening. Keeping it clean, moisturised and well looked after all helps this to not have any impact on the tattoo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Midnight10

Hi All,

I too have recently got a tattoo a month ago of script on my inner wrist. I looked after it very well and it is now healed.
    My problem is that the lines are wobbly and are different thickness and there are alot of blobs on it where the artist started a new section, I have alots lots of blurry parts to it too, it's a mess and I am so disappointed as it was meant to be something very special to me..

I now need to have a cover up as I don't think it could be touched up and wonder if anyone could recommend a good artist.
    I am not going back to the guy who did it as I couldn't trust he would do a good job...

Any advise??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Midnight10 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I too have recently got a tattoo a month ago of script on my inner wrist. I looked after it very well and it is now healed.
    My problem is that the lines are wobbly and are different thickness and there are alot of blobs on it where the artist started a new section, I have alots lots of blurry parts to it too, it's a mess and I am so disappointed as it was meant to be something very special to me..

I now need to have a cover up as I don't think it could be touched up and wonder if anyone could recommend a good artist.
    I am not going back to the guy who did it as I couldn't trust he would do a good job...

Any advise??

Where are you living

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Midnight10

I live near kells, but I work in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

Whoever you choose to cover it up, still go back to the original artist and complain!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 daffodil21

Why do people get tatoos ? Never understood the attraction. Some explain please :) Curious

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 tommywiseau

they're not for everyone, only the cool people. and criminals and sailors obviously..:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

daffodil21 wrote: »
    Why do people get tatoos ? Never understood the attraction. Some explain please :) Curious
    Why do you wear make-up, why do you cut your hair, shave, cut your nails,fake tan.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭pajodublin

Why do you wear make-up, why do you cut your hair, shave, cut your nails,fake tan.

i dont do any of those, although i do have tattooes :)
    what a wacky world we live in

(yes i look like father jack)

looks old, patchy and faded in parts. .

Would now be a good time to return to store ?

Sorry, dont know how to put in smaller picture !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Drumpot wrote: »
    attachment.cgi?user=odrumgoole&sid=U930TL2ndjtMPdSip0nJwyE3bXtNHMJEAxcYnbq&mailbox=Inbox&sort=rdate&index=1&messageid=AANLkTikg2vunrrJ0zV8KMj3zsUJ_6L-uUX1csfxb2B%40mail.gmail.com&enc=base64&offset=7997&filename=002.JPG&ctype=image%2FjpegIts been two weeks now since I got it and it looks old, patchy and faded in parts. .

Would now be a good time to return to store ?

Sorry, dont know how to put in smaller picture !
    You're picture doesn't seem to show up. Try uploading it on imageshack or photobucket.

You're picture doesn't seem to show up. Try uploading it on imageshack or photobucket.

Thanks . . Didnt know about that . .

002.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Pauleeeeeeee

Yeh, the artist did a shít job alright.

Not to worry though, you'll definitely be able to get that fixed up by anyone half decent at tattooing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

its not a **** job. its clear, unscarred. losing ink from black lettering on your wrist is not unheard of, frankly. I am sure the artist will have not issue with a free touch up. no biggie

its not a **** job. its clear, unscarred. losing ink from black lettering on your wrist is not unheard of, frankly. I am sure the artist will have not issue with a free touch up. no biggie

Thanks . . Went back and like you said he did it up again for free (think he was embarrassed).

That was on Tuesday and I have had it moisturised and wrapped since then. Is it ok to take off the wrapping now after 4 days of cover ? Or should I keep it covered longer to prolong the time it will take to scar?

• Advertisement
Advertisement