Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stage 12 - Friday, July 16 2010, Bourg-de-Péage - Mende, 210 km

• 15-07-2010 5:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,460 ✭✭✭✭

nasty little kick at the end of this

Saluting Jalabert

Instead of two run-of-the-mill ‘transition’ stages between the Alps and the Pyrenees, Prudhomme and his team have opted to start the move westwards with a tricky day running through the Ardeche to the now well-known finish at Mende’s aerodrome atop the Montée Laurent Jalabert, so called after the Frenchman’s famous Bastille Day win there in 1995.

On heavy roads and over four categorised climbs, this stage could cause surprises, particularly if the temperature boils up. Spaniard Marcos Serrano won the last time the Tour finished here in 2005. Will a compatriot triumph today?

gr215513_600.jpg

gr214606_600.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

I wonder if Roche will go for this one tomorrow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

yeah didnt they have this in the PN this year? if so I call GC shennagins, especially roche, he might take 30+ seconds on the last climb to Mende.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

i've a feeling Schlek might attack on the last 3.1 climb into Mende. It is 10% gradient which i think is the highest of all the climbs this year. Could make things very interesting. I'd expect a break to stay away today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

Surely Sky have to do something. This much hyped team has had a disastrous tour so far and they're going to have little chance to do anything in the 3rd week.

EBH or even Thomas to take a shot today?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I'm thinking the same about Roche. I think it was in the paper today he said he'll be looking to make a move on one of the mountain stages, but I think this one might be for him. I don't think Schleck will make a move unless it's a reaction to Contador, I'd say they'll save themselves for the Pyranees.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Schleck seemed to indicate last night that this would be a stage that GC contenders would fight for. He said that he felt strong and was going to have a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Hope he does, getting a bit boring in the GC the last few days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

ROK ON wrote: »
    Schleck seemed to indicate last night that this would be a stage that GC contenders would fight for. He said that he felt strong and was going to have a go.
    hope he does, he needs to, every second will count for the final TT. every time he gets to have a pop at contador he should. and i believe he will based on saxo's efforts in cross winds yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

Armstrong spat out the back on first climb of day according to Graham Watson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,312 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Possibly another accident. Kloden got him back on.

Bog group trying to get away including Vinokourov. 18 riders apparently but so far I've only seen 4/5 names. Chartreu has already got himself ahead of Pineau in the race for polka dot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Guybrush T

And Hushovd's in the escape again, 4pts at the first sprint puts him even with Petacchi

He'll be disappointed to lose that sprint to a Lampre rider.

No chance this break will stya away though. Not with Vinoourov and Hejsdel in it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

If you're in Carlow looking at furniture and you hear TdF commentry coming over the sound system, it's the one I'm working in :)

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

i've a feeling Schlek might attack on the last 3.1 climb into Mende. It is 10% gradient which i think is the highest of all the climbs this year. Could make things very interesting. I'd expect a break to stay away today.

Is that because of the interview where he specifically said he was going to attack Contador today?

Note to Andy: keep it to yourself, element of surprise!

Saxo bank are using the energy needlessly, Astana have vino there getting a free ride :confused: let the jersey go lads and take it back in the pyrenees :confused:

clever riding from Astana, but saxo should know better :confused:

got inthere just before kelly said it!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Is that because of the interview where he specifically said he was going to attack Contador today?

Note to Andy: keep it to yourself, element of surprise!

Also works,if you're not going to attack, and you say you are,they'll all be really paranoid waiting for it, and if you say it a few times and don't do it,eventually,they won't believe you anymore so it won't matter what you say.

It would have worked better if Frank was there,Andy saying he'll attack and everybody will watch him and Frank will go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Anyone got a link?

Looks like the break will stay away until the next intermediate sprint so Hushovd will gain another few points. I think that climb at the end is too steep for Petacchi or Cav to get up so he's probably rode himself back into green.

Last climb could get mad, but I'm going to say Gesink will shoot off and claim the stage. Sanchez adn Rodriguez being the main obstacles.

18 is huge for a breakaway no?

Why don't they push on and try to get a bigger lead than the 2 minutes it's been hovering at the last half hour. Ok, prob easier said than done if the peloton is chasing and not allowing the gap to grow, still though, they could be putting a little extra pressure on

• Advertisement

joker77 wrote: »
    18 is huge for a breakaway no?
    Its big but loads of breaks start this way. If usually helps as the more teams involved in the break, the less likely the chase will succeed.
    Why don't they push on and try to get a bigger lead than the 2 minutes it's been hovering at the last half hour. Ok, prob easier said than done if the peloton is chasing and not allowing the gap to grow, still though, they could be putting a little extra pressure on

I'm sure they're going full pelt. Once riders like Vino and Hejsdal were involved saxo bank couldn't let the time gap drift like yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Guybrush T

Dodge wrote: »
    He'll be disappointed to lose that sprint to a Lampre rider.

No mistake in the second one, 6pts, he's back in green for now at least, you've got to admire him:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭nutzzz123

Farrar has abandoned the Tour!

more to follow....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Farrar has abandoned the Tour!

more to follow....

Is it because of his broken wrist or did something further happen to him today?

No pictures yet, commentary have no further info, but it looks definite

Now THIS is a finish! Steeper, steeper damnit!

Vino, the bauld boy, going for it

Here we go!

• Advertisement

Contador going past Vino

Didn't look to happy that Vino couldn't stay with him over the top.

Boooo....

(saying that because I'd backed Contador to take the Yellow back today... stupidly)

Delighted Vino couldn't stay away. Delighted AC put 11 seconds into schleck. We'll see how everyone else falls over the line now

(BTW I mentioned Rodriguez in 3 names I gave earlier - didn't back him though)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Delighted Vino couldn't stay away. Delighted AC put 11 seconds into schleck. We'll see how everyone else falls over the line now

(BTW I mentioned Rodriguez in 3 names I gave earlier - didn't back him though)

I don't like AC, too much dirt on him, would rather see Shleck win the tour,

• Advertisement

Roche where?

Edit:
    Nicolas Roche 20th on stage at 31 seconds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Strange one that from Roche. Really expected him to use this stage to do something and try a last few km attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Yeah, spotted him coming in at the back of the yellow jersey group. Not too bad in the end as I thought he'd lose a lot more time on the the climb when I saw him behind a struggling Wiggins falling off the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Magnus Backstedt looks like a darts player in that shirt.

he didnt get a chance to, he went out the back door when the tempo went up.

Who is the bigger muppet Vino or Bert?

Bert for chasing down his lead and only gaining 10 seconds over schleck..
    or Vino for being Vino and trying to take a shot at Bert :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

well not quite minute-by-minute but better than none at all for those of you who can't watch or listen - sorry if this is repost

iregk wrote: »
    Strange one that from Roche. Really expected him to use this stage to do something and try a last few km attack.

He's not a good enough climber to attack on a 10% gradient climb. To be fair he's doing a great ride if he can keep up with Sastre, Basso etc

Fine result again for him though and he's leapfrogged Hesjedal and gained more time on Rogers too

poochiem wrote: »
    well not quite minute-by-minute but better than none at all for those of you who can't watch or listen - sorry if this is repost

This is a better link if you're stuck with text (as I can be) http://live.cyclingnews.com/

EDIT; Actually Roche is still 14th. Only 19 seconds behind Hesjedal

me@ucd wrote: »
    he didnt get a chance to, he went out the back door when the tempo went up.

Who is the bigger muppet Vino or Bert?

Bert for chasing down his lead and only gaining 10 seconds over schleck..
    or Vino for being Vino and trying to take a shot at Bert :pac:
    Vino was getting caught either way though

Farrar's wrist flared up on the climbs, according to Shane Stokes, said he would have found it hard going today and that's why he abandoned

Farrar's wrist flared up on the climbs, according to Shane Stokes, said he would have found it hard going today and that's why he abandoned

Thats all the wanker signs he was shaking at Cavendish all day

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Beached

Great finish to the stage today. Only watching it in work without sound, so i mistook Roche for Gadret when he made that burst. Its a great TdF this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,460 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Thats all the wanker signs he was shaking at Cavendish all day

stage wins cav 3 farrar ..................................

winey git anyway good riddance all i ever here from farrar is how someone blocked him ore someother lamo excuse, if he was at the front in the first place wouldnt be a prob !

and i missed the end of the stage damn customers and their phone calls

stage wins cav 3 farrar ..................................

relax, I was making a joke (you know, that Farrar thinks cav's a wanker) rather than commenting on the issue at hand (if you'll pardon the pun)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Is it just me of is Farrar's timing just terrible. Now I'm more a climber than I am a sprinter. To be honest I'm a terrible sprinter but just looking in this tour at Kav, Allesandro and Tyler he just always seems to leave it way too late and by the time her reacts the other two are too far out of reach.

• Advertisement
Advertisement